Overwhelming celery surplus. Interesting recipes? *No meat

Options
My mom just bought me two 3 packs of celery from Costco. Getting mildly annoyed with unending ziploc bags of celery sticks. Interesting/healthy recipe ideas to use up my surplus would be much appreciated. Fish recipes are solid, just no meat please :)

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You could always add various veggies to it and make up a big pot of vegetable broth. That would freeze well for later use in soups and sauces.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I chop them up with everything I cook along with onions.
  • Howdycloud
    Howdycloud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kimmie () - Sep 26, 2008

CELERY SOUP

500gm celery,
    2 potatoes
    2 onions
    oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 bayleaf
    nutmeg to taste
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon vege/chicken stock powder.

Dice the celery and peel and dice the onions and potatoes, soften the onion and potatoes in the oil, then add the celery and cook for a minute or two. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil then simmer for about 40 minutes depending on the consistency you want. Soup can be mashed or pureed.

This is delish from www.simplesavings.com.au
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Just chop it up and add it to whatever you're cooking.
  • lwardle7
    Options
    Celery will keep for a long time if stored by cutting off the base and wrapping tightly in foil and kept in the refrigerator. I have had it keep over a month this way.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Works good in chili - a nice addition. I have to confess I carry around a bag of celery to sub for more caloric snacks when I am out...
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd but cooked celery tossed in a bit of butter is yummy as a side vegetable dish. Just boil the celery until tender, add salt, pepper and butter. I remember my mom making this for us as kids.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That's quite a bit of celery to use all at once, unless you're preparing meals for quite a few people. Did you know that celery (and onions, carrots, bell peppers) can be frozen? Just chop and divide into baggies or freeze on a cookie sheet and then move to a freezer bag. It won't be crisp for munching, but it will work great in soups, casseroles, crock pot dishes etc. If you use celery in making veggie burgers or some favorite dish you could make up a big batch to use up some of your celery and freeze those. Another option would be to dry/dehydrate so you can store it and use to season dishes over time.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Are you using it with dips? sometimes having a different dip can give an old snack new life. Try hummus, tuna salad, black bean dip, cream cheese, nut butter, egg salad, yogurt, or cottage cheese, etc.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian (lentil) shepherds pie!

Onion, celery, carrot - Cook these in a pan till they start to soften
    Add a small amount of passata / crushed tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes
    Add the rest of the passata and a can of lentils.

Top with mashed potato and back in the oven for 10-15 minutes. :)

Make up the amounts to suit your liking.

Sorry I'm too slack for proper instructions right now. Inbox if you need anything!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Celery will keep for a long time if stored by cutting off the base and wrapping tightly in foil and kept in the refrigerator. I have had it keep over a month this way.
    This.
    I can only eat celery raw. Hate it if it's cooked (do we have a gagging icon??).
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's good roasted in the oven with a little olive oil too.