Anyway to make salads more appetizing??

Options

Replies

• rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressing to make is just olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, grated or finely minced garlic, salt and pepper. Low in calories, healthy fats from the EVOO, super tangy and delicious on just about anything: salads, veggies, as a dipping oil for bread, etc.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There are tons of different kinds of salads out there id keep trying different ones til you find some you like.
  • workitsassy
    Options
    Instead of dressing I drizzle a very high quality aged balsamic vinegar on salads.... That's it. No oil- nothing else. You must pay over $25 a bottle for a really good one, but well worth it. You can even get some flavoured ones if you wish.

Sometimes I make a huge plate of cucumbers, tomato, chopped fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.... practically no calories.

Other great salads I make are mixed lettuce greens ( of course) covered with sautéed warm pear slices and onions.... REALLY tasty with a bit of goat cheese if you don't mind the calories from the cheese.

Also I will often sauté asparagus, sprinkle a bit of parmesan on it and top that on a salad. Adds the bit of veggie nutrition you need and makes a salad look and taste beautiful.

Salads can become your favourite food... they have mine.

Good Luck.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    my daughter made salads in Mason Jars for our Christmas. She found them on Pinterest. I will be making those to take to work, all types you can make.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    favorite salads, mixed baby greens, dried cranberries, walnuts, gala apple, feta cheese, and a half of tbls of homemade vinaigrette.
    I only use a couple tablespoons of the cranberries and nuts, and one ounce of feta cheese.

second fav salad, mixed greens, roasted pears, walnuts or nut of preference, crumbled blue cheese, and homemade dressing.

I also like to take arugala, beets, herbed goat cheese, apple, and w/e nut you want , w homemade dressing again.

Just measure all the fruit and nuts cause they can get caloric.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I add fresh herbs to the salad-- my favourite being cilantro. I will also add goat's cheese. I am a firm believer that cheese makes anything better.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i eat "salads" probably 5 times a week or more...but my salads almost never contain lettuce. I use shredded carrots or shredded cabbage (you can buy it shredded for cole slaw) as a base, and add at least 2-3 other tasty vegetables like tomatoes, bell peppers, snap peas, etc. Then, I add something that can give it a burst of flavor, like hot banana peppers or olives (watch your portions) or beets marinated in vinegar. I also like to give it some interesting texture by adding a couple of tbsp of sunflower seeds sometimes. Also, vary what protein you include. grilled chicken or canned tuna are pretty basic, but good. Or, you can try edamame, tofu, cottage cheese, bacon, leftovers from last night, etc.

For dressing, I like to mix mustard and/or balsamic vinegar into some plain greek yogurt. One time i even microwaved a few raspberries, mushed them up, and put that in to the mix.

Salad is such a generic term, but there's so many different ways to do it.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating salads much for the last couple months as I've been favoring more warm, comforting foods, such as soups. However, I recently discovered my love for salad by trying some new varieties! Put things you love in the salad and there'd be no reason not to like it. Make sure you're including healthy fats in your salad, in the form of oil, avocado, or nuts; while it will increase calories, your salad will be more satisfying and you will be able to absorb more nutrients.

Some of my favorite salads:

My go-to side salad is a spring mix/baby spinach blend with diced baby carrots, cucumber slices, and bell pepper slices with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

At the whole foods salad bar, I get baby spinach with shredded beets, shredded carrots, cucumber slices, sliced almonds, chicken breast, and no-oil pomegranate vinaigrette.

My favorite salad recipe is spring mix with blanched sugar snap peas, sliced strawberries, blueberries, diced kiwi, banana slices, pine nuts, and Trader Joe's low-calorie raspberry vinaigrette.

I also love eating grilled tilapia, seasoned only with salt and pepper, on a bed of spring mix, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like to use cottage cheese instead of salad dressing. It's a better food than dressing and it does the job.... moisten the salad. I happen to love cottage cheese anyway. Also if you are going to have salad, add some good sources of protein such as beans or chickpeas.

I love cottage cheese in my salad too :smile:
    I especially like it along with tuna and onion :happy:
  • pheona76
    Options
    1) I would say the same as others if lettuce is the problem. Healthy/Salad does not necessarily mean lettuce or even leafy green. Or raw. Just mix up any veggies and healthy protein companions you like.

2) Also, cooled roasted veggies. Like roasted beets, red peppers, zucchini or eggplant. I love 'em. No lettuce needed.

3) If it is the texture try a different chop. You can buy a lot of pre-chopped items. Shredded carrots. Broccoli slaw (has no dressing. It just refers to the chop) Try julienne cut veggies. Even the leafy greens can be julienne. Julienne works really well on cabbages, such as red cabbage or napa cabbage, brussel sprouts or even endives.

4) Try herb based salads. These need little more then an acid to flavor like lemon juice, lime juice, rice vinegar or red wine vinegar. Think Tabouleh. Use Cilantro, Parsley or Mint as the leafy base. Add flavorful grains bulgur, Quinoa. Add chopped flavorful veggies and Fruit like tomatoes, cucumbers, mango, pineapple, jicama, Asian pear, apple...

Hope that helps
  • pheona76
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I am going to try this.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    salad is so much better when you have fresh ingredients. there are some salads i absolutely refuse to eat (ie anything with lettuce).

my favorite salad is a mix i make at home that contains

fresh kale, baby spinach, shredded purple cabbage, cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, avocado, chicken * trader joes asian peanut dressing
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always make my own dressing, one salad at a time.
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sherry vinegar
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Splash Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper

It's quick, tasty and fresh. I used to use balsamic vinegar, but now I'm a diehard sherry vinegar fan.

I also make a Greek salad mix:
    2 cups each of chopped cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes (I use cherry and gem tomatoes), and red onion.

Then I just scoop out 2 cups of the mix, add the dressing above, 1/2 ounce of feta, and a few kalamata olives, and it's ready to eat. You'll have 4 salads in total this way.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I can't be much of a help, because I love salads. But try with lemon juice? It's really healthy. The only thing I add is or lemon juice or salt.
  • barbi_jean
    barbi_jean Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love salads. I use Hot Sauce for my dressing.. 0 Calories and Yummy! Franks Red Hot Sauce is the best!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I like salads if they have very minimal lettuce, lots of bacon oh and some grape tomatoes... yea that's pretty much my salads.. throw in some tuna and that's one of my typical lunches.

OP if you don't enjoy salads you don't have to eat them.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My (awesome) lunch salad today:
    Romaine, hummus, Trader Joe's fat-free balsamic vinaigrette, smoked Gouda, tomato, zucchini, shrimp, baked tofu, and Trader Joe's corn and chili salsa.
    It was delicious, lots of protein and about 400 cals.
  • goneforawhile
    goneforawhile Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just put hot sauce on it, no dressing.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    02-bolthouse-farms-chunky-blue-cheese-lgn.jpg

My favorite dressing by far. Plus I love meat on my salad. Tuna,beef,chicken. Add cheese or hard boiled eggs. Mix it up a bit. Good luck.

Love these dressings, the Thousand Island is my favorite. Want to try the Ranch when what my we have runs out.