"total gym aka Chuck Norris Machine"

Options
I have a total gym .......I love it but not sure how to log it in the excercise ,,,,,,,,,If anyone knows can you please tell me ... Thanks

Replies

• Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I bought mine last year and it is just taking up space because I don't know how to log it. I have googled it, and the only thing I have found is people suggested getting a heart rate monitor.. I am going to have to pick one up because I would love to know how many calories I can burn with a workout.

I will continue my search though and let you know if I come up with anything.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shellbug... I bought a fitbit last sunday which I love since I love to walk etc etc but I think I should of gotten an HRM because now I want to know the calorie burn on my total gym UGH lol
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Maybe google it and see if anyone has any averages for calories burned on there
  • Shellbug75
    Options
    Ok, I may have found something here, but you may want to double check using your heart rate monitor. Here is a website that describes the average calories burned on the total gym for a certain weight. It looks like they are considering the exercise calisthenic (vigorous). So just a thought....do your workout and log it under calisthenic (vigorous). MFP does have that option. I'm going to give it a shot too.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/322053-the-calories-burned-on-a-total-gym/
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I bought mine last year and it is just taking up space because I don't know how to log it. I have googled it, and the only thing I have found is people suggested getting a heart rate monitor.. I am going to have to pick one up because I would love to know how many calories I can burn with a workout.

You're not using it because you don't know how to log it? seriously? any exercise is exercise, whether you log it or not!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The owner's manual should have a chart and a formula you can use to calculate how much weight you lift at each incline level and with each type of movement (one arm, two arms, board resistance, etc). You can use the chart/formula to figure out how "heavy" your reps are and log it as strength training just the same as you would free weights. As you lose weight, you'll need to make sure you are recalculating/looking up how much weight you are now lifting (each incline is a % of your weight, so as your weight declines so does the amount you are lifting).
  • Shellbug75
    Options

You're not using it because you don't know how to log it? seriously? any exercise is exercise, whether you log it or not!

I am exercising, but I like to keep track of what I am doing. So no, I'm not using it right now.
  • shortfire
    shortfire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tracked my TG workout with my Wahoo Fitness Blue - Heart Rate Monitor.

I just finished the Men's Intermediate - Upper Body - Day 1, 3 workout.

I am 5'10", 190 lb., male.

I did the minimum numer of set and reps for all exercises in the prescribed workout. It took me exactly 27 min. and 16 sec. to complete. I burned 264 calories.

Hope that helps.
  • Muggsmagee
    Options
    I had the same problem. I couldn't find an accurate percentage of weight lifted per level, etc. One of my pals said I can enter my TG workouts in Cardiovascular under "strength training" (weight lifting/weight training). So that's what I'm doing! Nothing is 100% accurate without using a personal heart rate monitor, but I feel better logging this in and having my efforts go towards my daily calorie burn.

To Shellbug...I did the same thing. Stopped working out on the TG when it wouldn't count towards my daily goals. I wanted to "see" the numbers and my efforts in writing! lol. It was easier to enter cardio workouts. So now, you have no excuse! Get back on your TG and log it in! ;0)
  • Shellbug75
    Options
    I had the same problem. I couldn't find an accurate percentage of weight lifted per level, etc. One of my pals said I can enter my TG workouts in Cardiovascular under "strength training" (weight lifting/weight training). So that's what I'm doing! Nothing is 100% accurate without using a personal heart rate monitor, but I feel better logging this in and having my efforts go towards my daily calorie burn.

To Shellbug...I did the same thing. Stopped working out on the TG when it wouldn't count towards my daily goals. I wanted to "see" the numbers and my efforts in writing! lol. It was easier to enter cardio workouts. So now, you have no excuse! Get back on your TG and log it in! ;0)

Well, since you said it nicely, I will start using mine again :flowerforyou:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Indeed

It makes no sense to not use something simply because you don't know how to log it.
  • tonymyles
    tonymyles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this (you'll need to create a free membership): http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-total-gym-workout