How much weight should I lose? Pics.

Options
I want to lose 9 lbs to become 8st 6lbs (5'5) which is a healthy weight for me.
This is what I currently look like/ what I want to look like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87767361@N08/

P.S. I know I won't look exactly like these girls but it's just an outline.

This is my diet:

1200 NET calories
Lots of leafy greens/veg and fruit
sausages and lean mince
yogurt/peanut butter
drink green tea/water

And doing HIIT/weights etc. for exercise

Is this a good plan? I'm trying low carb (below 150g) which is working but I'm pretty hungry on it!
I want to lose 2lbs per week.

Any advice on my plan? Good? Bad?

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bad. You don't have that much weight to lose (you look fine as is to be honest!) and so a goal of 2lbs per week just won't work. When you're down to the last few, 0.5lbs a week is more realistic.

Is the 1200 after calories burned during exercise? If not you need to allow for more. As for the meat side of things, lean chicken and fish are probably "better" than sausages and mince, but really my main comment on the diet side of things is you'll need far more variety to keep you sane and on track :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A loss of 2 lb per week is for people with a lot of weight to lose and you should be looking more like 0.5 lbs per week so that a) your food plan is easier to stick to and b) you find it easier to keep the weight off.

I also assume that by NET 1200 you understand that you eat back calories burnt through exercise?
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. And stop comparing to other bodies.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

This is my diet:

1200 NET calories
    sausages and lean mince
    yogurt/peanut butter
    drink green tea/water

Is this a good plan? I'm trying low carb (below 150g) which is working but I'm pretty hungry on it!

Heh your pictures remind me of myself when I first started my journey, we have similar builds. For the majority of my 22lbs, I have done 1200 net and it has worked fine for me. I also did not do low carb, I think low carb is pointless but I would advise that you get the majority of your carbs from veg, fruit, wholemeal bread, brown rice and pasta. Anything white carby, stay away from. Also eat your exercise calories back.

Expect to lose 1lb from the above ^^^ good luck!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic to expect to lose 2lbs a week with so little to lose, and it is unnecessary to eat 1200 calories. Wouldn't you rather figure out what is the most you can eat while still losing? with your height you could easily eat about 1500 net and lose, while not jeopardizing your lean mass (which you might be doing on the 1200 unless you get a LOT more protein than what MFP recommends)

A slow loss of 0.5-1 pound a week would be more realistic, sustainable and would give you a better chance of not ending up "skinny fat", meaning thin but wobbly.
  • MythicOil90
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Kaned.

And yes, I eat 1,400 calories per day and burn about 200 .
    And I know chicken/fish is better but when I go "too" healthy I get bored and stop, so I'm trying to make foods I like to keep me on track.

And I am trying to be as varied as possible, it's just hard with little money, I'm already spending too much on food as it is :)
  • MythicOil90
    Options
    A loss of 2 lb per week is for people with a lot of weight to lose and you should be looking more like 0.5 lbs per week so that a) your food plan is easier to stick to and b) you find it easier to keep the weight off.

I also assume that by NET 1200 you understand that you eat back calories burnt through exercise?

I think that's very little though isn't it? I eat 1400 per day and burn the 200. Maybe If I were to eat 1500 and burn 200 that would be more realistic?
  • MythicOil90
    Options

This is my diet:

1200 NET calories
    sausages and lean mince
    yogurt/peanut butter
    drink green tea/water

Heh your pictures remind me of myself when I first started my journey, we have similar builds. For the majority of my 22lbs, I have done 1200 net and it has worked fine for me. I also did not do low carb, I think low carb is pointless but I would advise that you get the majority of your carbs from veg, fruit, wholemeal bread, brown rice and pasta. Anything white carby, stay away from. Also eat your exercise calories back.

Expect to lose 1lb from the above ^^^ good luck!

The thing is with low carb is when I don't do taht I tend to eat too much bread/pasta etc. And I am eating grains such as chickpeas/kidney beans and lots of fruit. I'm also going to get some wholewheat brown pasta as well. Thank you anyway.
  • MythicOil90
    Options
    It is unrealistic to expect to lose 2lbs a week with so little to lose, and it is unnecessary to eat 1200 calories. Wouldn't you rather figure out what is the most you can eat while still losing? with your height you could easily eat about 1500 net and lose, while not jeopardizing your lean mass (which you might be doing on the 1200 unless you get a LOT more protein than what MFP recommends)

A slow loss of 0.5-1 pound a week would be more realistic, sustainable and would give you a better chance of not ending up "skinny fat", meaning thin but wobbly.

I see your point about it being too fast. Ok, I'll up my calories to 1500 and not eat less then 1300 NET.

Would that be better?
  • MythicOil90
    Options

Like I said, it is an outline to make others understand what my general aim is, and I understand won't ever look excatly like these women. It's an idea of what I hope to achieve.
  • ell_v131
    Options

I see your point about it being too fast. Ok, I'll up my calories to 1500 and not eat less then 1300 NET.

Would that be better?

Personally I think going to 1500 NET would still give you weight loss, but I understand it's a bit scary if you're on 1200 now. I was on 1200 for a while and found it terrifying to make the change, but I am so happy I did. Now I'm on 1600 so I eat 1800-1900 depending on exercise. I'm 1 inch taller than you.

You see, with so little fat to lose your body will tap into other energy reserves when it's in deficit. Sometimes glycogen (carb stores) are not the best accessible and your body will start breaking down protein for energy. This is the reason why ideally towards the end of your weight loss (last 10 lbs or so) the deficit would be about 250 calories from your TDEE (Which I calculated at over 1850!) to minimize the muscle loss, along with getting enough protein (at least 1g/pound of lean body mass, but I eat about 1g/pound of bodyweight - keeps me full). This way you will make sure that the way you're losing is actual fat and not muscle, which would be a shame. It's hard for us women to build any.

as for your food, I think your food choices are fine. Eating what you like is key to a sustainable lifestyle. Throwing in some BBQ chicken or fish and steak will not hurt, and they are delicious options :)
  • MythicOil90
    Options

Would that be better?

Personally I think going to 1500 NET would still give you weight loss, but I understand it's a bit scary if you're on 1200 now. I was on 1200 for a while and found it terrifying to make the change, but I am so happy I did. Now I'm on 1600 so I eat 1800-1900 depending on exercise. I'm 1 inch taller than you.

You see, with so little fat to lose your body will tap into other energy reserves when it's in deficit. Sometimes glycogen (carb stores) are not the best accessible and your body will start breaking down protein for energy. This is the reason why ideally towards the end of your weight loss (last 10 lbs or so) the deficit would be about 250 calories from your TDEE (Which I calculated at over 1850!) to minimize the muscle loss, along with getting enough protein (at least 1g/pound of lean body mass, but I eat about 1g/pound of bodyweight - keeps me full). This way you will make sure that the way you're losing is actual fat and not muscle, which would be a shame. It's hard for us women to build any.

as for your food, I think your food choices are fine. Eating what you like is key to a sustainable lifestyle. Throwing in some BBQ chicken or fish and steak will not hurt, and they are delicious options :)

I eat quite alot of protein to fill me up 70g of the stuff! I think I'll eat 1500 net and see how that goes, if it's unsustainable then I'll up my calories.

And I agree, before I've eaten food thats so healthy, but I just got soo bored, so I need to add something yummy as well!
  • ell_v131
    Options

Would that be better?

I eat quite alot of protein to fill me up 70g of the stuff! I think I'll eat 1500 net and see how that goes, if it's unsustainable then I'll up my calories.

And I agree, before I've eaten food thats so healthy, but I just got soo bored, so I need to add something yummy as well!

Sounds like a good plan! all the best:flowerforyou:
  • MythicOil90
    Options

Would that be better?

Sounds like a good plan! all the best:flowerforyou:

Thank you! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This one hundred times over.

I have no opinion on whether you should or should not lose weight, but I do think you must concentrate on your own body type and making YOU the best the best that you can be.

This is done through eating at a small calorie deficit since you have little to lose, and exercising if you like to exercise. I'd advise you eat more, eat your exercise calories back, and stop comparing yourself to other women.

Good luck.