whats your machine routine?

Options
I'm about a month into this new life style and I'm finally starting to get comfortable with the machines. My questions is, when I'm doing a circuit of machines I like to do 3 sets of 12 on each machine(between like 4 or 5 different ones). Do you do all three sets at the same time (with little breaks) or one set on one machine at a time and move to the next and then do the circle 3 times? Does it make a difference?

Replies

• moredib
    Options
    Hi Sjenkins0408!

I like to alternate between two different machines at a time, going back and forth between each after completing one set, then move on to the next two. I try to use two different muscle groups, so if i'm working my arms, then i'll go to a machine that uses legs or abs so that i don't tire a muscle group out too fast. I also get through my circuit training faster this way since I'm not just waiting for the rest intervals between sets. Keeps my heart rate up too. :)

Hope this helps!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One machine at a time.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and they have a circuit routine all set up. I do one weight machine, then cardio (steps, jumping jacks, etc.), then another weight machine, more cardio, etc. It takes 30 minutes and it's a great no-brainer workout. I'll do 30 minutes of cardio after that switching between the arc trainer, treadmill and elliptical. On my cardio days I alternate between the three machines.

Before I joined this gym I used to use regular weight machines. I'd do three sets of 15 reps, resting for 30-60 seconds in between each set. I'd stay with one exercise until I finished all three sets and then I'd move on to the next exercise. With arms you want to do all pulling exercises on one day and then pushing exercises the next day.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do one at a time...you obviously don't want to strain/pull the muscle, but muscle grows when it is fatigued and then pushed harder, creating little tears (that's why you get sore after lifting) that then fill in with more muscle to compensate. So I like to do one set, rest for 20 seconds, then do my next set. This allows the muscle to rest and not strain, but does ensure that I am pushing it to grow.
  • Reesepc
    Options
    I like doing a circuit to keep my heart rate up. So I will jump from one machine to the next until I have done 3 sets of each. I do this for 5 exercises. Legs one day then arms another. Like for arms, i'll do bicept, tricept, shoulder, chest,etc 3 sets of 10-12. I incorporate abs every day but I do those last after every work out. And before all of this I warm up on either the elliptical or treadmill for 30-60min depending on the day...usually only 30 or 15 on each haha.