Advice Needed

Options
Hey all,

So I've researched low carb diets and talked to a doctor and a friend who majored in nutrition and I think this is going to be the best way for me to lose weight. Does anyone have success stories about low carb? How do I get started? What worked for you and what didn't?

Also, I am a poor college student so I can't afford a lot of the 'healthy' foods sometimes. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this started?

I have figured out that what works best for me is to take a goal each week and work on that one goal, then move on to the next goal. This week is quitting soda. I drink way too much soda.

Thank you,
Liz :)

Replies

• Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz!

Eating on a budget can be difficult! I feel that it is that much harder to stay on track when buying fresh healthy ingredients can cost $10+ just for one person and buying a McChicken or McDouble is only $1 from McDonald!

For me I've found that when I've had the best success is when I have had a plan and or challenge to stick to. I try to shop the sales at the grocery stores to buy fresh seasonal fruits and veggies, pre-portioning your food is very helpful! For Lunch most days I make a salad with some grilled chicken or tuna and low fat dressings like vinaigrette. My mom just got me a food saver! So I am very excited to use that to help lower my food costs too!

I also garden in the spring and summer - if you can grow some veggies at home I would highly recommend it! A lot of veggies can grow in containers too if you have no yard space or if you move a lot it makes it easier to take your plants with you. I particularly enjoy growing foods that normally cost a lot in the supermarkets like bell peppers and eggplants. Also nothing beats a delicious home grown tomato! There is nothing better than just running out to the garden to pick your food fresh as your preparing dinner its a great feeling not only for eating healthier but also gives me a sense of accomplishment for growing my own food!

Also if you want a good support and goal oriented group consider joining the goal a month group...We basically used a google doc spread sheet to set weightt goals and how we plan on obtaining them for the month... I felt that seeing and obtaining smaller monthly goals was very encouraging! Here is the link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/a/ucdavis.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApkxnzF0X6A1dGl1R194UldQMU5VZHJXZ1lKNnd5NkE#gid=29
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Low-carb works for some, but isn't necessary for weight loss. The key is to cut out carbs and not replace them much extra food. However, since you're on a budget, a low-carb diet may not be the best option. Some of the healthiest, cheapest foods are whole grains like whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. These are staples in my diet because I'm also a broke college student! I've found that the key is to have everything in moderation.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I recommend you track your food for a while. Many times you are over indulging on many things aside from carbs and just reducing your carb intake to a normal level is enough to boost weightloss.

dont try to build a a sky scraper... start out small with this bird house.....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs on keto, which is low carb and high fat(gained 6ish lbs over the holidays, but they're coming off). It is possible to do keto on a budget. My staple foods are eggs, cheese, tuna, butter and heavy cream. Spinach is a good low carb veggie that's also kind of cheap, depending on how you get it. My advice is to get ingredients and make meals in bulk if at all possible. Take advantage of sales on ground beef and make low carb chili.
  • sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better tracking what you are eating. The fact its going to be there in black and white some unhealthy choices might mean you decide not to eat it.
    Ultimately a low carb diet is probably not a good long term plan, yeah short term you will drop the pounds, but as soon as you start eating as yo did you'll be back to square one. if not worse off like me!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better tracking what you are eating. The fact its going to be there in black and white some unhealthy choices might mean you decide not to eat it.
    Ultimately a low carb diet is probably not a good long term plan, yeah short term you will drop the pounds, but as soon as you start eating as yo did you'll be back to square one. if not worse off like me!

Hence why you DON'T start eating like you used to. I don't plan to carb-overload like I used to ever again. I might have cheat days every so often and I might up my carbs a little bit once I'm at my goal and in maintenance, but I don't plan to go back to old habits. It's a lifestyle change for me. That said, if someone isn't willing to eat low carb for life, it may not be the best approach.
  • lizjane86
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful advice! The doctor I went to when I was sick mentioned losing weight with low-carb, which is why I wanted to try it. I have done some more research and I think the biggest thing that will help me lose weight is exercise and cutting out sugar. I have quit soda (but it's only day 2) and I'm going to cut out a bunch of sweets and other sugar. I am planning on making this a lifestyle change, not a short-term goal.

Thank you again and good luck with all of your goals as well!