Need help sticking to C25k...

Options
I've been an "on-again-off-again" runner... trying to stick with the C25k program in order to run in my first 5k by April. I always quit 6-7 weeks in and then have to restart. I'm turning 40 this October, and I want to celebrate it while being in the best shape of my life.

I've started a journal to help me stay on task with my health... I'm not only tracking food and exercise through MFP, but also hours slept, mood, etc. in a handwritten journal. I really want to stick with it this time.

Any inspiration you can give would be great, including staying on me about logging my exercise and eating right. If you're just getting into C25k, it'd be great to encourage each other.

Thanks.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Brandi

Replies

• juniperus14
    Options
    Hi Brandi. I'm new here too but thought that I would jump in. I did C25k a couple of years ago and had to start from the beginning a couple of times before getting to 5k - life gets in the way sometimes! If you don't know about them already, the NHS podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx) were helpful and encouraging. There is nothing that I hate more than watching the clock! They also have a podcast for speed work that you can use for your race.

I hope that that is kind of helpful!
  • nutmeg3711
    Options
    Not sure how helpful I can be, but I'm also turning 40 this year (April) and would love to start running again. I'm pretty out of shape and haven't run a 5k in a couple of years so I'm working up to starting C25k again. I just started going to the gym again this week, and I'm really hoping to make it a habit. My bigger goal is to lose weight--ideally 20-25 pounds by my birthday. If you want to friend me, I'd be up for regular check ins for our C25k goals.

Best,
    Margaret
  • loneyota
    loneyota Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be starting C25K on Thursday after a physical, and I'd be happy to trade motivation and nagging :)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The best way to stay motivated? Pick a 5k you want to run that's a few months out from now. Register. Now you have a goal, you've put down the money, you're on the list of runners and have a target completion date. That's how I did it and it worked like a charm :-)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    what causes you to quit 6 weeks in? to hard? Bored?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Great group!

I think the most important piece of advice is not being afraid to repeat a workout. There is no rule saying you need to complete the program in a specific amount of time.

Taking a little longer to complete the program is much better than giving up after a really hard workout and starting all over on a later date.

Also do not worry about speed right now. It will come naturally in time. Right now your focus should be to gradually build up your aerobic conditioning by increasing distance over time

exercise.png
  • reds_1
    reds_1 Posts: 59
    Options
    Just started C25K today. Had a treadmill since October and use it 5 or 6 days a week. But just got at a pace that I feel like doing. Been meaning to commit to some sort of program for a month or so, but have been really busy. This is 30 minutes 3 times a week, so I feel like I can totally manage that. Friends doing the program also would be appreciated...
  • aswarty
    aswarty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've also started C25K quite a few times and after the first week I sort of lose interest. I've had a treadmill at home for about a year now and it's collected more dust than it's been used. It'd be great to have some friends who are not only doing the program but also working towards a healthier lifestyle for some motivation :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy running? What is it that ends up making you quit? I ask because I spent months and months trying to force the issue and be a runner...but really, my heart wasn't truly into it; I was doing it mostly because...well, that's just what people do to be fit right?

Last year I was training for a sprint triathlon and ultimately ended up injuring myself...but that's when I discovered I really liked cycling and swimming...I really didn't like running (though I found it tolerable while I was training for the tri). Since I didn't get to do my sprint triathlon, I'm going to go for it again in Sept which will require me to run again...but other than that, I pretty much cycle and will occasionally knock out a couple miles here and there for the fact that I'm sick and like torturing myself....

TL/DR - make sure you're doing something you enjoy...you'll stick with it better.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think the most important piece of advice is not being afraid to repeat a workout. There is no rule saying you need to complete the program in a specific amount of time.

Taking a little longer to complete the program is much better than giving up after a really hard workout and starting all over on a later date.

^This.

It took me about 6 months to do the ten-week program. I repeated weeks often, and if I had missed a few weeks I would only go back a week or two, instead of going all the way back to the beginning. If you stick with it you will get there!
  • lynnsmilin
    lynnsmilin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awweee! best wishes to you... you can do this!!! and be healthier and stronger in the progress... Cheering you on!!!!