Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I need people to help me stay motivated

I just recently got married and I hated the woman in the photos. I made the decision to change, unfortunately everyone except for my husband scoffs when I say I'm going on a diet. They aren't very encouraging and it's making me lose my motivation. I'm reaching out to you amazing people for help and support. I'm 5'7 and starred at 231 my goal weight is 148, help me reach that goal!

Replies

• Kauczuk
    Kauczuk Posts: 14 Member
    Hey,
    My first words to you: you can do it! And you will if you'll do it smart.

I just lost over 50lbs without any diet... Key ingredient was running. I've read a lot how other people did it, I've read professionals who set up diets or excercises... there's a milion ways how to do it and you can't say that some of them are wrong, they're just not for everyone.

Here's what I did:
    1. I forgot that I want to loose weight - I wasn't stressed about it, I didn't check my weight every day
    2. To help myself with above I set up different goal - marathon. To finish marathon you need a lot of commitment and strength to complete a preparation plan. For me it was good because I was focused only about it and nothing else. For some people it's too much so you can choose something different, just make sure you have a pretty long period of time. Loosing a lot of weight it's not something you can (and you shouldn't) do over a month. Signing up for a competition helps with motivation... you will spend some money on it and you cannot change this date.
    3. Diet - forget diet... you will burn weight with excercises/running so you need food, but good food. For start you can quit with pasta, rice, fried stuff and of course sweets. Instead of those put some vegs, fruits and nuts. You can track calories, but you don't have to if you remember to eat smaller portions but 5x per day. I eat snack or meal every 3h and not later than 3h before going to sleep. I was never hungry, I looked for new recipes with more vegetables and less frying... I fell in love with baking and steam cooking. Soups are also great. I won't believe if someone will say that healthy food is not tasty ;) A some point of my preparation to the marathon I ate over 3000kcal per day, so more than before, but that was my need while excercising.
    4. Running, or basically every other activity which involves cardio. And the most important thing is to start slow... Don't push yourself to run 10k, because most likely you'll fail. Set up a goal 3-4 x per week to go out for 20-30min when you will mix jogging and faster walk... Set up small goals - from one street lamp to another run, then walk and repeat it for 30 min... you will see that from workout to workout you will improove distance. When you will run full 30min you can add more time up to 40min and try to make one longer run ofer the weekend 1h or more if you will like it. Last thing, don't run too fast. Ideal pace is when you are still able to chat... If you don't have running buddy you can call someone or talk to yourself :) Really, it helps :)

This helped me. Most important thing is to start slow with all activities, because you need to get used to excercies. It's a big change in your life, probably shock for your body so you don't want to injure yourself or be so tired that you'll lose motivation.

This recipe is guaranteed. If you will follow it most likely you'll fell in love with running and this will change your mind. Thanks to that you will not see yo-yo effect.

Don't forget to make a "before" shot :) I will be a nice to see yourself after few months when you'll throw away everything from your closet because you need smaller stuff ;)
  • You are on the right track! Exercise is one of the first thinks to do, not only losing weight, but toning that body that is losing weight!
    You don't have to run and overdo it! Start with baby steps and work up to doing more. I like Zumba, but not always able to go because of schedule. But if you just put on some music and dance and move while you are at home, cooking, cleaning. Every step counts and its one more step then before you started. I am in the process of trying to lose weight! I am a Weight Watcher Twice reached goal, because I went back to eating junk food and everything else under the sun just because I let myself do it!

I did feel better physically, emotional and liked myself when I was at my goal! I need to tell myself to do this again and have a goal for the Spring.
    Just think of all the cute clothes out there! Not counting what is important to me is that I am getting older almost 60!!
    Keeping in shape [healthy] Its better for your bones etc.

Best wishes and let encourage each other!
    God Bless, Grace
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Hey!

My name is Adam and I'm currently doing a personal trainer course….basially joined the site to keep a closer eye on my clients but also to help as many people as I can. I use the site in a number of ways: provide daily support, link you up with people with similar goals and help you and them as a group….stuff like that…if you think some of that would help, pop me a message!

Good luck reaching your goals!

Adam
  • Let's be awesome together, strive for progress, not perfection! Add a picture and add me and I'll whippersnapper you some motivation :bigsmile:
  • littlelily76
    littlelily76 Posts: 14 Member
    I would love to support each other on this journey! I had to reset my ticker to nearly where I was post partum after my second baby. That was very distressing but I have just finished a second masters program which was very stressful. Let's help each other navigate life's ups and downs while getting healthier!
  • Hi,

I need motivation as well. It will be great to have help from someone who can understands ups and down of the weight loss process. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm new to this as well.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    I made the decision to change, unfortunately everyone except for my husband scoffs when I say I'm going on a diet. They aren't very encouraging and it's making me lose my motivation.

People scoff because you say that you are going on a diet and studies have shown that many diets don't work. I told the people around me that I am trying to be healthier and lose weight. How are you going to do that? By making healthier choices and leave it at that..... I found that most ppl could get behind that because everyone strives to be healthier.

Good luck
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Well there is your problem : Diet

You do not need to go on a diet, you need to make life changes. Diets do not work and if they do they are only temporary, if you get smart and make smarter more beneficial food changes you will see results. Others will see that you are actually serious about it and they will not jeer/ignore your attempt.
  • I misphrased that, I didn't mean diet as in an actual diet but as in exercise, healthier foods and no more junk food/soda. I don't have the money or the want for a structured diet