Motivation Tips Please!!!!

Options
Hi Everyone, I really need some help with motivation. What works for you? Pictures on the fridge, quotes, friends, etc.? If I had it my way, I would have someone follow me everywhere and make me do what I need to do to stay on track. Yup, that's me. NO motivation. So send your ideas my way and who knows, you might find something new for your goals as well.

Replies

• Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Find that one person that will keep you accountable and not take any excuses as valid. I'm the same way as you, and it really helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    No one can make you do what you don't want to. Also a truly motivated person won't let any obstacles stop them from achieving what they want. So ask yourself "do I really really want this and am willing to do what it takes?" or "I'd like to have it, but it seems too hard to achieve, but I'll give it a shot?"
    Any reservations would probably mean that you're not ready to commit to it and that's why many fail. Have a pow wow with yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • candirose69
    Options
    I put my goals up at work. Next to my computer I have "1400 calories" " I love working out" and "77kgs by wedding anniversary" this helps me focus when the 3pm biscuit (cookies) jar is being passed around the office :)
  • steffer20
    steffer20 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No one can make you do what you don't want to. Also a truly motivated person won't let any obstacles stop them from achieving what they want. So ask yourself "do I really really want this and am willing to do what it takes?" or "I'd like to have it, but it seems too hard to achieve, but I'll give it a shot?"
    Any reservations would probably mean that you're not ready to commit to it and that's why many fail. Have a pow wow with yourself.

This ˆ

I agree if you don't want to do something, you simply don't; and vice versa.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Perfectly and succinctly stated.

One thing I observed about myself over the many years that I wasn't motivated was that my values and truest desires (which were to be healthy and fit and free from cravings and bingeing) did not line up with my actions. Deep down I *really* wanted to be healthy and free. But I continued to overeat and binge and not exercise. This disparity of desire vs. reality, I believe, stressed me out to no end and therefore greatly contributed to killing any motivation I could have, dead in it's tracks.

I'm not exactly sure what prompted me to finally take REAL steps to fixing my health issues in January of 2012. I don't know what the "bolt of lightning was". All I know is I started walking forward. It was when I stepped out and *did* it, even when I didn't feel like it, that the motivation began to accumulate and grow.

Many artists and musicians will tell you that they are often not inspired to paint or write music. Some might call it 'writers block' or whatever. What's the best thing they can do? Make themselves paint something - anything - a circle, a tree, anything - and many find that suddenly the inspiration comes to life.

There's a parable from the life of Jesus Christ in which his disciples are on a boat and a big storm swells up on the sea. Jesus appears out on the water, walking on the surface of the water. He tells one of his disciples, Peter, to get out of the boat and walk to him. It is not until Peter gets out of the boat that he discovers he can walk on the water.

Sometimes, you simply have to get out of the boat first in order to walk on the water.

There is no magic formula. You either do it, or you don't. As Yoda said, "No. Try not. "Do". Or "Do Not"". There is no "Try"". If you "Do" - you will *find* your motivation out there. Promise.
  • hasses
    hasses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with motivation. My biggest issue is finding a way to motivate myself to stay on track with my calorie count on days when I really don't want to count them. I've read about people who put marbles in jars, with one jar labeled "Pounds lost" and one jar labeled "Pounds to lose". Apparently it's supposed to keep you motivated as a visual aid of your weight loss. Personally, I highly doubt that would work for me. I think I'd just walk past the jar without looking at it. I've recently tried to write down all the reasons why I want to lose weight and when I get tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I think about my list to try and stay motivated. Other than that I haven't come up with much. If you hear about any good ideas, please share them!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've started setting weekly and monthly goals to keep me on track. E.g. run 50miles in January, eat 8 a day fruit & veg for 5 days out of 30, homemade lunches 4times a week instead of relying on the artery-clogging staff canteen menu...

I've generally found it easier to set goals that I have full control over (food & exercise) since those effing scales can have a mind of their own! Nothing like falling short of a tough weight loss goal to drain the motivation...!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I try to motivate myself through idols [Arnold Schwarz; Shannan Ponton; etc etc.]; I motivate through mixed music; through quote son the mirror that I see everyday and most importantly, envisioning what I want to achieve every day and also whilst training!
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've read about those marbles and the jars and came up with my own idea: For every pound I lose, I add $5 to a jar and at the end, when I've reached my goal weight, I'll take that money and buy myself a new dress or something. I have the visuals, plus something I enjoy at the end of it.

Other than that, I find it hard too on some days, but often just being on the forum or looking at pictures of what I want to achieve helps me a lot.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    its not about motivation but dedication :smokin:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, what you really need is to be consistent and start developing good habits. Logging food, getting your exercise should become habit this is just what you do, not well do I want to work out today, or well I don't feel like tracking today.

I wake up, have coffee, work out, shower ... it's a routine, no question if I will or won't do it. Do I always want to do that no, but just like I always take a shower I always work out.

If you need something to keep you going while you develop those good habits, go check out some of the success stories and see what can happen when you are consistent.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Motivation is part of the game. Building habits and having the forethought to prepare ahead is more important, In my opinion anyway.

A few things I like to do though, I have a healthy tip jar which I put money in for exercising/losing x amount of weight/hitting new records etc. I got the idea from this place a few months ago.:

http://piecesinprogress.tumblr.com/post/32086052396/fitness-tip-jar-a-way-to-motivate-yourself-to

I like to browse "fitblrs" as well, they can be very motivating for me when I have no drive to exercise. Motivational quotes, before and afters, pictures of fitness models. I find it very inspiring and helps to fuel the fire in my times of need.

Pictures too! I don't like to share them but if I take physique pictures, progress pictures, I find that very motivating. How my body looks on camera is more important to me than anything else. I model though, so I'm not sure if that a common strain of thought.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You truly need to motivate yourself. No one can do it for you. Making good habits routine are what make you successful. You really have to want it. Just make up your mind that you are doing this and you will.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is about behavior....motivation eventually disappears, much like that warm and fuzzy period at the beginning of a new relationship.

Don't let the way you feel dictate the way you act, rather, let the way you act dictate the way you feel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, what you really need is to be consistent and start developing good habits. Logging food, getting your exercise should become habit this is just what you do, not well do I want to work out today, or well I don't feel like tracking today.
    This is true also. Consistency and habit development make it much much easier to achieve goals which usually keeps one motivated to continue. I exercise basically everyday out of habit for the last 30 years. Nothing undoable by any standards, but just being consistent with it has kept me within 10-15lbs (180lbs-195lbs). There have been many times I felt that a lackluster workout was coming, but did it anyway regardless if it was really productive or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition