Chocolate Addiction; Withdrawal symptoms???

Options
Hello!

So, I've had a chocolate problem for quite awhile now. I've realized I over eat sweets ONLY because I freaking love chocolate ones... So I figured " Hey, why not stop eating it for New Years? I can still have sweets, but I'll now eat them in moderation instead of being waist deep in a Hershey pile."

So, I did. The day after New Year's, I was completely without chocolate. (I had a little the first day starting because I felt a tad off, though much less than usual.)

Thus far, I've experienced a general feeling of being "heavy" in my arms, more tired than usual, slight nausea, irritability (mild), a short-lived extreme dizzy spell (could've been my ear drums that time), and shakiness (though I had eaten recently.)

Anyone else gone through this? It's kind of crazy.

Replies

• TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    How is your water intake it will help flush your body dizziness can be caused by a couple of things through my experience not eating enough, depression which I recently found out from the doctor and early menopause which is me the last one. But good on you with the chocolate I get a horrible sweet tooth when TOM is due to come knocking on my door. So I am trying when I feel like something sweet have some water even if it a couple of glasses that way I will be full of water and not feel like chocolate
  • KDEMomma
    Options
    It might be a caffeine withdrawal. Chocolate has caffeine in it and if your used to consuming a lot that could be the problem. I drank 2 cups a day after my son was born and he started getting reflux symptoms so I had to stop cold turkey. I felt like I had the flu for a few days, horrible headaches and body aches. Best of luck with your chocolate detox!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yep. My bet is your missing the caffeine as well.
  • SarahSeemsSilly
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I gave up soda a month ago. I was grouchy, and had headaches a lot and got tired often. If you feel drained of energy, try drinking green tea with honey (or without. your choice) and I found that also got rid of the headaches. Be sure to drink a lot of water too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello!

So, I've had a chocolate problem for quite awhile now. I've realized I over eat sweets ONLY because I freaking love chocolate ones... So I figured " Hey, why not stop eating it for New Years? I can still have sweets, but I'll now eat them in moderation instead of being waist deep in a Hershey pile."

So, I did. The day after New Year's, I was completely without chocolate. (I had a little the first day starting because I felt a tad off, though much less than usual.)

Thus far, I've experienced a general feeling of being "heavy" in my arms, more tired than usual, slight nausea, irritability (mild), a short-lived extreme dizzy spell (could've been my ear drums that time), and shakiness (though I had eaten recently.)

Anyone else gone through this? It's kind of crazy.
    Chocolate has caffeine in it. Could it be caffeine withdrawal rather than chocolate withdrawal?
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think you're having symptoms of withdrawal!
    I like chocolate candy, too, but I don't like the sugar content.
    I don't want to use up my carb allowance on empty calories.

So my way around this problem is to resist buying commercial chocolate products.
    I make a 'freezer candy' by mixing a half-ounce of a bar
    of 100% cocoa baking chocolate into 2 tablespoons
    of melted coconut oil or unsalted butter, with some artificial sweetener.
    Spoon the mixture into the dividers of an ice cube tray,
    and put it the freezer for 30 minutes or so to harden.

Eat as many portions as your fat allowance permits.
    The carbs are negligible.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I ballooned to 258, eating fast food, drinking soda's and eating candy, way too much. I am an all or nothing kinda a guy when I can be, so I gave it all up, cold turkey. I had a headache for 10 days during the withdraw. It's the same withdraw I got from giving up coffee in the past.

Stick to your commitment, if you can. Your body will adjust, I assure you, our bodies adjust to all sorts of things and we take it for granted, we are wonders of nature.

So, I started Nov 24, the first week, I lost 10 lbs, still hard to believe, Christmas came around and I am the chocolatier of my family, I made Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter balls, milk chocolate ones, Birds Nests, Takes 5's -- you know what, by the time I made all these insanely great treats, my body no longer craved them (normally I would eat 10% of what I made in a day or two, this time, if I want to treat myself, I will grab one from the freezer)

Hang in there, if you can make it through the withdraw, you will be amazed how you can control the cravings.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You stopped eating chocolate, but are you eating enough calories in the rest of the day?
    I get those symptoms when I have been undereating, or eating not enough carbs.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I feel you, I'm somewhere in my second week of a chocolate free life. I had a headache first few days, now I'm just dealing with the cravings. There's hope though, I definitely find it easier and easier to say no!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    have a look at a website called radiant recovery. They have plenty of info which shows why some people get addicted to sugar and others don't it also gives tips to getting your body off the stuff and how to protect yourself. Well worth a read.
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible addiction to chocolate !! I eat it everyday !! I am ready to give it up, but knowing I am gonna go through with drawls has stopped me !! I have a trainer friend who told me organic Apple Cider vinegar will help curb my sweet tooth and help with withdraws. What do ya'll think ??
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a mass sweet tooth, trust me it gets easier!!
    If I get a little craving now (not HALF as bad as I was! I used to always need some kind of chocolate creation after dinner) I make muffins with blueberries / raspberries / bananas and some chocolate chips in them. Coconut oil in there also gives it a sweet kick without adding a lot of sugar.
    Your body will learn to love the more natural sugars eventually!
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies! Maggie, I really recommend just going for it or tapering off, even. I feel a little better today, though admittedly, my mood is worse. The physical symptoms are better though!

It might've been the caffeine in it, but I'm not sure. I almost think it was sugar content, a sudden reduction in the amount of sugar I consume a day, and blood sugar issues. I eat plenty, lol, trust me. (Working on balancing my meals AFTER cutting out the chocolate.)

Anyway, for anyone else trying to cut out sweets, I've realized having the support of someone who can talk to some sense into you helps a bunch. I'm motivated, but hey, I'm not perfect. My boyfriend scolded me out of smores bars last night since I told him my goal. (And I love him a bit more for it.)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Measure out a reasonable portion of chocolate that fits into your calories for the day, put the rest away, and then eat your portion. Chocolate is not bad for you and there is no reason to never eat it again for the rest of your life. Even if you did 'succeed' what have you accomplished?
  • DatPanna
    Options
    I've tried doing that, and I just find I end up waiting ALL day obsessing over the chocolate. '_' So thanks, but no thanks. Besides, I want to try it out for a year. I never said I'd give it up entirely.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Yep. My bet is your missing the caffeine as well.

QFT, have you thought about switching to dark chocolate and eating that in moderation? No reason to give up one of natures greatest gifts.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This might help because it did for me.
    I went vegan which means no milk chocolate products. So I can't just buy heaps of dark chocolate because hey, gotta eat a balanced diet if I'm going to function normally. So I eat sweet fruits like grapes, dates, clementines, ect. Eventually you'll forget about the chocolate.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dear Dat Panna,

I just thought sharing my issues with chocolate may be helpful.

OK I have 2 auto-immune diseases....the 1st being Central Sensitization, which turns the sympathetic nervous system on ALL the time (this is our flight or fight response)....amongst other stuff it causes cortisol levels to be constantly raised and left long enough will affect internal organs. The 2nd is Lupus....newly diagnosed May 2013.

Now with that background out of the way I was always sensitive to chocolate/sugar (other than natural fruits...even had to be careful with the amount consumed) and booze. Enough was never enough. Post ingestion I would be edgy, prone to over-reacting, dips in mood (OK one minute, teary the next) and then there were the headaches, which eventually deteriorated to migraines. Now I have developed these health issues....the whole chocolate, sugar, booze issue is MUCH more profound.

Look my situation is unique......but so many times these genuine enquiries and personal experiences of unusual reactions to foods turn into a bun-fight.....and that isn't fair. In regards to reactions to foods often we are unique. There may be little or no diagnostic evidence that medicine can show us to explain why or how we feel the way we do. That lack of evidence shouldn't deter someone from conducting the experiment on themselves to see if they actually do FEEL better and lose the problematic symptoms they are having. It isn't as tho you are going to have a nutritional crisis cutting these things back or out completely.

For me it has taken me a long, long time to get to the point where I don't feel liking I'm missing out or caving in to societal pressure that comes with the idea that, "This food/drink won't hurt you....just have a whatever portion you're allowed, put the rest away and don't deprive yourself." Also with this comes the warnings that this decision is unsustainable and life will now be lacking in some way or another. The rigidity of such a mindset can be very difficult to cope with.

For many people, including those that have been kind enough and brave enough to respond to this question; we do know that it is a problem for us, whether it's a trigger, leading to a binge, headaches, hungover feelings, major dip in energy levels, whatever.

Good Luck.
  • citizenpioneer
    citizenpioneer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Generally craving chocolate means you need magnesium, or some other kinds of minerals and nutrients. Try supplementing with these (a good way to get magnesium is by taking a bath in epsom salts so it gets through the skin), or getting some blood work done to see what you're low on.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually healthy for you. Get a chocolate with a high cocoa quality like 70%.