Incorrect nutrition value on Protein Powder Entrys

Options
fxst78
fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
I have just ahd a look at some of the entries for different protein powders and I am amazed at how many of them are totally incorrect! I really hope that people are not using these figures too much in thier daily entries as they will be WAY over in calories if they are!

For example one said that a 30g scoop had 29g protein and was only 70 calories!!! This is impossible! Protein has 4 calories per gram so even if it has no fat or carbs at all it has to have at least 116 calories!!!

People could be going way over if they are not confirming the nutritional info of the protein powder they enter.

Remember:

Protein: 4 calories per gram
Carbs: 4 calories per gram
Fat: 9 calories per gram

So you should always be able to do a quick check. As a general rule a 30g scoop of Protein Powder will have at least 110 calories.

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I use whey isolate and my full scope (can't remember how many grams) is 100 cal. The brand that I use (4 Ever Fit) was not in the database so I entered all the nutritional information by hand and made it available to all MFP users.

If you see something wrong, and you have the correct values, you can change them yourself. You will be making a big favor to all the users.
  • krasay
    krasay Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I am new to this site and have been relying on all the food in the database. I will do some cross checking going forward.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I cross check and edit if need be. If something isn't right you can click No and it gives you the option to edit then a note area saying what you changed. I do it all the time.

The heads up on the protein drinks is HUGE as these can pack some serious calories.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know I can edit them but I don't have the actual values! I just though it was amazing that a supplement that so many people use could be so wrong on cals! Half in most cases! Of the 20 or so I opened 14 where totally wrong, usually in the range of half or less of the actual calories!
    I am suprised the MFP system doesn't recognise when a serving of 29g protein doesn't have at least 116cal! Nutridiary used to not let you add a food if it didn't add up!