Fitness myths you used to believe

Options
13»

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That there is large individual variation in metabolism. Barring some rare medical condition, there really isn't. I wasn't fat because of slow metabolism, I was fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise enough.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    that metabolism shuts down (or at the very least, significantly slows) at night. Therefore my night eating (which I often do in my sleep, finding the evidence in the morning) was going to prevent me from losing any weight at all because it was ALL storing as fat. So glad I got over that one.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat!

generally in colloquial english we say "weighs more" when we mean something is more dense in scientific terms.

correcting someone on that is a great way to show you are smart enough to learn, but too lazy to teach
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Girls who lift heavy turn into Arnie Schwarzie!:laugh:
    Lots of crunches make flat belly.
    Potato and bread are bad!
    "Diet" food helps loosing weight.
    There must be a magic pill somewhere!
    Fitness is for nerds and phonies.
    You can't work out efficiently at home.
    Ton's of proteins give you sixpack.
    "This" food is good.
    "That" food is bad.

Dear Lord.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

generally in colloquial english we say "weighs more" when we mean something is more dense in scientific terms.

correcting someone on that is a great way to show you are smart enough to learn, but too lazy to teach

It doesn't even make any sense unless the person says, 'A POUND of ___ weighs more than a POUND of ____. '

A fitness myth I used to believe, thank to Bill Phillips of Body For Life: Work out fasted, first thing in the morning, because you burn many times more fat that way.

Another one is that running is good for everyone.

And that an hour of 'exercise' burns more calories than several hours of 'activity'.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I remember someone telling me not to use the ab machines at the gym, because resistance training makes muscles bigger, and why would you want to make that area bigger? Ah, good times.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window
    Low carb for fat loss
    Starches are unhealthy
    Brown rice is healthier
    No carbs before bed
    No food before bed
    Eat more meals to keep metabolism up

Lift light weight high reps when cutting
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That fat was the devil. I can't believe how many gross things I ate trying to avoid it (fat free cream cheese, I'm looking at you).
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after six pm, only drink water, three meals a day with two peices of white bread every meal
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I think this one is misleading. Yes, a pound is a pound is a pound. However, what is meant by it, and what people should be saying is, "Muscle takes up less space than fat, so the scale may go up, or not move, but you'll look and feel better if you have more muscle than fat."

People are just lazy and so they say it incorrectly.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Protein first thing in the morning "stokes your metabolic furnace." I still regularly include a protein shake in my breakfast, but that's partly habit and partly so I don't have to think about meeting and (hopefully) exceeding minimum protein goals.

My ex used to try to make me eat at least 30 grams of protein with my breakfast everyday. I could never do it, seems the most protein I can manage to eat for breakfast is about 20 grams.

Now I just eat according to what makes me feel great and be able to stay under my calorie goal for the day.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That you shouldn't eat after 7 p.m.