belly fat question. diet vs. exercise

Options
which factor is most important for "skinny fat" ppl?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Retaining lean muscle. So lift weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

this.
  • believer1988
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

what movements are the best?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights.

Compound movements I'd say were best because they use many major muscle groups instead of just isolating one. Ex: Bench, squat, deadlift, rows...
  • believer1988
    Options
    do those require dumbbells or barbells? sorry, im new to all this :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

what movements are the best?
    Compound movements.

IDEA Fitness member
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Diet got me to skinny fat, lifting is fixing that.
  • law_of_inertia
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Is there anything you can do if you can't afford any weights (and have no room for them), and don't have a gym near you?

I hear of everyone on this forum raving about lifting weights and how amazing it is and I just get frustrated because of the fact that isn't a viable option for me, even though I want to start strength training.
  • believer1988
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Is there anything you can do if you can't afford any weights (and have no room for them), and don't have a gym near you?

I hear of everyone on this forum raving about lifting weights and how amazing it is and I just get frustrated because of the fact that isn't a viable option for me, even though I want to start strength training.

same here!
  • believer1988
    Options
    other places say cardio will help shed fat. myfitnesspal users say lift weights. i get so confused lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Diet helps you lose fat. Strength training helps you keep muscle.

You should probably go find a trainer because you ask this same question about belly fat every few days. We keep telling you to be patience, keep losing weight, start strength training and eventually you will get there. You can't target where you lose fat, so keep working at it.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    There's a really inspiring success thread here with women who lift weights. They went from large bellies to flat ones. So it is possible in spite of one's genetic propensities.

I have no idea where you live OP but I bought weights really cheap at Target. Unfortunately they're not listed on their site. But you can get say 1 or 2 lb weights there cheap and in color.

Yesterday, I was lifting 2 lb weights to a documentary on Netflix (called The Russian Ark, very artsy, very cool, with subtitles) & I did about 35 reps for my arms each way, up, down, back of the arms, behind the head etc. It was a blast, and because this was a light 2 lb weight I had no thoughts that I was going to hurt myself, but I could definitely "feel" it later. It's a good feeling!

I also did LB with the same 2 lb weights and the same documentary.

I have been able to life heavier, but I'm just getting back into it so I'm really starting light, plus, I have to be careful since I like watching documentaries while doing this.

The weights at Target were about $5 or less per each one, so not too expensive, and under 10 lbs they are in pretty colors and cute.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Look at TRX suspension training. Affordable and doesn't take up room in the house.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ProudMomNY
    Options
    I don't see why you can't weigh a gallon of milk and adjust the contents accordingly. Just put it on a food scale or hold it while you get on a scale. It has handles, just rinse it out and put water in the jug instead. you can also lift cans of some food product. You can also stand with your back to a chair seat. place your hands on the seat and lower your body down as if sitting then stand back up again. If you're disabled any movement with any kind of weight will register in your body. You can sit in a chair with a jug in your hand and just lift and lower your arm then do the other side. Lay in bed and raise and lower your leg, holding it up off the bed for a count of 10 then lowering it, try this 10 times on each side. Correct me if I'm wrong but who needs weights when lifting your own leg or body is weight you're lifting. At least until you get to where that's just too easy then try something heavier. Heck Rocky lifted tires haha. I have found small hand weights at the local salvation army many times. My problem is just getting motivated now. Hopefully I'll get my mojo back by reading the community forums this year.
  • careydesignstudio
    careydesignstudio Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    TRX suspension straps are awesome! I travel a lot so don't always have access to a gym. The TRX system is very portable), think belt straps and can be hooked up over the hotel room door. Furthermore, all of the exercises are body-weight controlled so all you have to do is adjust the angle and the routine is easier/harder.

Seriously, check them out.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't weigh a gallon of milk and adjust the contents accordingly. Just put it on a food scale or hold it while you get on a scale. It has handles, just rinse it out and put water in the jug instead. you can also lift cans of some food product.
    my very fit sister and I were visiting my mom, so she didn't have her gym or her equipment...I walked in to the living room to find her lifting cans of paint! so...yeah.
  • careydesignstudio
    careydesignstudio Posts: 16 Member
    Options

TRX suspension straps are awesome! I travel a lot so don't always have access to a gym. The TRX system is very portable), think belt straps and can be hooked up over the hotel room door. Furthermore, all of the exercises are body-weight controlled so all you have to do is adjust the angle and the routine is easier/harder.

Seriously, check them out.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Both are important. You need both for success but if you do not have a proper diet all your hard work with exercise will be a waste.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and eating at maintenance.