Anyone in Western Australia

Options
Hi everyone, like many now the big Santa day is over I'm feeling like now is a great time to work on getting healthy and fit for 2014, would love some friends on my time zone if anyone here ... I am new to this and have posted in any sites before so I could use some help please on how to invite friends, what this involves, how to make the most of this wonderful site.

I am hoping that this is the place to get some support from others doing what I am as my husband and little one do not need to diet and are active at the beach, it's just me really and I am fed up of watching all of the fun and not being in the thick of it.

I see many have received 'fitbits' I think they're called, what are they, are they good, what are they used for and can I buy in Oz?
Any advice gratefully received and I would love to support others too if I knew how I friend them etc.
I'm not in Facebook so no idea of some of the lingo but happy to learn..

30 kgs to go and hoping to achieve it in 6 months as huge family holiday coming up and want to look and feel fabulous ????

We can do this ????

Replies

• Iwantolookgood2
    Iwantolookgood2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi bunburymom, I live in western australia (Geraldton) and just signed up today. My goal is to lose 20kgs in 6 months for my wedding. Would love to have a nearby friend to share support with :)
  • seh139
    seh139 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

How are you both going on your journeys over the past week?

Nice to meet you, i'm from WA too, living in Baldivis currently.

I have just got back into all this (weight loss and exercise) and i have around 30kgs to lose as well. I can't even imagine myself 30kgs lighter, but i have to try and get there :) to be honest i would love just 10kgs as i'm so fed up with being so big...

I have a fitbit, its only the bottom of the range one, its called the Zip Tracker and its essentially just a pedometer and calorie counter (based on your steps). I also got given a fitbit Aria scale for christmas and its a scale which automatically - through wifi - transfers your weight and body fat % to your dashboard and records it. oh nd the fitbit automatically sychs as well with your ipad or computer. I think its fabulous as it saves me having to record it all.

I have also linked up my fitbit account with my MFP account and everything is synced, food diaries, weight loss, exercise etc. oh and FYI the food choices/list on MFP are much better than the fitbit ones as the fitbit ones seem to be all american...

Anyways, hope you are both going well.
    Good luck :)
  • JosiBella
    JosiBella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @seh139, I'm South of the river too in Kwinana but I have a gym membership at the Jets in Baldivis if you're keen for a gym buddy. I'm new to this whole fitness and diet dealie with about 30kg to lose too so I'm always up for some extra motivation :-)
  • seh139
    seh139 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Josi, nice to meet you! :)
    I
    joined up Jetts in baldivis when it first opened with my hubby and it was awesome, but then it started getting really busy and i struggled to get on the walkers/bikes etc so we bought a cross trainer and mini weights gym for at home. Have they installed fans in there yet? keep going though hun, the more exercise the better :) (now i have to listen to myself and get moving haha)

Happy to meet up sometime if you want to do a big walk :)

Good luck on your journey :)
  • JosiBella
    JosiBella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmm not really any fans there (the big industrial ones gyms usually have?) but I always find the A/C super cold before I start moving and it's usually pretty quiet, even for New-Years-Reso January lol
    Waiting to hit below 100kg so I can use the treadmill set up here for my brother's injury rehabilitation. Soon, I hope! But YES! A walk would be fantastic. I don't know where the nice walks are around maybe there's some around Settler's? Let me know when works for you and I'll see if I can work it around my work hours.

Now to haul myself off the computer and put on the trainers ;)
  • LittlemissPear
    LittlemissPear Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls, I'm in Canning Vale. Also have 30kg to go until dream size. Could really use friends as I'm an Irish girl, married to an Oz and don't have any friends here yet!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi there;
    I live in Queensland now but I used to live up in Port Hedland in the Pilbara!
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i'm in perth
  • s_stjames
    s_stjames Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I live in Alkimos WA and am in exactly the same boat.. just started on 26th December, post-Xmas. I got a fitbit (I had it on my wish list) and they are FANTASTIC! They sync BEAUTIFULLY with myfitnesspal and together are proving awesome in keeping my on-track and also enabling me to accurately (you cannot believe how accurate the fitbit is.. it's uncanny) monitor my sleep.

You can buy a fitbit for $129.95 from an Apple Store and also from JB HI-FI. They come with two different sized bands. one that you will see displayed prominantly in the packaging and one other inside the box. Get one! I am so very happy with mine and have now bought one for my fiancee that's how good they are. So accurate... so easy and so informative.

You can sync the fitbit with your myfitnesspal account easily. Just type into google search "How to sync fitbit and myfitnesspal" and you'll see a link that shows you how to do it - EASY RIGHT?

I wish you all the best in your weight loss goals.....

Cheers
  • s_stjames
    s_stjames Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh... the fitbit will:

Monitor your sleeping patterns
    Monitor how many steps/kms you walk per day
    Give you silent alarms by buzzing when on your wrist
    Give you indicator of how close you are to completing your goal for the day (you set goals via fitbit.com where you create your account)
    Credit your myfitnesspal account with the excercise you do each day ie. myfitnesspal requirs you to manually log your excercise (walking/running) - when you have a synced fitbit, the work is done for you and fitbit syncs with your myfitnesspal account
    Also, there's an iPhone app which will automatically sync with your fitbit enabling you to have your info with you at all times

Cheers
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Hi. I live in Riverton, WA not far from Canning Vale. I have been on here for a few years now and have been using the site to maintain my weight loss and build on my fitness goals. My weight fluctuates a lot depending on what my current training requires.

I have seen fitbits for sale in **** Smith but I don't own one. I have been using a Polar FT60 heart rate monitor with an internal program to help prevent me from over-training. It gives you goals each week based on HR zones.

I am on here all the time, except for the occasional vacation. My food diary is public and feel free to add me. I try to be supportive as much as I can.
  • rachelemily_xo
    Options
    I'm in Rockingham if anyone wants to add me :)
  • bubblyjoolz
    bubblyjoolz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in Koondoola, I grew up in Bunbury Bunno Mum. :flowerforyou:
  • leesyloo78
    leesyloo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm from Forrestfield in Perth. feel free to add me & if anyone is looking for a walking buddy. First time using MFP.....loving it so far. Got a big 57kg to lose but I'm in it for the long haul.
    Love reading everyone's success stories and hope one day that I can contribute mine.
  • wonderwalls1
    wonderwalls1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in Bunbury, feel free to add me
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm in Queensland. But an Aussie which is pretty awesome lol