Goal Weight

Options
I am 5'6.5" with a medium build. The lowest weight I've ever been is 138lbs and it was a struggle to get there and basically after a few days was back up in the 140s. I struggle to get to 140 (meaning I do intense workouts ie. turbo kick, spinning, etc. 6 days a week on avg and eat between 1200 to 1600 cals on avg) and definitely struggle to maintain it. I typically fluctuate about 5lbs and hang out around 148ish. My goal has been 135lbs for years but have never ever seen that number in my adult life. Am I reaching for an unattainable goal or am I just not trying hard enough? How did you choose your goal weight? I don't want to make excuses for myself, but I don't want to set myself up for failure either!

Replies

• evanryn
    evanryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would talk with a dietician. Based on your build, fitness level and calorie intake, they will be able to tell you what an ideal weight for YOU should be. Not everyone who is 5'5 can be 140. I know mine says 140 but I'm going to shoot for 150, because I haven't weighed that since high school. If you are in shape, and are truly working on making your health a priority, I say be happy with where you are at, because you've come a long way to throw the towel in. Best of luck!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. Everybody's goal weight should be different. My sister and I are the same height (5'3")...her goal weight is 135, mine's 170 (I have about 35 pounds to go, my sister has about 10...booo). Both of us look healthy at those goal weights (I'm much curvier than her).

If your body won't stay at 135 then maybe that's too low for you. Maybe you should be between 140 and 150 (wouldn't that be a relief?). Ask yourself some questions... Are you healthy? Are you comfortable with your body? Do your clothes fit the way you want?

When all is said and done, do the numbers on the scale really matter? Nobody but you and the doctor see them anyway! :)
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your photos, and I think you look great! I'm 5'2ish and 5-10 lbs makes a big difference on me so I decided 125-130 is perfect. I came up with this by looking at pictures when I was about 120 and looked wayyyy to skinny, amost unhealthy. Instead of seeing pics and thinking "oh look how thin I was..." i really had to be objective and realize that it was way to thin... Also, you like you're in pretty good shape, and muscle weighs more than fat, so keep that in mind. And I agree with ethompso0105 , the numbers aren;t the biggest deal, but I also get the sense of accomplishment you get when you acheive that number. I guess the most important thing is to be realistic...

:happy:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself some questions... Are you healthy? Are you comfortable with your body? Do your clothes fit the way you want?

When all is said and done, do the numbers on the scale really matter? Nobody but you and the doctor see them anyway! :)

I agree with this :bigsmile: No point plucking a weight out the air, or even going by your 'ideal' IBM. We are all different. There's not even any point comparing someone of the same height. The number isn't what matters. Your 'ideal' weight should be when you FEEL GOOD and live happily!! :bigsmile:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • danmullen
    Options
    I've basically worked out what my weight should be based on my height to get my BMI down to 25 so it's in the "healthy" range. That might be a bit too simplistic and, to be honest, my goal weight is a weight I haven't been at since I was about 12 years old! Maybe I'll have to rethink my goal weight later if it looks unrealistic, but it's at least something to aim for.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's possible. According the the BMI calculator, you are at a "normal" weight at your height anywhere between 115 and 155. That's a big spread. It's true that 135 is right in the middle, but if you workout a lot, you might have a lot of muscle mass which makes your ideal weight a little higher.

I know for me I used to think that because I am 5'1", I should weight about 110. And, indeed, the BMI calculator says I should weight between 98 and 132. I did diet to 110 twice in my life. The first time I kept it off for about 6 months and then got lazy. The second time I really, really worked at it. I kept it off for over a year and then got pregnant. I was a total nut job all the way through my pregnancy, making sure I didn't gain "too much." I gained 24.5 pounds before delivering a 7 lb. baby. I then worked and sweated and dieted like crazy and could NOT shake the last 10 pounds (while breastfeeding). It demoralized me completely. I threw in the towel, and 3 years later when I got pregnant again, I weighed 165. I have felt like a big fat cow ever since. It has taken me 30 years to get my head together and I am finally on the road down. I've decide that this time, I will aim for 130--near the upper end of the BMI. I figure that way, even if I gain 2 pounds from a holiday or something, I still won't be "overweight."
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Well I'm already in the "healthy" range on my BMI but at the high end. I do feel healthy but as of lately been struggling to look good in my clothes. My highest weight was over 200 pounds (stopped weighing myself at 199 but know I gained more). I know I've come a long way and have maintained my weight (between 140-150) for several years now. Have been trying to lose those "last 10" since then. Like I said, I don't want to make excuses but I don't want to strive for the impossible. Thanks guys for your advice and words of wisdom!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Oh and the last time (6 months ago) that I had my body fat analyzed by a trainer it was 20%. But even then I aimed for 17-19%.