What's the normal sugar intake?

Options
I know MFP's goal for sugar is really low, so what would you recommend? I'm 18 years old, female, weight - 54 kg. height - 165 cm. I'm talking about healthy sugars like fruits. I love fruits, and I eat a lot of them everyday (of course in my calorie goal intake) and sometimes I'm like -40 sugars. It bothers me...

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I know MFP's goal for sugar is really low, so what would you recommend? I'm 18 years old, female, weight - 54 kg. height - 165 cm. I'm talking about healthy sugars like fruits. I love fruits, and I eat a lot of them everyday (of course in my calorie goal intake) and sometimes I'm like -40 sugars. It bothers me...

Just eat all your servings of fruits and vegetables without worrying about their sugar content. I doubt the MFP setting takes into consideration where your sugar comes from.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat 90+ grams of sugar most days, and nearly all of it comes from fruit. I have lost weight just fine and have not developed any blood sugar issues doing it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're generally healthy, then whatever you want, providing it 'meets your macros'.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • starling13
    starling13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about this too because I'm double my sugar intake for today but when I look at it (except for the teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee) almost all of the rest of my sugar intake is from fruit and vegetables. I really love them and I don't know what else I would use to fill me up if I cut them out :/ Is this ok to keep being so over my sugar allowance?
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    There is fruits loaded in the database minus the sugar count. That way you can still get the other macros without loading in the fruit sugars. If you have non fruit sugars, then look those up normally and you can see the natural sugars from the processed sugars. Everyone is different and some like to see the sugar count no matter where it comes from.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As per the article I linked to - there isn't a massive difference between sugar in fruit and added sugar. Nor may there be that much if a difference between those and other carbs labelled 'complex'.

I haven't noticed any difference when I do or don't worry about where my carbs are coming from, so these days I mostly don't.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "normal" standard american diet is probably 160+

Sugar you can get from fruits, easy to set a carb goal and a fiber goal and hit those while mostly ignoring sugar.

Sugar is good to have post-work-out
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys!!!