If i eat 1400 calories and burn 800 at the gym..

Options
I will burn 300 by using youtube tutorials one day and burning 800 at the gym 5 days How much will i lose a month?

I am 10 stone and 5ft4 and a half female

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that you are only netting 600 calories a day?

Well I will tell you that you are playing fast and loose with your metabolism, if you keep this up (i.e. on a daily basis) it will not be beneficial in the long run. Your net calorie intake should at least be 1200 including eating exercise calories.

Any results you get will not be long term. A couple months ago I was netting under 600 calories daily for a couple of weeks (lots of juicing, and exercising twice a day burning at least 800-1200 calories) I lost six pounds in one week ,before I started to get concerned. I kept going and was netting this low for at least two weeks. Lost a ton of weight and then I just hit a wall. I binged on junk food so hard and I could not control myself. By the time I pulled the reins in ( 8 weeks later) I gained at least 20 pounds. Any results you get will get will only be temporary and is just not worth it. Be smart.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    1 lb of fat is about 3500 calories. You need to know your TDEE (totally energy out) which based on how much your body needs to just keep alive (Called BMR) and then all other calories you burn though moving.

What I would suggest is you use MFP , set a deficit of up to 2lb a week (-1000 calories a day) book all of your food and all of your exercise and let MFP calculate your calories for you. try and look at it as a lifestyle change as well. for me diets don't work because when I stop I get fat again :-)

Good luck
  • secretnerd123
    Options
    So are you saying that you are only netting 600 calories a day?

Well I will tell you that you are playing fast and loose with your metabolism, if you keep this up (i.e. on a daily basis) it will not be beneficial in the long run. Your net calorie intake should at least be 1200 including eating exercise calories.

Any results you get will not be long term. A couple months ago I was netting under 600 calories daily for a couple of weeks (lots of juicing, and exercising twice a day burning at least 800-1200 calories) I lost six pounds in one week ,before I started to get concerned. I kept going and was netting this low for at least two weeks. Lost a ton of weight and then I just hit a wall. I binged on junk food so hard and I could not control myself. By the time I pulled the reins in ( 8 weeks later) I gained at least 20 pounds. Any results you get will get will only be temporary and is just not worth it. Be smart.

So how many calories should i be eating and burning to lose 2 pounds a week? Please help me. I feel like diets dont work for me but i need to lose 2 stone by June 20th
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hey, you sound familiar.

You are not going to get the answers you want to hear, no matter how many times you try.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to lose 2 stone by June? Why not December?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1400 calories a day and burn 800, you'll probably lose muscle as well and could cause yourself some problems.
    Calories you burn take away from what your body needs.
    Having net calories of just 600 is anorexic territory I expect. The exercise takes away from the food you eat - so you'd be left with the equivalent of maybe one and a half decent bowls of cereal to fuel your body for everything else in the rest of the day.
    If you had a desk job and didn't really do much else, one calculator shows you burning around 1800 calories BEFORE you do anything. Add in 800 calories of exercise and we're on 2600 being burnt - and that presumes you're not doing anything else in the day.

That leaves a 1200 deficit,
    Now, if you had loads to lose, you would probably be ok with that - but 10 stone doesn't seem particularly overweight for a woman of your size, so it's best to take it slower - that way you will burn more fat and keep muscle, giving the 'toned' look that people generally want rather than the 'skinny fat' that can come from crash dieting.

I suspect you'd find yourself lacking in energy and lethargic, so you'd find it hard to to complete your workouts at the gym.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds great if you want to lose a lot of weight in a short time and gain it all back in 6 months after.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I will burn 300 by using youtube tutorials one day and burning 800 at the gym 5 days How much will i lose a month?

I am 10 stone and 5ft4 and a half female

You're going to be hungry as hell, that's what...

It's not all about the number on the scale, y'know? See how you feel, if you're doing good then great. If you're hungry, then eat. And more importantly: love the body you have and don't put it through something that makes you feel like crap. Keep track, but don't obsess over the numbers.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    You've got about 24 weeks and want to lose 28lb.
    So that's 1.16lb per week on average.
    As a pound of fat is around 3500 calories, you need to lose about 4083caloires a week on average.
    Lets say your TDEE (total you burn in a day) is around 2000, though I suspect it may be even higher at your age.
    You would want to be eating about 1400 calories a day BEFORE exercise.
    Then, if you did 300 calories of exercise, you would eat an EXTRA 300 calories.
    800 calories of exercise and you eat that 800 ONTOP of the 1400 you already eat.

Ok, if you fancy giving yourself a bit of room, maybe only eat back 75% of calories, then you account for the off days where you eat a bit more.

Oh and if you're just starting, you'll probably lose a few lb initially.

As ever, my usual advice is to look to strength training rather than cardio first.
    Eat plenty of protein with or without strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Why not just enter your stats into MFP, input your goals, and let MFP do the math for you...you do realize that MFP gives you a calorie goal for weight loss right...your MFP goal isn't maintenance...it is a deficit. You simply net to that calorie goal (you eat back exercise calories)...so you use your diet for weight loss. Exercise has nothing to do with it...exercise is for fitness.

Also, what exactly are you thinking you're going to do to burn 800 calories per day at the gym? That's really not a sustainable way to exercise in the least and completely unnecessary. I think you need to address some actual fitness goals that go beyond just burning calories...burning calories is a nice bi-product of fitness, but it is hardly the point of your fitness.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What's a half female? What's the other half?
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I noted that - but thought it'd be rude to ask :P.

Might change TDEE, of course :).
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I'll PM you some links to vids that show you some of the different options possible.
  • cyclistRob
    cyclistRob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The half Female should read 5ft 4 1/2, Female meaning her Height. But it does look like Half Female until you look closely.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The half Female should read 5ft 4 1/2, Female meaning her Height. But it does look like Half Female until you look closely.

Home-Alone-Blink.gif?1323790787
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hey, you sound familiar.

You are not going to get the answers you want to hear, no matter how many times you try.

rockford_yellow_pages.jpg

Why no cat gifs? Has everyone made a NYR to give up posting gifs?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP you're probably close in size to me, i eat approx 1600-1800 calories a day. i'm doing the TDEE method so my 5 day a week workouts are already taken into account and i've subtracted 1000 calories from that in order to lose approx 2 pounds a week.

the assumption is that my workouts will burn 300 calories but my workouts very often burn more than that. if you are accurately logging (weighing and measuring your food) AND you absolutely positive sure that you are burning that many calories when you work out (are you wearing an HRM?) then you can increase your calories a bit and still average 2 pound loss. maybe even up to 1900 calories a day