Ways to cook up Fish

Options
Greetings MFP world! I don't eat much fish, just the frozen breaded kind - PC Blue Menu Scottish Fish is my favorite of them all. I would like to try either poaching or baking fish but I always end up doing a drive-by when near the fish section in the grocery store. I used to watch giada de laurentiis cooking shows all the time and this one time I had seen her cook up cod or haddock with lima beans. I always said I'd try that but I never did. Thought I'd post topic on ways to cook up fish for, looking for recipes and/or some cooking techniques out there. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    As a chef I find seafood with it's distinct differences in flavor and texture to be the most versatile proteins going. If you like to try poaching then I would suggest a fish with some fat on it like salmon for example. All you need is a flavorful liquid (court bullion). Add sliced onion, celery, carrot to either water or a light vegetable stock, add some white wine, lemon, cilantro or crushed coriander seed, black pepper, ginger, star anise, and boil for 5 minutes to release some of those flavors. Add the salmon skin side down and bring back to a boil. Immediately take of the heat and let cook in the residual heat for about 10 minutes. Pretty simple and tasty.
  • bubblyjoolz
    bubblyjoolz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do my salmon in foil in the oven with asparagus, pepper, lemon and cherry tomatos, then wrap it up and put in oven, comes out nice and juicy, I usually serve it on greens, ie, bok choy, spinach, kale etc. :happy:
  • gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have 3 recipes I love and always cook:

1 - Baked dill salmon over zucchini noodles
    Put salmon fillets in a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Top salmon with a bit of dill. Bake for 20minutes at 180 degrees C
    In the meanwhile, wash and cut into small pieces a few asparagus and set aside.
    Using a juilienne peeler cut tiny strips from the zucchini and set aside.
    In a bowl mix 2Tbs greek yoghurt, juice and zest of half lemon, dill, pepper.
    Heat a tiny amount of olive oil (or coconut oil spray) in a non-sticky skillet. Add a bit of garlic powder. Add asparagus and let cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or so. Then add zucchini "noodles" and let cook for 2 minutes turning frequently (no more than that or they will turn soggy).
    Remove from heat, mix in yoghurt sauce. Put in plate and top with salmon fillet.

2 - Baked swordfish steaks
    Buy some nice swordfish steaks. Put in a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Top with a bit of pepper. Bake for 15 minutes in oven already hot at 180 C.
    After 15 minutes remove the baking sheet, top each steak with some lemon juice and parsley and bake for another 5 minutes.
    Serve with any salad or with steamed green beans

3 - Paprika shrimps with green beans
    This one is super quick if you buy frozen (peeled) shrimps and frozen green beans.
    Heat a non-sticky pan and spray a little olive/coconut oil. Add 1tbs paprika and 2 tbs of water.
    Then add frozen shrimps and let cook on both sides until nice and pink (you can even start cooking them in the microwave to reduce time).
    In the meanwhile cook green beans in the microwave (if frozen) or steam/boil them (if fresh).
    Add to shrimps and let soak flavours for 2-3 minutes.
    You can also add some cherry tomatoes if you please.
    Season with a bit of pepper and enjoy.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love to cook fish in parchment paper... take a nice light fish like haddock corvina or cod place it on parchment paper with a few slices of lemon, a pat of butter, salt, pepper and whatever other seasoning you prefer, form the parchment paper into a pouch and place it in the oven. It essentially steams the fish making it wonderfully light and fresh tasting!

Tilapia is another light fish that i like to cook, I season with lemon-pepper seasoning or a chili-paprika & lime seasoning and pan fry with non stick spray.

Salmon is a fave or mine as well, I tend to bake it in the oven with some sort of terriyaki glaze
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have anyone tried Hake? I noticed it at Costco for a reasonable price. But don't know anything about it or anyone who had it.
    The price is very reasonable but like some feedback
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i once marinated haddock in jamacain jerk sauce and baked it ...yummy!!!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    This is my Chinese mom's terrific recipe for any fish. It uses contact frying, which i have never seen elsewhere. Mom would have done whole carp, but I mostly do it with frozen white fish fillets such as tilapia. Have also done whole fresh salmon trouts which were spectacular.

Great thing about this recipe is that is easy, and you don't have to worry about the fish breaking when you turn it because it is smothered by the herb mixture which disguises any accidents. I make it often for dinner parties. Most of the oil stays in the serving dish, so you don't consume as much oil as the recipe actually calls for.

Fish Bonne Femme Chinese Style

Fish for 4 people
    a large bunch of spring onion
    1-2 cubic inches of fresh ginger
    soy sauce
    sugar or mirin (=sweet rice wine)
    dry vermouth or saki
    juice of a lemon or a splash of vinegar
    salt & peppper
    1/4 cup of neutral oil (I use olive oil)

Chop the ginger and spring onions fine. You can do this a few hours in advance if you put the chopped ginger under the spring onions in a deep bowl to prevent the ginger from discolouring due to contact with air. If you are doing this step more than 3 hours in advance, sprinkle some lemon juice over ginger and onion mixture to prevent discoloration.

When you are ready to serve, poach the fish until done, and place in a serving dish with a rim. You could also cook the fish in the microwave. Sprinkle the ginger onion mixture on top. Add a few big glugs of soy sauce, a glug vermouth or saki, a pinch of sugar, and a squeeze of lemon. Keep this warm in a low oven while you do the last step.

Bring the fish to the table. In the kitchen, heat the olive oil over a flame as hot as possible in a small saucepan--it should be just starting to smoke. Carry the oil to the table and carefully pour hot oil over the ginger onion mixture to blend the flavours. There will be a lot dramatic sizzling sounds.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Steam it with lemon and capers.
  • mona24523
    mona24523 Posts: 100
    Options
    I can't wait to try the shrimp and green beans
  • ruffycat
    ruffycat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Foil, or parchment, packets are a great and easy way to cook fish (white wine and sliced lemon with a little dill is my fav). Also, just buy some pre-mix seasoning like creole, lemon pepper, whatever you like. Sprinkle, bake and enjoy. Just keep an eye on sodium content. BJ's and costco have individual pre portioned frozen filets in many varities of fish which are easy to defrost and great for portion control.
  • NickiG724
    Options
    We season our Tilapia with a garlic season blend (found at walmart) and then broil it for about 8 minutes. Comes out nice and dry...just the way we like it! And, you can steam up some green beans with it.

Tasty stuff!

Enjoy,
    Nicki
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Have anyone tried Hake? I noticed it at Costco for a reasonable price. But don't know anything about it or anyone who had it.

I've had and love it-if you like Haddock, you'll like Hake.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    In for ideas too! I'm looking to incorporate at least one dinner with fish... but I don't like a fishy tasting fish or salmon. Any suggestions on what type to start with? I really like the dill seasoning idea!
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I've had and love it-if you like Haddock, you'll like Hake.
    Thanks! Costco has a bag for under $15. I might try it next month since fish is my primary meat that I eat now
  • bubblyjoolz
    bubblyjoolz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had red snapper last night, just sprinkled some lemon, garlic and herb spice on it and pan fried it in a little olive oil. The fish was beautiful and moist and not "fishy" at all. Had it with a nice fresh salad :bigsmile:
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fish fan, but I do like to bake it in the oven and then put it under the broiler for about 3 minutes to get a little crispy. Works well with salmon. You mix a little soy sauce, honey and lime juice and brush it on top. The honey kind of caramelizes and makes a nice crust.

Today I tried a similar method with mahi mahi. I mixed up some seasonings (cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, coriander) rubbed it on the fish, sprayed with a little olive oil then baked for ~15 mins and 425, broiled for 3 mins. Then I flaked the fish and made fish tacos out of it. Very tasty!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I grill it, I bake it, I fry it in a pan, I steam it....it just depends on what the **** I'm actually cooking for dinner.....hell, sometimes the fishies just do into my stoup....
  • imcam1
    imcam1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Most fish has such a mild flavor. So when you are thinking about how to cook it, think of what flavors you like in general. Do you like spicy food? Lemony taste? Garlic flavor? Basically you can dress fish up with whatever flavors you like! Have fun with it!
  • amberiam
    amberiam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fish fan, but I do like to bake it in the oven and then put it under the broiler for about 3 minutes to get a little crispy. Works well with salmon. You mix a little soy sauce, honey and lime juice and brush it on top. The honey kind of caramelizes and makes a nice crust.

That sounds delicious! Definitely trying that this week!