Hours Spent Sleeping vs Calories consumed

Options
Hi, I need some help here. So, I'm in college, but I'm on vacation, and this is my schedule on a daily basis:

Noon: Wake up, Make coffee, brunch, do morning things

3 or 4: Eat second breakfast (small, usually eggs or something)

6: Eat dinner with Fiance

8 or 9: go to gym, drink pre-workout powder

10 (an hour at the gym): drink protein shake, mess about on the computer

11 or 12: Go to sleep

So in general, I'm up for about 12 hours. I'm finding it VERY hard to reach 1200 calories, and I'm burning usually about 200-300 at the gym. Is this acceptable because of how long I'm sleeping, or is this really bad. I'm usually like 200 or 300 calories short before I even go to the gym. I should note that I'm not feeling hungry or lightheaded at all at the gym or throughout the day and I usually drink 40-60 oz of water a day.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/Life timing have nothing to do with weight loss.

If you're having a hard time reaching 1200, eat more caloric dense foods... full fat cheeses, milk & yogurt. Eat nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to suggest that you don't need to be sleeping until noon, even when you are on vacation. Get up, plan for the day, be productive, and get on with it. A healthy adult does not need 12 hours of sleep. Are you home with your family while on vacation from college? If so, pitch in on the household chores, errands, cooking, etc.
  • iclark2012
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I think that I will have to go out and buy some nuts to help me get to the calorie levels I need.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate you for sleeping til noon everyday LOL

what are you havng for brunch
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm going to suggest that you don't need to be sleeping until noon, even when you are on vacation. Get up, plan for the day, be productive, and get on with it. A healthy adult does not need 12 hours of sleep. Are you home with your family while on vacation from college? If so, pitch in on the household chores, errands, cooking, etc.

Meh. She's a teenage, let her sleep.

OP, if you think you can't eat 1200 calories, I think you must not be doing a good job of tracking your calories. Do you weigh and measure everything?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need some help here.

What are your objectives? Weight loss or fitness performance?

Note that you're implying that you want to join the Air Force presumably there is an element fo preparation for that as well?

What training do you do when you're at the gym?
  • iclark2012
    Options
    My goals end up being both fitness and weight loss for the air force. I need to get down to entry weight before I can continue with my paperwork, and I need to be able to reach base fitness goals before I can ship out to boot camp.

I do cardio every day, and I rotate high intensity and low intensity, I burn around 250 calories on low intensity and close to 400 on high intensity.
    I rotate leg, core, and arms/chest training, and take one day off a week.

I'm on a Ketogenic diet- extremely low carb, high protein. I actually just adjusted my macros, and I actually should be getting 1300 a day at least. I think for the most part I need to get into the habit of just eating more often. Taking my meals hobbit style maybe.

For brunch I usually pile up eggs and bacon (I need the high fat to hit my macros for the day) or sausage. I put protein in my coffee, and usually down 20 ounces of water before I've been awake an hour.

I sleep a lot because I CAN. i barely get to sleep during the semester, so I relish the opportunity when I'm actually home. Have you ever tried to sleep on a 3 inch thick foam pad in a dorm room? NOT comfortable. And I live at home with my fiance and our cat. I spend 3 or 4 hours a day cleaning in order to keep the apartment looking nice and my allergies manageable.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I was on vacation for the past week and slept about that much every day. I love sleeping in, it's one of the things I enjoy most about being on vacation. "Get up, plan for the day, be productive, and get on with it"? Thank you but no, that's what I do the other 351 days of the year.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I totally understand; I'm going through the same with oversleeping. I feel a bit too groggy if I get 12 hours, but I usually get 10 hours. The extra sleep is helping with my hunger, but I always frequent, small meals. I actually find I eat most of my calories in the morning now; I always wake up hungry, but if I'm sleeping for a while, I wake up even hungrier. One advantage is that I have more time to plan meals, cook, go food shopping, etc., so I'm eating healthier. Exercise can also help to suppress appetite, but you really need 1200 + exercise calories as a minimum. I was only hungry enough for a salad before my yoga class yesterday, and I had very little energy as a result. Think of eating as fuel for your workouts!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well how long are you on vacation?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My goals end up being both fitness and weight loss for the air force. I need to get down to entry weight before I can continue with my paperwork, and I need to be able to reach base fitness goals before I can ship out to boot camp.

I do cardio every day, and I rotate high intensity and low intensity, I burn around 250 calories on low intensity and close to 400 on high intensity.
    I rotate leg, core, and arms/chest training, and take one day off a week.

OK, thankyou, that helps to tailor the answer.

From the perspective of New Entry training the focus is on endurance and functional strength. Essentially the ability to walk/ run/ yomp for significant periods of time carrying patrol rig and a personal weapon system. To prepare for that I'd suggest ramping up the intensity of your CV work. 250-400 cals isn't a great deal of conditioning, you probably need to get used to 1000-1500cals per day of phys.

As far as resistance training is concerned, if you're used to using weights then thats fine, if not then bodyweight work will prepare you for basic, you don't need much more than that. You're looking at the ability to lift a bergen and body armour into the back of a vehicle as an indicative task. Also carrying water/ rations/ ammunition for a distance, again as an indicative task.
    I'm on a Ketogenic diet- extremely low carb, high protein. I actually just adjusted my macros, and I actually should be getting 1300 a day at least. I think for the most part I need to get into the habit of just eating more often.

What's your rationale for the fussy diet? In NET your main priority is getting fuel down your throat and you're not going to get a huge amount of choice over what's out there.
    Have you ever tried to sleep on a 3 inch thick foam pad in a dorm room? NOT comfortable.

Or in a corimec beside an attack jet flightline, or a camp cot in a deployed air warning radar cabin, or in a patrol base...

I would suggest that you trade a couple of hours of sleep for the opportunity to crash out some more phys.

....and my allergies manageable.

Are you actually medically fit for military service?
  • katalexandra7
    Options
    I get why you're sleeping in til noon because I'm a student and I think it's so stressful that when you have a break you need to literally have that break to destress---otherwise you could gain from stress!!
    I'd say eat healthy foods that are just higher in calories such as olives, avocado, carbohydrates like potatoes and brown rice.
    Just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean your body is processing things right. But to be honest, I have your schedule too at the moment but I just eat higher calorific foods
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ....I'm a student and I think it's so stressful......

And being a grown up is so much less stressful...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to sleep on a 3 inch thick foam pad in a dorm room? NOT comfortable.

I'm not sure the military is the right place for you, especially the recent budget cuts eliminating the standard issue bunks.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate you for sleeping til noon everyday LOL

what are you havng for brunch

I know right! I got lucky when my toddler slept til 9 am yesterday but she lost alot of sleep since the 21st plus been sick on and off from Christmas Eve to last Sunday so shes probably still catching up on her sleep...Come Monday back to normal 7 am wake up for me
  • iclark2012
    Options
    Yes, I am fit for military service, as my allergy to my cat and her litter is not disqualifying. I do not have the option of swapping sleep for more gym hours, because I am stuck at home during the day. No car, and no gym within walking distance. Even at the farthest stretch of walking distance, like 5 miles. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to accrue a decent amount of workout equipment at home, like weights etc, but the most I can do at this time is extra siups/pushups. I try to do what I can at the gym because my apartment is tiny, and seriously limited on floor space. Like I dont have enough space to do mountain climbers.

I am perfectly well aware that military beds aren't going to be the most comfortable, but hey, if I have that to look forward to in July or August, then I better relish the experience of my nice comfortable bed.
  • TSmi
    TSmi Posts: 3
    Options
    If you are going to continue consuming so few calories please be sure to take a vitamen supplement and eat very nutritious foods. It is hard for your body to get what it needs on so few calories and your body will pay for it later in life. Be Well!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I do not have the option of swapping sleep for more gym hours, because I am stuck at home during the day. No car, and no gym within walking distance. Even at the farthest stretch of walking distance, like 5 miles. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to accrue a decent amount of workout equipment at home, like weights etc, but the most I can do at this time is extra siups/pushups. I try to do what I can at the gym because my apartment is tiny, and seriously limited on floor space.

Might I suggest that you go for a run, outdoors.

There are a couple of groups on here for military preparation so you may get some value from browsing those. 7Ps is worth remembering.

I appreciate that AF has the least taxing New Entry training, but anything you do now will assure success.
  • iclark2012
    Options
    Thanks for your concern! I take an arsenal of vitamins everyday just to be sure, since I worry about getting enough calcium and vitamin C on this diet, and have been doing well.
  • iclark2012
    Options
    I probably will start running soon. I just need to wait for the foot of snow outside to get plowed off the side walks. I go back to school in a week or so and they have a wonderful track thats open 24/7(although their work out facilities are sub par and I think I'll keep my gym membership just to be safe). I will also take a look at some military prep groups. Thanks for all of your great feedback guys, this has been amazingly helpful!