How much cardio do YOU do ?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At the moment not a whole lot, but up until this past year I was running consistently 3-5 days a week. I'll be ramping that up again soon in preparation for a half marathon. Running is the only real cardio I'd ever do. I despise machines.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As little as possible. I do walk around or on a treadmill between sets of resistance exercise, so I guess that might count. Maybe a walk here and there, but rarely any running, jogging, biking, etc.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Running 4 times a week training for a half marathon in May. Squash once a week. Bodyweight strength training 3 times a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lots!

My normal weekly routine is 3 x cardio, 3 x strength sessions (alternating) a week but this varies throughout the year.
    Currently doing 4 x strength and 2 x cardio but will soon will be stepping up cardio ahead of the cycling season.

Cardio is a mix of LISS, HIIT, highish intensity/long duration. Using spinning bike, rower, elliptical and some very limited treadmill, one session a week would normally be a long or intense cycle. Also recently resumed playing squash.

I try to build in exercise into my normal daily activity too - cycle or walk to the station, always try to use a cycle for short journeys, lunchtime walks etc..
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    True cardio... 30mins 3x a week. treadmill =)
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    2 x 60 mins on cross trainer
    1 spin class
    2 personal training sessions which are a mix of cardio and strength

I have gone from leisurely walking the dog to this in 4 months
    Going start more strength training in the new year!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for real cardio (LISS and medium intensity): 3 hours a week

high intensity sprints (is it really cardio if i'm working anaerobically?) 20 mins a week

circuit style resistance work (mix of cardio and higher intensity): 60 mins a week
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I run. Typically 5-6 days a week, 10km per run (at least 20k or more on Sunday's). Marathon training starts up again later in January so I'll be doing a lot more in the coming months.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just racquetball... 2-3 times a week for about 1-2 hours.

I like it because it's more like HIIT, running and stopping all around
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    None because I cannot stand it.

If I enjoyed it, I would definitely do some.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP how much do you do

?
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I walk at a moderate pace for at least 30 minutes every day (not including work / shopping etc!) that's a given.

I do 45min of moderate / high intensity (usually on exercise bike) 3-4 times a week.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Run 10-13km twice a week, currently training for a half marathon in March.
    Adding boxing once a week into the mix.

I get 50-60 minutes of walking per day in as well, but that's just walking hehe!
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Probably too much at the moment! Need to learn to incorporate proper rest days...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week. A minimum of 30 minutes. Two days should be 45 minutes or more and one day (long run) should be an hour or more. Depending on whats on my training plan. I do resistance exercises, pilates, or stretch/foam roll for at least 30 minutes the other days.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    60 minutes 6 days a week and sometimes more

zumba 2 x week
    short runs on treadmills 30-45 min two times a week
    elliptical on run days (make up difference to an hour) the other 4 days 60 min
    Long run 1 x a week- over an hour
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I get in 5-7 cardio workouts/week. I do not lift weights, although I should, I just get more out of cardio. Run 3-4 times week / bike 2x / swim 1-2x. Training for a half marathon in Feb and so I'm running in the 15 mile/week area, will ramp up to 25 over the next 6 weeks.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Probably too much at the moment! Need to learn to incorporate proper rest days...

I've been doing cardio daily for a few decades now and can count on one hand the number of days I miss in a year. Right now during the week I do 45 mins. on the elliptical and 10 on the bike; on the weekends it's an hour on the elliptical and half an hour on the bike. In the summer I'll do 2-hour bike rides. Last summer I did a sprint triathlon and 3 50K charity bike rides.

What are these rest days of which you speak? ;-)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Almost 0. Some rowing machine( 5 min ?)

I just do circuit training with minimal rest inbetween(or none - crossfit mainly) and strength train seperately.

Been losing fat + gaining muscle this way steadily.

I did hop on the treadmill to see if my cardio's improved and the answer is ... yes.

This shows that if you do intense workouts where your hr is elevated at 80-90% of max for an extended period of time, your 'cardio' will improve.

Definately never have to hop on the treadmill once in your life and you will get to the point where you can jog for 40 min - 1 hour.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    But then I would prefer to train to run a 5k faster and faster rather than people that run half marathons and marathons...

For the latter two, you need to train seperately and cannot strength train as much since your upper body has to be light.

For having great 5k times, you can have the best of both worlds by incorporating intensive plyometric/circuit training into your exercise regimen and using that as your base workout instead of cardio.