1200 Calorie

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Before jumping on the eat more food bandwagon, I see you're 46 and female. How tall are you, and if you don't mind, what's your weight? Or, conversely, calculate your TDEE/BMR at one of the online sites and then folks will suggest foods. if you use iifym.com they'll tell you how much of each macro to eat based on what you tell them (standard, low carb etc...) and from there we can better advise you.

Please do know your BMR. You may find you have better long term success if you eat above it. Given your age, it's possible your BMR is less than 1200.

Also, how much do you want to lose, and how aggressively did you tell MFP you want to lose it?

Sorry, just felt given the "eat more" posts, it would be best to have more info about you.

signed: 48 5'6", 136 and bmr is 1333. :smile:

Which means you should at least be eating 1,333. MOAR THAN 1,200.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. :flowerforyou:

OHHHHH Yes.....MANGA!!!!!!

hvcwoh.jpg

really is this called for?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to be so hard on someone they know nothing about? You don't know anything to be doing that to her.. how rude! people come here for support. My god look at my diary you all will probably go into cardiac arrest!
    I had people come at me with their daggers when I first started here too.. Don't mind them any attention. Listen to the ones that actually want to help you and ask the questions, and truly care.. The other ones that say eat more without saying anything, they are what I call TROLLS.

Anxiously awaiting a "people are meanies" thread from you...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to be so hard on someone they know nothing about? You don't know anything to be doing that to her.. how rude! people come here for support. My god look at my diary you all will probably go into cardiac arrest!
    I had people come at me with their daggers when I first started here too.. Don't mind them any attention. Listen to the ones that actually want to help you and ask the questions, and truly care.. The other ones that say eat more without saying anything, they are what I call TROLLS.

Btw. I am a lap band patient and am under a dr's care, and ordered to keep it 6-800 calories...

You are a lap band patient, which is one of the cases a VLC diet is advisable. In most others, more than 1,200 calories will lead to long term success because it's more sustainable.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    you will be waiting a very long time, I see a thread say something and leave, because I don't care about the drama... have a great time!
  • sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. :flowerforyou:

OHHHHH Yes.....MANGA!!!!!!

hvcwoh.jpg

really is this called for?

atq62x.png
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    you will be waiting a very long time, I see a thread say something and leave, because I don't care about the drama... have a great time!

tumblr_m75bkwKRmv1r03e22.gif
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals a day and I feel great at the end of the day. If lifting I eat a small amount of almond butter and apple before the gym and a protein powder shake when I get home with 1/2 a scoop of powder, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 cup almond milk and water and ice. At 8 AM I eat oatmeal (1/2 cup cooked) with a cup of berries and 3-4 egg whites scrambled. Every three hours or so I eat a 3 oz portion of protein (turkey, chicken, or egg whites) or 6 oz. of Greek yogurt, or 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese with basically as much greens as I want and 1/2 cup of brown rice or 3/4 baked yam. I do this the rest of the day and eat my last meal around 6 PM. I rarely need to eat after dinner in my life (43 years old) as it never became a habit. I would eat Greek yogurt if I needed to if hungry.

Everyone is different and I am very aware of what I need to eat to maintain the weight that I want. I am never hungry and I have a stressful, very physically and emotionally demanding job.

Eat healthy food and eat what you need to feel your best!
  • sullengirl78
    Options
    LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!

260a9v4.jpg
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I love eating grilled chicken, dried apricots and drinking orange juice too. That much pretty much fills me up for the whole day. I usually end up going a bit over the 1200 mark.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Btw. I am a lap band patient and am under a dr's care, and ordered to keep it 6-800 calories...

Whoa. Hangry much?

People are asking her for specifics, so settle down. There is a reason you are on such a low calorie diet - there may or may not be a reason for hers.

ETA: Pffft. Ragequit. Saw that one coming a mile away.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I know 1200 kcal is really unpopular here and honestly I can't do it. I've tried and I'm starving. But that is where MFP has set my net calories. I'm 5'2" 114 lbs. GW: 110. I set it for 1/2 lb. loss per weak bc I know anything more than that at my size is not reasonable. I exercise frequently so I eat 1400-1500 per day and one cheat meal per week.

Anyone know why MFP set my calories so low? I'm still hungry most days.

I don't know your age, but it is likely because you are small and light. Use one of the BMR/TDEE calculators and see if you can't come up with a more workable amount. :smile:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Just Wow! :noway:

It's funny how people jump to conclusions when others on here try to give helpful information. Just because it's a differing opinion, doesn't make it mean. But you are entitled to your opinion :flowerforyou:

Personally, I am glad I listened to the "mean" people who suggested I eat more. It made a difference for the better. So thank you Mean People!! :heart:
  • sarahseczkowski
    sarahseczkowski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just started using MFP and the calories (according too MFP) 1200 as well before exercise. I'm inly a few days in but I am finding vegetable omelettes, salads with lean protein, beans and pulses are great. Seafood like prawns and calamari are good as long as you grill them.

Good luck
  • sullengirl78
    Options

Whoa. Hangry much?

People are asking her for specifics, so settle down. There is a reason you are on such a low calorie diet - there may or may not be a reason for hers.

ETA: Pffft. Ragequit. Saw that one coming a mile away.

16lmkxl.jpg
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I agree with you
    ----

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=100 calorie pack

^ 100 calorie snack pack, I love the little ones with chocolates on them

another one- lindt dark chocolate squares
    its dark chocolate so its less calories

some other foods you can eat, chicken (baked or boiled), all kinds of veggies and fruits, lean ground beef, seafood.

almost anything.

oh and I found this recipe book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470080590/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IBANACD8VCWY&coliid=I3JSN8PNKZ0CO4
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I love eating grilled chicken, dried apricots and drinking orange juice too. That much pretty much fills me up for the whole day. I usually end up going a bit over the 1200 mark.

Regardless of whether the original poster should be eating more, you definitely should. 1500 calories a day is generally consider the minimum for a male to get the nutritional components needed to stay healthy. If you have to lose as much as your ticker states, at 1200 you are likely eating way under your BMR which will result in a great loss of lean body mass. I have several male friends here who did 1200 a day, and not one of them was happy with the long term results. Increase the calories and start lifting weights to preserve your muscle.
  • lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    I had a friend who was doing well with eating well and loosing weight. She then started working out at a gym for 3 hours a day. She was studying as a mature age student in her early 40s She started out at 130kg and got to 90 still above a heathy weight she is 170cm Her dietitian told her that she wasn't eating enough for the amount of excersie that she was doing and that is why her weight loss had stalled, instead of going oh ok I will work out less she opted to eat more! uni finished and so did the excersie as with children at home she could no longer work out for 3 hours a day, she didn't cut back on the food as she was used to eating a lot, yes a huge weight gain:(

My point is yes as a shorter women in your 40s you have less calories especially if you have not a lot to loose. A lot of you eat a lot more but you are powering on at the gym, running and exercise is (at the moment, for some of you) a big part of your lives. I garden and walk at the moment. I don't want to excersie like made so I can eat more, I have better things to do that stimulate me more. If I up my excerise then I will eat more but at 164cm 68 kg and 41 it's all my body needs. We eat a lot of vegetables lean meat and a small amount of bread and rice. We are all different of course but 1200 is just fine for many. It's an opinion of quiet a few that we all eat too much food anyway;) compare what you eat to what your grandparent ate, are some of us not simply spending our lives at the gym so we can eat more?

just a thought

Lilly
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been pleasantly amazed by the wonderful low-calorie meals that can make a very satisfying 1200 calorie day. I very often add an entire steam bag of veggies to any given meal. It adds 100 calories, but with a whole lot of volume. Really, everything I make gets a whole lot of veggies for additional volume. I also found a great yogurt (or actually Icelandic skyr) from Siggi's Dairy. It naturally has much less sugar than others--so, of course it's not as sweet, but I actually like that. I like to mix it with cereal, and I use super-plain puffed rice or wheat just for the low-cal volume of that.
  • lladykaro
    lladykaro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 1200 calorie as well. I'm 44 and do yoga almost every day. i don't feel this amount of calories is bad if you're trying to lose 2 lbs a week. You will go through some hunger pains, but that's expected when you're trying to lose weight. Drink lots of water and chew gum.