Endurance or Sprint Training for Zombie Apocalypse?

Options
_Zardoz_
_Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
I'm trying to decide if I should concerntrate on endurance or sprinting for the oncoming Zombie apocalypse. If the Zombies are fast (e.g. Resident Evil type) obviously some sprint training would be needed to escape them. Though if they are slower but more of them (Walking Dead, Dawn of the Dead) more endurance training could be preferable so without knowing the type it's very difficult to target my training? Advice please what training would best protect me? Would Usain Bolt or Mo Farah be best equiped to survive?

Replies

• velrist
    velrist Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most Zombies are pretty slow and easily outrun but they don't need to sleep and can survive on brains so I reckon endurance training is probably the most effective. That said, there could be zombie mutants or ones that were particularly fit before they transformed, or they could be ghouls in disguise and they are super-fast. The best bet is a headshot and to leg it.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is neither... You must lift all the heavy things and get bulllkeee :tongue:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I would think endurance and strength training would be your best bet. Strength training probably being the most important as zombies are going to out-endurance you no matter what.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    !!!!!LIFT HEAVY!!!!!

What's the question again...
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I would think endurance and strength training would be your best bet. Strength training probably being the most important as zombies are going to out-endurance you no matter what.

This.

Also, work on other survival skills and learn how to shoot a variety of projectile weapons well as head shots are very important.
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You only have to be a little bit faster than the slowest person near you so my vote is sprint training....oh, and lift heavy too!
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Oh No !!!!!! Is that happening this year !! I totally lost track of the time.. What year is it already.. Somebody please help me when they start coming ! I'm all confused .. What do I do ! Are they coming this week .. Help ! Somebody help me pleeeeeese !!! Don't Let The Zombies Get Me !!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is neither... You must lift all the heavy things and get bulllkeee :tongue:
    As has been shown by the Borg though 'Resistance is Futile'
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My plan is work on endurance with HIIT training so I can do short bursts of speed if required. I'm also lifting heavy so if necessary I have a good hard throw/punch/swing and strength to climb. What I'm not sure about is swimming - is a water escape viable or do I run the risk of getting grabbed from below the surface?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sprinting. You need to get to cover/shelter quickly.

If you're planning on running for miles and miles without stopping in a world full of hungry zombies - You're doing it wrong.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the water. Zombies don't need to breathe and could stay submerged until an unsuspecting person went past.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As has been shown by the Borg though 'Resistance is Futile'

You WILL be assimilated... :wink:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'll go with endurance. Once I started training for a half marathon, I was able to pull my 5k down from 39:20 to 29:52. Got my long runs up to 16 miles and my 5k is now 26:04 and still improving.

So, focus on endurance and the speed will come.

Also do some pullups, being able to climb a rope or pull yourself up over a ledge is always a good idea.