Not losing weight or inches

Options
I have been on a strength training program for 2 months now, it started 4 days a week and now I am doing 6 days a week with cardio and weight training. I am 5'4 139lbs, 24.1 body fat and 43 years old. I have stayed under my goal 99% of the time and am not losing any weight. I fear I am not eating enough because of all the weight training I am doing. I have been reading that I should be eating 1600 calories a day instead of 1200 to lose weight and am extremely concerned that doing this will make me gain weight so I am looking for thoughts and advice on what you all think. Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    What are your carbs and sugars looking like? Are you staying under those?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What are your carbs and sugars looking like? Are you staying under those?

Sugar is a carb.

OP:
    Calorie deficit=weight loss. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? You will have to provide more info before people can provide appropriate answers.

eta: opening your diary would be helpful too
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    With only 8 lbs to lose, you should definitely eat more than your 1200. Actually, did that include eating back exercise calories, or do you eat more than 1200 and just net 1200?

If you are weight lifting, the best muscle results are with as little a deficit as you can possibly stand, lol. Since you have so little to lose, eat more towards weight lifting goals, yeah.

I saw changes by 8 weeks, definitely, and my deficit was low.

The kind of strength training matters, too. Do you 'lift heavy' or are we talking high-rep, low weights type stuff? That is more for endurance and you might not see the muscle changes (tighter feeling) very much compared to heavier weights.

As for why you haven't lost any weight, that seems odd at 1200 at your height and weight. Something is up there since it's been 2 months. Chances are you've been eating higher and you are retaining water in your muscles from all the exercise. I'd still up my calories, but just make sure you are super accurate and average in any 'over' days to see how it affects the math for the week.
  • KimberlyKCoreno
    Options
    No I usually don't eat my calories back. I opened my diary for everyone to view. I have always been between 140-145 very hard to get under 140 for me. I usually burn 400-500 doing my cardio and weight training. I'm a nutrition dummy though, I don't know when to eat or not eat certain foods but I try to eat healthy.
  • tarsolya
    tarsolya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Kimberly,

looking at your diary and the amount of weight you want to loose:

With all the lifting and cardio exercises, you're in a heavy cal deficit. Looking at your age and that you are a woman could mean that your metabolism is very slow (eg. you're starving, altough you don't feel like it). You eat too much carbs, fat and too little protein.

I would change to a 'ripping' diet, with a 60% protein, 30% carb and 10% fat distribution while matching your calorie goal on exercise days. On rest days, I would keep the calorie intake in a deficit, just 150-200 calories short of your daily goal.

Also, I do not know your eating habits, but I would eat 6-7 times a day and I would eat very clean:

Your main courses should be:

- Raw vegs (bell peppers, lettuca variants, cabbage, etc). Nothing with sugar in it, like tomatoes for example. No dressings, apart from olive oil and vinegars.
    - Cooked or fried chicken and turkey breast. Without seasoning and dressings, apart from olive oil. Chicken is better. You should measure them while raw.
    - Cooked rice. The best is brown rice. If you don't like it, get long grain rice.
    - Oatmeal.
    - Protein shake :)

For fat:
    - Boiled or fried eggs
    - Nuts (cashews, almond are the better, peanuts and hazelnuts are not so good). Nuts are awesome, because their carb, fat and protein distribution is almost equal, they have very low GI index, full of fatty acids and monosaturated fat.
    - Olives
    - Cottage cheese, yogurt

Bonus:

- Flaxseed oil for energy at the gym :)
    - Dietary fiber (psyllium husks) for a good behaving bowel and no constipation.

Anything else, it's a no. Absolutely no sugar, absolutely no bad carbs, no fat. Absolutely no sodas and no processed foods - if possible - at all. No alchohol.

Prepare your food beforehand, measure and portion it, so you don't have to scramble when you get hungry. When you feel the first stroke of hunger, you'll have to eat. If it happens 10 times a day, you eat 10 times. You eat all day, small. You eat on the evenings. If you stay up late and you get hungry, you eat :)

You should eat most of your carbs and fat in the first half of your day and eat the protein and fiber later on. You can eat some nuts if you get hungry. Immediately before going to sleep, eat a serving of cottage chese or take casein supplement, so your metabolism can keep up while you are sleeping.

If it's exercise day, eat a full meal 2+ hours before your exercise. Immediately before the exercise you can take amino acid supplements, l-carnitine, a fast absorption carb shake, etc.

After your exercise, immediately drink a protein shake with carbs and take glutamine, if you use supplements. Eat a full meal of rice / chicken breast / salad within 1 hour of your exercise.

All the while, drink water constantly. Not too much at once, take a few gulps every 5-10 minutes while you're awake. Drink water between your series in the gym, too. If you consume around 1.5l of water during your exercise, you're good to go.

You diet is extremely, extremely important. Losing weight is 90% diet and 10% exercise. The exercise is primarily for toning your body, building your endurance, your strength, your confidence and speeding up your metabolism.

Now onto exercise:

I would say that 6 days / week is way too much, you don't really give time your body to regen and to do it's work.

Cardio is pointless for you, as it is mainly endurance training and your body will just put itself into an energy conservation mode, which you do not want :)

4 days a week seems cool, start with weight training, do full body workouts, you want your biggest muscles to work (quadriceps, your back, biceps, etc.). Use heavy weights, 4-5 series of 8-12 reps will be perfect. Don't cheat, use weights that give you a real challenge: you can barely complete the series, but you do complete them properly.

Do not 'kill' a muscle group, 2 exercises per muscle group is fine. Rotate the type of exercise per muscle group from time to time, so you'll don't get accustomed to it.

You should be able to finish in 60 minutes, then it's time for the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This is what you should do instead of the cardio. Basically this is for shooting your metabolic rate through the roof for the next 24-32 hours (until your next exercise day).

A HIIT training can be anything: treadmill, stationary bike, ellipsis, what you like. A typical HIIT training goes like this:

Warmup:
    - 5 minutes , slow pace

HIIT:
    - 1 min normal pace
    - 30 sec all-out pace (what you can do without collapsing, really, push it like your life depended on it :)

- Repeat 8 times (1 min normal, 30 sec all out)

Cooldown:
    - 5 minutes, slow pace

You can complete this in 22 mins and it will help you a lot more than cardio. You must change your HIIT cycle durations by each 2 weeks, like the following:

Week 1-2: 1 min easy, 30 sec all out, 8 reps
    Week 3-4: 20 sec easy, 10 sec all out, 24 reps
    Week 5-6: 2 min easy, 2 min all out, 5 reps

This is also for avoiding your body getting accustomed to a specific type of training.

So, I hope this helps. Remember, diet is everything, everything else is secondary in loosing weight. I just joined MyFitnessPal, but in the last 9 months, I lost close to 60 lbs once getting fed up with myself. Then I researched everything in minute detail, from diet, to exercise to anatomy to ... everything that's connected and set up a plan for myself and it worked, though it was very hard to maintain, it's not for the faint hearted.

You must not be this hardcore, though :) If you keep your diet right (as explained above) and your exercises, you'll have the results you want. Nothing is set in stone, don't be afraid to experiment with amounts, exercises, etc. Read up on stuff, search, etc, find what works for you, but the above should be a good starting point.

Best,
    Andras
  • KimberlyKCoreno
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great advice! I had a feeling I was still eating the wrong kind of foods and too little calories. I will definitely take all your advice and do my very best to modify my eating habits and change my exercise and weight training. Good luck on your journey and keep up the great work!
  • Mchl496
    Mchl496 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The cardio is not pointless for you. Keep it up. As long as you are stretching then why not add to your caloric deficit?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kimberly,

Do you weigh all solid food and measure all liquids?

Do you leg everything you eat, including condiments, beverages, "tasting" while cooking, and I mean EVERYTHING you put in your mouth no matter what it is?

Where do you get your exercise calculations from?

I ask these questions because you are not losing weight or inches. If you said you were not losing weight but were losing inches, I'd tell you to keep up the good work and continue on. However, since you are not losing weight or inches, there is definitely something wrong with your math of calories in/calories out.

One thing I noticed is that your exercise calories appear to be way over-estimated. That, plus not having accurate calorie counts from weighing and measuring foods, can be enough to kill that calorie deficit.

Another thing I noticed is your dietary plan has high amounts of sodium pushing you past the sodium limit each day. You could be retaining some water, and what helps this is drinking more water.

I suggest you take a closer look at your logging of both food and exercise calories and see if you could be miscalculating somewhere. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great advice! I had a feeling I was still eating the wrong kind of foods and too little calories. I will definitely take all your advice and do my very best to modify my eating habits and change my exercise and weight training. Good luck on your journey and keep up the great work!
    The type of foods you eat has nothing to do with weight loss.

Also, if you are not losing weight, you are not eating too few calories, you are eating too much. You increase calories to fuel our workouts while staying within your calorie limit, you do not increase them to lose weight. That's just not the way ti works.

See my advice above.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't know for certain what will work for you. However, I can tell you that I'm 46, female, 5'2" and hovered between 140 and 143 pounds for 40 days working out and eating just under the 1200 MFP recommended (plus eating about half of my exercise calories). The first day I saw a drop below 140 was the day I intentionally "planned" a cheat day, where I tried to keep my same macro ratios but eat my 1200 + all exercise + an extra 1000. Two days after that I dropped from 141 to 140. Then I went into my settings, increased from 1200 to 1300 and started eating back every single exercise calorie ... and lost two more pounds.

I don't know how this is going to pan out for me long term but the first time I saw that scale dip below 140 was when went to that other site (it's been linked a few times recently, I can look it up if you need) and found that for a 20% calorie reduction I should be eating 1350 plus exercise calories, not 1200 and just decided to chance it.

Increasing calories seems to be working for me at this point (I've been at 1300 for a week and plan on remaining at it for another week then potentially adding another 100 to see how my body reacts to it). We are a similar weight and age, though you're a couple inches taller -- so you might have similar results.

I will tell you that I was afraid to add calories, and am now glad I did.

Results may vary ;)

*Edit* - The calculator I reference above is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also, many people are bringing up very good points like accurate measurement, drinking enough water, etc. However, double checking all that and sticking with 1200 calories did not work for me. I actually gained an inch in the waist (which is where I tend to gain them). The only thing that did work was adding more calories.

Also, also - have you ever tried blending your morning coffee with whey protein? I was having a heck of a time getting enough protein in my day until I started "fortifying" my morning coffee by blending it with chocolate whey protein -- which ends up tasting like frothy cappuccino.
  • sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    how much water are you drinking? make sure your getting enough so your not holding water weight!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Also confirming whether you are weighing your food where possible.

Also, what has your weight done, in weekly increments if you have it, over the last 2 months?

ETA: one more question - when did you change from a 4 day to a 6 day routine?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you're not losing weight, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's not because you're eating too FEW calories. That's not how the math works. What you have is either a math error, or a calorie goal that's too high. If you were eating too few calories, your weight loss would be too rapid and you'd have side effects. So find those hidden calories that you're eating or drinking, and get rid of them. Exercise is nice and all, but it's not going to help you lose weight unless your calorie equation is actually in a deficit. If you're not losing or gaining, you're at maintenance, that's all.
  • tarsolya
    tarsolya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone is saying about measuring your food is mandatory. You should measure everything you eat with a scale. You should measure everything raw, even a few piece of nuts, your peanut butter, the components of every cooked meal you eat and add them together. Digital scales work best and are easy to use.

On the calorie deficit: I had bad streaks with eating too few calories, thinking that it will accelerare my weight loss. It was not the case, unfortunately. My weight was standing still, while I was eating under around 500-600 cal daily (everything measured) and exercising 5 days a week. My situation was different though, I had to loose a lot and drank a lot of water.

If you currently do not measure and log everything correctly, I have to agree with the others in the topic, you possibly rack up hidden calories because of that and eating actually more than you log.

Daily calorie goals for you should be something like: 1200-1400 on rest days and around 1700-1800 on exercise days. You can add 50-100 calories for your daily goal if you move around a lot or spending the day on your feet.
  • KimberlyKCoreno
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone for their advice. I do not measure everything but I do know there is no way I can be eating more than 1400 calories. My exercise calories are tracked via a HRM so I know those are accurate. I know I don't drink enough water and could definitely change some of my eating habits to a more clean diet. I'm certain that my progress or no progress is due to me just not knowing what to do and not paying attention to it carefully enough. I intend to take all your advice even if some of it is counterdictary. I will definitely start weighing everything. I enjoy my weight training but am not big on cardio or HIIT but I know that if I want results I need to do things I don't want to do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone for their advice. I do not measure everything but I do know there is no way I can be eating more than 1400 calories. My exercise calories are tracked via a HRM so I know those are accurate. I know I don't drink enough water and could definitely change some of my eating habits to a more clean diet. I'm certain that my progress or no progress is due to me just not knowing what to do and not paying attention to it carefully enough. I intend to take all your advice even if some of it is counterdictary. I will definitely start weighing everything. I enjoy my weight training but am not big on cardio or HIIT but I know that if I want results I need to do things I don't want to do.
    Kimberly,

You are making forward movements. Just to clarify a few things:

Heart rate monitors can give incorrect readings, especially if you don't have a chest strap and/or if they are not calibrated correctly. They are not ideal for giving readings for strength training either.

You say you don't measure and weigh food but that you are sure you can't be eating over 1400 calories.I'm glad you will start measuring and weighing food. Doing those things was a real eye opener for me.

Whether you diet is "clean" or not has nothing to do with weight loss. The only thing required to lose weight is to eat less than what you burn. Good nutrition (not as in eating clean but a variety of foods) is a plus, but lots of people lose weight on fast food and other kinds of eating plans.

What advice do you find contradictory?
  • KimberlyKCoreno
    Options
    I did not know about inaccuracies with the HRM's. So should I not log strength training and just log my cardio? The contradictory advice was not eating enough calories or eating too many. The more I read all over the internet the more I see I should eat more calories. So that's confusing to me, also confusing is eating clean or eating whatever. If I weigh everything for 2 weeks and don't change anything else maybe I will see a difference, and I guess if not I will try and change something else to find what works. It's just frustrating because I have been the same weight for 15 years. My body fat is lower now and I am stronger but I've got a lot of work to do yet and just couldn't figure out what is up with my weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I did not know about inaccuracies with the HRM's. So should I not log strength training and just log my cardio? The contradictory advice was not eating enough calories or eating too many. The more I read all over the internet the more I see I should eat more calories. So that's confusing to me, also confusing is eating clean or eating whatever. If I weigh everything for 2 weeks and don't change anything else maybe I will see a difference, and I guess if not I will try and change something else to find what works. It's just frustrating because I have been the same weight for 15 years. My body fat is lower now and I am stronger but I've got a lot of work to do yet and just couldn't figure out what is up with my weight.

Ah, eating too much v. not eating enough. Not eating enough means you need more to fuel your body. If your body is properly fueled, the engine starts working better. However, if you are not losing weight or inches, it generally means you are eating at maintenance, which equals too many calories to lose weight.

I log my cardio and strength training. I do intense strength training for about 30-35 minutes and my HRM says I burn 50-70 calories. Running 4 miles in 41 minutes burned about 320 calories.

I'm 52, around the same height as you, weight 148, but your calorie burns are vastly higher than mine. For example, you have 40 minutes of strength training burning 246 calories, 80 minutes burning 571, and then Strength Training for 30 ,minutes burning 200, Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace for 30 burning 200. Those burns seem awful high, even if you do have a lower body fat.

The less you weigh, the less calories you burn. I certainly burn a whole lot less calories now than I did when I was 183 pounds, or even 160 pounds.

Have you input your current weight in your heart rate monitor and re-calibrated it?

The more you share, the more I wonder if it's your heart rate monitor not giving accurate readings. I could be totally off base, but that seems to point to why your weight is stalled.

Another thing is that you say:
    It's just frustrating because I have been the same weight for 15 years. My body fat is lower now and I am stronger but I've got a lot of work to do yet and just couldn't figure out what is up with my weight.

What's wrong with being 138 pounds for three years but having a lower body weight and being stronger? What you've accomplished is amazing. :smile:

Another thing is that you can join Eat, Progress, and Train and ask Sara and Sidesteel for some help. This is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-