Looking for PCOS / hypothyroidism weight loss partners!

Options
Hi! My name is Nicole and I was diagnosed with PCOS & hypothyroidism / insulin resistance in 2013. Up until I was diagnosed I had rapidly gained 20 lbs without explanation and then managed to add another 10 lbs post-diagnosis through my own mis-management and neglect of the condition (opps!)

This year, I am serious about regaining my health, my figure and most importantly working towards fixing one of the root causes of my sub-fertility. Looking to connect with other ladies that suffer from PCOS / insulin resistance / type 2 diabetes since we have our own very special dietary restrictions and sadly, have to work a little bit harder than most to shed a single pound!

Looking to share stories, diet tips, recipes and help to keep each other motivated!

Replies

• kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole! I was also diagnosed with PCOS in 2013. I have been TTC for a long time so I started seeking help. I lost about 20 lbs in 2013 and then gained it all back.

I will add you and if you want to chat, shoot me a message!! :)
  • birdiephd99
    birdiephd99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed almost 20 years ago. I am not insulin resistant but can share some of your journey with you. Feel free to add me.
  • futmom
    futmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 years ago and have gained weight since then, a lot of weight. All my fault of course, I haven't been good about trying to manage my condition very well. This new year I want to start right and manage myself better as far as food, exercise and maybe get back on the meds. Could always use the support and try to support others as well.
  • krolikah
    krolikah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi there -- I too was diagnosed with with PCOS a little over a decade ago, and was told I'm 'on the margins' of being insulin resistant. There's a history of thyroid issues in my family (half sister and aunt have hyperthyroidism and my mom had thyroid cancer and is now on a daily synthroid dose) but when I tried to bring up that issue of potential hypothyroidism with my doctor a couple of years ago I got the standard response of 'exercise more and stop eating so much fatty mcfatterson and this won't be an issue'.... so, any PCOS buddies out there, I know your pain! : ) I'd love to be weight loss partners/support for anybody on this thread, feel free to add!
  • sillyne92
    sillyne92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI there, I have PCOS and am trying to regain my health also. Over the last year and a half I have had significant weight gain due to PCOS and fertility treatments. I am hoping that with a good diet and better workout regimen I can get my body to work better on its own without meds.
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have PCOS which I take Met for and primary & secondary hypothyroidism. Its like hormonal purgatory...lol, actually not that funny. I was at my best in 2010, I had my thyroid dialed in! But then life happened, stress, work, and not taking care of myself put 40lbs back on and PCOS flared up. UGH! But, I have my mind right and am working at it. Getting your meds dialed in is absolutely critical! My thyroid meds are off which we are working on getting perfect. But it does take a lot of time and patience. Currently on Armour natural thyroid and T4. I know a little too much for my own good so let me know if you need any help!
  • janinecreates
    Options
    Hi.... i have PCOS and hypothyroidism and am also presently on progesterone to combat estrogen dominance (although it seems to be backfiring on me) I have a LOT of weight to lose and am thinking i'll have to find a very low glycemic index diet just to begin that process.I'll be peeking back in here to see what sorts of things are working for people. Oh and i take metformin for the PCOS and Armor Thyroid for the hypothyroidism. Nice to "meet" you all. :flowerforyou:
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I have both & yes - its really tricky! But, you can do it! I also have heart issues, so, exercise hasnt really been high on the cards for me for a long time (but am able to add more in now!!! yay!!!)

Dealing with PCOS/Thyroid combination, in my research - is NOT the same as dealing with PCOS OR Thyroid issues - it is unique - so please - do question the information given by people giving advice who just have one or the other & look into their advice from both a PCOS & Thyroid aspect before following it :)

Following a diet, for one, or the other, is tricky & generally not fabulous for the condition you are not following a diet for- so try loading up on foods that help alleviate & improve your symptoms. You will find foods that help one are suggested to avoid for the other (and vice versa) so you need to weigh up which positive or negative affect is more important to you sometimes - it can be tricky.

Please do lots of your own research - most specifically 'what is this food doing for my insides?'

Best of luck :)