why so many carbs ?

I read that if I keep my carb intake at only 20 that I would take off weight faster and the right kind of fat at that ! Who here has kept their carb intake low...or that low ? Do you feel better ? Because I see here on MFP they recommend much higher than the 20. All thoughts and advice welcomed !! :smile:

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    I am newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, so carb counting is huge for me. Even so, I'm allowed up to 45 carbs/meal, or 135/day. Now that may change after I get my next blood work done but it's where they started me at. I just used the custom settings to change my daily carb limit, as mfp did calculate it quite a bit higher than that.

Keeping your carb level that low is doable but very difficult to maintain over time. Your body needs some carbs to have energy to function. Maybe try 2 days very low carb, then 1 day at moderate levels, alternating through your week.

For me, the first couple of weeks were killer. I was so hungry all the time I could have eaten cardboard. I discovered I had to greatly increase my protein amounts. Higher fiber is good too, although I'm finding it difficult to select high fiber foods that don't have a lot of carbs.

I have lost weight quickly, 13-14 lbs in the first month. Course, I have a lot to lose and that makes a difference. The closer you are to your goal weight, the slower the lbs come off.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I read that if I keep my carb intake at only 20 that I would take off weight faster and the right kind of fat at that ! Who here has kept their carb intake low...or that low ? Do you feel better ? Because I see here on MFP they recommend much higher than the 20. All thoughts and advice welcomed !! :smile:

That would be people on some sort of ketogenic diet.....
    THink paleo....

people who eat only fats and protein....

You will lose weight and burn fat if you are at a caloric deficit....
    The reason people lose weight doing low carbs is because they are cutting out a source of calories they are not making up elsewhere.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    [/qu

because 20 is very unhealthy. good luck if you decide to stick to it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. Some people cut/lower carbs because they are insuline resistant (PCOS, diabetes, etc.), others do it because carbs can be calorie dense and it's an easy way to cut calories. It's not necessary. What you eat and your macro breakdown is based on what you like to eat, what keeps you satiated, and what will help you reach your goals.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

low carbing is a stupid dietary fad. once the weight loss industry has made all of the money that they can off of that fad, they will move on to the next "miracle" weight loss fad.

it's all bunk. there is nothing wrong with eating carbs*. they are fast energy for your body/mind and i know when i exercise a lot and haven't eaten enough carbs, i get tired quickly. carbs are used to quickly refuel yourself and also carbs taste great. focus on your protein and fats intake, eat at a calorie deficit, and enjoy the foods you do eat. that's the key to success. anything else is a stupid fad or gimmick that just makes the process more difficult.

*people with medical issues like diabetes are the only ones who need to be careful about their carb intake.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    My friend is a nutritionist. I thought 55% of cals from carbs (the pre-set amount on MFP) seemed really high (and the pre-set % for protein seemed low). She said that her best guess is that the percentages are based on "the food pyramind" guidelines.

I changed mine to 35c/30p/35fat. There was also a really good link on a thread that a moderator posted about how to set your macros. Search and see if you can find "setting your macros" in the topics.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    I' m trying low carbs high protein since last week, ratio of 65/30/5 fat/protein/carbs, takes a bit of juggling to get it right, sorted with the fats and protein, carbs keep slipping over sightly, not that worried though. It seems easier after the first few days of "What can i eat????" But not impossible. Read Grain Brain and Wheat belly books for info and recipies.
  • BrainyBurro
    I' m trying low carbs high protein since last week, ratio of 65/30/5 fat/protein/carbs, takes a bit of juggling to get it right, sorted with the fats and protein, carbs keep slipping over sightly, not that worried though. It seems easier after the first few days of "What can i eat????" But not impossible. Read Grain Brain and Wheat belly books for info and recipies.

Wheat Belly is propaganda.

your protein is also too low.

why not learn the actual science of all this so that you are not so easily duped by diet fads and gimmicks?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member

low carbing is a stupid dietary fad. once the weight loss industry has made all of the money that they can off of that fad, they will move on to the next "miracle" weight loss fad.

it's all bunk. there is nothing wrong with eating carbs*. they are fast energy for your body/mind and i know when i exercise a lot and haven't eaten enough carbs, i get tired quickly. carbs are used to quickly refuel yourself and also carbs taste great. focus on your protein and fats intake, eat at a calorie deficit, and enjoy the foods you do eat. that's the key to success. anything else is a stupid fad or gimmick that just makes the process more difficult.

*people with medical issues like diabetes are the only ones who need to be careful about their carb intake.

^This
  • I keep to keto myself as far as nutrition (I aim for a net of under 50 per day), though I don't speak on it in the forums often because of the condescending attitudes of some people. My results have been great and I do not get hungry thanks to the protein intake.

People can feel free to eat my share of carbs and sugar.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I found the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Like some one else said, you have to play around with the measurements too I think. If you are supposed to be lower on the carbs per dr's advice, you can always go change the setting in MFP.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    [/quote]

That would be people on some sort of ketogenic diet.....
    THink paleo....

people who eat only fats and protein....

You will lose weight and burn fat if you are at a caloric deficit....
    The reason people lose weight doing low carbs is because they are cutting out a source of calories they are not making up elsewhere.
    [/quote]

Ketogenic and Paleo are not the same thing at ALL. Keto you can't even eat carrots because they're too high carb. Paleo you can eat maple syrup.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    There's no quick fix. Better to set your macro ratios moderately (40/30/30 c/f/p) and lose weight in a sustainable way.

Ketosis works for some people but it takes a huge amount of education and dedication. It's not appropriate for the majority of people seeking to lose weight.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    well aware of the scientific fact behind it thanks, nothing wrong with differing opinions, eating processed high carbs foods which the body then stores as fat? no my choice but each to their own as different methods work for different people.
    Every body needs to be able to discuss different options to find out whats right for them as everyone had different goals and medical issues. One size does not fit all x
  • Really low carb diets aren't good for you at all. They can affect your kidneys and your cholesterol. As a type 2 diabetic, I am able to consume 45 carbs per meal and three daily snacks with 15 carbs. This is also typically what we teach our diabetic patients, typically geared towards their hemoglobin A1C. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies and I don't add many extra carbs from processed things. I sweeten with stevia from the health food store. As I stated, for my health, I must watch my carbs, that is why mine consumption is on the low side, if I didn't have to watch them, I don't think I would be as strict with myself. So enjoy a way of eating that you can live with, not one that is a fad, that you probably won't maintain for the rest of your life. Best of luck to you.
  • BrainyBurro
    well aware of the scientific fact behind it thanks, nothing wrong with differing opinions, eating processed high carbs foods which the body then stores as fat? no my choice but each to their own as different methods work for different people.
    Every body needs to be able to discuss different options to find out whats right for them as everyone had different goals and medical issues. One size does not fit all x

you don't know what you think you know. SMH.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    why not? Carbs are a great source for energy.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    For a newby, you'd be doing great to just keep your carbs as low as 100g a day. How's that for a compromise?! Try it and you'll see, the weight will fall off, as long as you diligently count your calories as well. 100g a day is supposed to be as low as you really need to go to kick the wheat belly and heal insulin resistance. It worked for my DH.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Carbs primary function are as your source of glucose, which is a molecule necessary for your body's cell function. So you don't want to eat excessively low carbs.
    That said, a girl in my course argued that she eats almost no carbs and is super healthy. She said she found research that showed our bodies can create glucose from other molecules--which is true. The question is whether or not our bodies are capable of producing enough glucose to maintain adequate glucose levels on a low carb diet. She insisted that it can. Keep in mind, she's a figure competitor, kind of like body building, so it could be biased information. I haven't done the research on that much myseld (I'm not personally all that interested, since I'm quite content with a higher carb diet), but if you're looking into low carbs, that's probably where you want to take your research; whether or not your body can produce adequate amounts of glucose on a low carb diet.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I love carbs and Id kill you all if you tried to take mine.