A Year Has Past, And So Much Has Changed

Options
With all that has happen lately, I lost track of the days. Finally coming out of the post knee surgery pain, meds and confusion, I realized that I had missed out on the passing of Christmas, New Years and my first anniversary with MFP.

My sweet hubbie and I didn't even open our Christmas presents for several days after that Christmas had passed, because I was so tired, sore and in a fog from all the pain meds. New Years Day came and went, but all remember was being awaken by small explosions of fireworks around the neighborhood. I made a mental note that it must be midnight, but the coming of 2014 didn't register.

Today, I went to my profile and found several sweet messages from friends, wishing Ed and I a great New Year. Today, I suddenly realized...It is 2014. Wow! That is a big anniversary year for me. 20 years ago, my life changed more than any other time.

In January of 1994, my father and stepmom died in the Northridge earthquake. On the day of the funeral, I realized that my marriage of 22 years was over. My very unloving husband was lusting after my own sister. She was falling for him, and I was just an obstacle in their path.

I asked for a divorce and had to rediscover who I was after years in loveless marriage. I learned to love myself again, to make choices 'for me', to manage money (sometimes well and other times poorly) but a learned. During those first years, I met some good men but not the right man for me.

In 2004, my life changed again. That was the year of bigger changes. I had become a Christian in August of 2002 and been learning how to live my life in a new way. That year, God sent me to Silver Springs, Nevada. I sold my childhood home and simply asked God to give me ‘a teacher’ in my new home in the high desert. He gave me so much more. That was where I met Pastor ‘Special Ed’ Curry.

He knew that I was the one for him and proposed within days of our first meeting, and the past 10 ten years have been filled with his love in my life.

In November 2012, the years of carrying anywhere from 240 to almost 290 pounds caught up to me. I was borderline diabetic and confined to a wheelchair with severe osteoarthritis in my knees. That’s when a Kaiser doctor offered me help, double knee replacement surgery; but I had to do ‘one important thing’. I had to lose at least 70 pounds.

Like many people, I thought that was an impossible task. I mentally tried to find ‘anything’ that could make that goal seem REAL and ATTAINABLE. I even pondered the idea of gastric surgery, but witnessed too many failures within Ed’s family and our friends to consider that surgical option, because it seemed to offer with more risks and successes. The only other choice was the good, old fashion DIET. How I hate that 4 letter word.

After one month of only meal supplement shakes and bars, I was losing weight; but my doctor insisted that I must eat some ‘regular food’.

That’s went My Fitness Pal came into my life. Late in December 2012, I went looking for a free calorie counting program to help me ‘diet’. I FOUND SO MUCH MORE. I found people…loving, understanding, wise friends who were engaged in the same battle to lose weight and get healthy. They were also there to for me, :flowerforyou:

2013 was a marvelous year, I saw my weight drop by more than 90 pounds. I overcame my fear of letting people see me in a bathing suit and rediscovered my childhood love of the water. Swimming laps toned my body, strengthened my now 68 year old frame and muscles. I dropped clothing sizes so quickly last year, going from size 32 to size 16 in pants from 4X to size 20 in tops.

Throughout all of this, my beloved Special Ed has been at my side, encouraging me and joining me, as we both got healthier. He became a curious companion on my MFP journey too, always asking about my friends online and asked what they were posting. They were his friends too.

Almost 3 weeks ago, I finally got my double knee replacement surgery which offers me a future free of wheelchairs and walkers…a new life with my wonderful husband that will let us do so much more, because I will be able to stand, to walk, to run, to ride a bike or doing anything that I haven’t been able to do for so many years ago.

I won’t say that this past month has been a happy. No, it has been filled with pain; but I am getting better; and soon, I will be healed; and the pain will be gone.

I can look back and see where I started. I can look forward and see the future without pain in a healthier body. I don’t even know where my final goals will be. That is still for the future, but I feel better today than I could have hoped for myself JUST ONE YEAR AGO…when I found MFP online.

I thank God for MFP, for my sweet friends in this wonderful place and for a future coming true. :smile:

Replies

• Jinxy10236
    Options
    I love reading your blogs and posts, they are so encouraging and give many of us hope that we too can accomplish what you have! Happy New Year & God Bless.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Aw that's sooo uplifting to read :o)
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bless you, Sue!
    It's so good to have you back!
    I'm looking forward to read your blogs about your new adventures.
    You are blessed, and have the love of a good man.

Best wishes!
  • irrsha
    irrsha Posts: 6
    Options
    welcome back my sweet friend. I was waiting and preying for you,only you were the reason of my daily log in. I was so worried about you,about your recovery,and thanks GOD you are here again. you don't know me and I don't know you but all I know is.. you are a brave, strong lady and I respect you a lot. wishing you good health.
  • bridget_williamson23
    Options
    Welcome back Sue. Thank you so much for sharing with us! You are such an inspiration. We've been praying for you. I can't imagine the pain you've gone through these last 3 weeks but you are tough and it sounds like you are on the uphill side! Hang in there sweet lady. God has amazing adventures for you and Ed to share!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story ! Thank you so much for sharing :)
    God Bless !
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think its time for a new profile pic Sue. You are not that woman any more.
  • hmhteacher
    hmhteacher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! So glad you have been able to find happiness! Hope 2014 brings many wonderful things your way!
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! I can't think of a more deserving person to receive God's many blessings! Power to you and Our Lord.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have read several of your blogs. This one is probably the best yet.....you have overcome so much and have so much to look forward to!!

Blessing on you and Special Ed!!!!
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. It is filled with so much gratitude and reminders that, no matter what happens, if we keep moving, there is always something better around the corner.

All the best of 2014 to you!
  • smiffy0306
    smiffy0306 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow you have been through it, I wish you all the Health and Happiness you deserve and congratulations on the weight loss :smile:
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are a true testament that you can change your life. It's not will power it's determination. So glad you have be able to accomplish the things you have and I know that the future is bright for you.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Oh my Sue, what a difficult tragedy, to lose your parents and then realize your marriage was over!! I am so happy that you found God and Ed and that your path has been full of love since that time!!! Awesome!!!!

I am curious and of course you don't have to answer if you choose not to, but do you still have contact with your sister? Is she still with your ex husband? I am so sorry you had to go through that pain, but I am so happy you have been richly rewarded!!!!
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sue,
    I am so thrilled you are doing better!
    Happy Anniversary!
    You are an inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You sound so much better. We were all worried about you and praying. I know it is a rough road, two at once, but the future lies before you and it looks bright! Sorry you missed so much , but welcome t o 2014. Wishing you and Ed a marvelous, healthy, and blessed New Year! :-)
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I want to hit "Like" on your post. You've done a lot to inspire me. I feel I know you a little bit more with every post. I even read your posts to my husband and when Ed was ill and when you were not on because of your surgery, we were both concerned. I'm glad that you are recovering. I'm excited to hear more about your progress as time moves on. :smile:
  • bvhlvr40
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspirational story.
  • zenpoppy
    zenpoppy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What a Great Woman..... you made me cry with your honesty.....:cry::flowerforyou:
  • NoTry_JustDo
    Options
    Your life is an amazing story, and not always a happy one, I know. But I believe you've found your happy ending and I wish you the most fulfilling 2014 that you can possibly imagine, my friend.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!