Veterans Day, Send a Care Package!!!!

Options
nursevee
nursevee Posts: 344 Member
Hi everyone. I came here today to ask a favor! Many of us MFP'ers have loved one's who are serving or have servced in the Military at some point. Regardless of whether they're Active, Reserve or National Guard and which country they're in, they're all deserving of the recognition!!!

Currently, my husband is in Afghanistan and whilst a lot of folks get care packages from their loved ones, there are also plenty that don't. The PX's over there are not always well stocked and it's always nice to get a box from home with a few things!

I'm wondering (if it's not too much to ask) whether I can call upon you to perhaps assemble one package to send to a soldier that is serving. I know that my husband is more than able to hand out packages (especially to some of the guys and girls that don't get stuff from home). USPS provides flat rate shipping boxes which vary from small to large and they're fairly reasonably priced. You can cram them with as much or as little as you would like and regardless of weigh, it's one flat shipping fee.

I stopped and realized the other day that I was sending a lot of candy and pretty icky stuff and it wasn't until my boy weighed in and realized he's gained some pounds since deploying that I came to my senses... I need to send some tasty, healthy snacks!

Items like healthy homemade cookies or protein bars are fabulous! Canned fruit (in natural juice - believe it or not, fruit is a rarity), granola bars (pre-packaged or homemade are awesome) and Nuts/Dried fruit in their natural state. Of course I'm not picky and neither are they. When you're deployed you're just grateful to receive a box and know that someone is thinking of you!!!

If you'd like to help out and send a package to a Soldier, please email me at: vhamner79@gmail.com or send me a message through MFP and I will gladly provide you with an address that you can mail your goodies too.

Once again, my husband will help distribute the packages to random soldiers and if you want to identify whether your package is for a female/male/whoever, then you can just scrawl it on the side of the box too. Given that Xmas is also almost upon us, this would be a wonderful way to show your appreciation!

Many thanks for reading this!!!!!

- Vee

Replies

• Ferdiebirdy
    Ferdiebirdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind but here is another amazing way to support the troops. It's a group that send 2 foot LIVE Christmas trees to deployed soldiers. I've sent them personally and they are adorable. They come with lights and ornaments and make it smell like Christmas in the desert. They are WAY behind on donations this year. It's $25 dollars to send a tree, but they will accept any donation. It also is nice for busy folks who just don't have time to put together a care package but want to show their love. They can be designated to specific soldiers, so really if you(the OP) know of people who are over there they could be designated to go to them as well :) Just a though. Hope you don't mind.

http://www.operationchristmastree.com/index.php

Another favorite of mine is Green Beans coffee, they accept donations and give the soldiers a free cup of coffee. It's the Cup of Joe for a Joe program. It also allows you to send a letter to them. My husband got some very touching letters while deployed. Although many places can't support this program so the more remote places in Afghanistan and Iraq don't get coffee, so care packages are nice too :) It's only $2 to send a cup of coffee for people on a tight budget.

http://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/index.php

Hope you don't mind me just jumping in. I just thought I'd offer a few other things that I've used and sent to my hubby :)

Happy Veterans Day to those of you on here who have served, and thanks from me!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    They're some great suggestions as well!

There are definately some very worthy organisations out there and my mission is just to get people to realize how simple it is to send something (big or small, letters/postcards, donations to organizations that actively work to make life for our deployed military just a little better) to someone so they have a few reminders from home and know that people are thinking of them!

Appreciate the feedback!!

-Vee