overtraining when restarting strength training

Options
Hi everybody,

So here's the deal. I try to lift heavy. I am a weak little girl, but dammit, I try. Anyway.

So, I took about about 3 weeks off my lifting, and then last week I decided to start up again and picked up where I left off. Bad idea. It was leg day. I almost puked and have been sore for a week.

I try to do 3 sets of 8-15 reps(anywhere in there where I reach fatigue/failure). I was squatting 60 pounds with dumbbells(previous I would do 60 pounds with a 25-lb barbell. Why I could do that and not 60 lb dumbbells with ease is beyond me) and did lunges with two 20-lb dumbbells. 3 sets and I am absolutely wrecked, even though I could have done it with ease two weeks earlier.

So basically, how should I ease back into this? Simply not push myself to do so many reps? Knock of a set? Drop my weight by 5 or so pounds? Open to suggestions.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I was squatting 60 pounds with dumbbells(previous I would do 60 pounds with a 25-lb barbell. Why I could do that and not 60 lb dumbbells with ease is beyond me) and did lunges with two 20-lb dumbbells. 3 sets and I am absolutely wrecked, even though I could have done it with ease two weeks earlier.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure I understand what you did. Did you previously have a 25 lb barbell with 60 lbs added, for a total of 85 lbs? Or was 60 lbs your total, including the barbell? When reporting/logging these things, it should be the total weight. But the way you worded it is a little weird. Also, were you doing two 60 lb dumbbells, for a total of 120 lbs? Or two 30 lb dumbbells, for a total of 60 lbs? When reporting/logging dumbbells, one typically just uses the weight of a single dumbbell. Again, the way you have it worded (especially since you point out that your lunges are with two 20 lb DBs) is a little weird. And if you are using two 60 lb dumbbells (120 lbs total, vs 60 or 85 lbs via barbell - whichever), that's a lot more weight. I'd suspect you'd be tired.

In any case, it's a little surprising that 3 weeks off would give you this much trouble. However, since you took more than a week off - and are having trouble - I'd suggest resetting by 10%. In short, if you were doing a total of 60 lbs for squats before, you'd lower that amount by 10% for 54 lbs. Of course, it's doubtful you have the exact plates to do 54 lbs - so pick either 50 or 55.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have found the same thing, that when I take any amount of time off from lifting, it's hard to get back into it. I usually do fewer reps and that works for me to get back into it. But any of the solutions you mentioned would probably work. Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in. Good luck!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was squatting 60 pounds with dumbbells(previous I would do 60 pounds with a 25-lb barbell. Why I could do that and not 60 lb dumbbells with ease is beyond me) and did lunges with two 20-lb dumbbells. 3 sets and I am absolutely wrecked, even though I could have done it with ease two weeks earlier.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure I understand what you did. Did you previously have a 25 lb barbell with 60 lbs added, for a total of 85 lbs? Or was 60 lbs your total, including the barbell? When reporting/logging these things, it should be the total weight. But the way you worded it is a little weird. Also, were you doing two 60 lb dumbbells, for a total of 120 lbs? Or two 30 lb dumbbells, for a total of 60 lbs? When reporting/logging dumbbells, one typically just uses the weight of a single dumbbell. Again, the way you have it worded (especially since you point out that your lunges are with two 20 lb DBs) is a little weird. And if you are using two 60 lb dumbbells (120 lbs total, vs 60 or 85 lbs via barbell - whichever), that's a lot more weight. I'd suspect you'd be tired.

In any case, it's a little surprising that 3 weeks off would give you this much trouble. However, since you took more than a week off - and are having trouble - I'd suggest resetting by 10%. In short, if you were doing a total of 60 lbs for squats before, you'd lower that amount by 10% for 54 lbs. Of course, it's doubtful you have the exact plates to do 54 lbs - so pick either 50 or 55.

Sorry, I thought my wording was weird. With the barbell would make a total of squatting 85 pounds. With the dumbbells, I was only squatting a total of 60 lbs. Lunges were a total of 40 lbs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So you did 3 sets to failure of barbell squats, dumb bell squats & weighted lunges after 3 weeks off...makes sense that you'd be sore. I don't know why its that excessive, but people react different. My suggestion is make sure you really warm up, don't go to total failure and make sure you stretch and/or foam roll afterwards.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    hey..

good on you for lifting heavy. its the best. ;) I love it

I find less reps is better. If you are doing up to 15 reps that might be why you are burning out faster. I tend to do about 5-6 reps and 5 sets ;) I find that I can go heavier quicker and get more success. Make sure to also take adequate breaks between sets, don't restart a set after a couple seconds, you will burn out faster.

As for squats, I don't understand what you wrote. I will say that I took a couple weeks off from squats and had to lower my weight once I restarted. I prefer a barbell over a dumbbell for squats and dumbbells over bar bell for lunges. To ease back in perhaps do a couple sets of body weighted lunges and squats for the first couple leg days and add gradually. I will say, that every leg day That I have I get DOMS, regardless of how many times I have lifted the same weight. Leg days are hard, but are essential, stretching and foam rolling helps a lot ;)

Keep up the good work.. feel free to FR me ;) i love lifting.. ;)
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Will definitely work on my warm-ups and cool-downs a bit more. Thanks, everybody.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Overtraining usually means undersleeping or undereating.