confused!! ( new n not very good at this)

Options
ok ive eaten 1134 calories today... (im on a 1200 cals) yet it says I have 942 left...I get that this is because of the amount of exercise ive done...but am I ment to eat that back or what?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are meant to eat those back. MFP has already worked out your calorie deficit for you. Eat back your exercise calories, your body will thank you for it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes, however 900 calories seems like a lot, so make sure you're not overestimating your exercise calories (although 1200 net is low for a man anyway).
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat more when you work out. And plus I think you should eat more in general 1200 cals in not enoug. I saw in one of your post your around 13 stone. I don't know how tall are you, but you BMI is higher than for just 1200 cals and you should never eat bellow you BMI. You can calculate it here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, however 900 calories seems like a lot, so make sure you're not overestimating your exercise calories (although 1200 net is low for a man anyway).

She's female. :)
  • miz4wagon
    Options
    thanks ladies....and yes im female!!
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back unless I'm going to go over anyway. 1200 is low for anyone, so bump it up a bit. I'm at 1400 right now. I get satisfied and don't starve. I was eating at 1200 last year and got really sick. REALLY sick with it. So it may work for some, but not me. Eat your cals back if you're hungry or if you did vigorous workouts. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Doh sorry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ok ive eaten 1134 calories today... (im on a 1200 cals) yet it says I have 942 left...I get that this is because of the amount of exercise ive done...but am I ment to eat that back or what?

Yes....but what exactly did you do to burn 942 calories? If you're using a database, including MFP for that burn...I can pretty much guarantee you that it's inflated. It is really hard to burn much more than 10 calories per minute....and 10 calories per minute is generally working pretty damned hard. It is extremely difficult to sustain an aerobic activity that would burn more for any substantial length of time. You may burn slightly more than that if you're really overweight, but you need to be conservative in your calorie burns because, yes...you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP.
  • miz4wagon
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back unless I'm going to go over anyway. 1200 is low for anyone, so bump it up a bit. I'm at 1400 right now. I get satisfied and don't starve. I was eating at 1200 last year and got really sick. REALLY sick with it. So it may work for some, but not me. Eat your cals back if you're hungry or if you did vigorous workouts. Good luck!

Thanks, I have been eating the 1200 n not eating my exercise cals back the past few days haven't been hungry but I will try and eat a little back if its going to help :)
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can I just say yomething to you as well. You also need more than 1400cals, you need at least 1700 ;)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How did you burn 900 cals?
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should "eat exercise calories back".

In the long run, an excessive deficit will work against your weight loss goals.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I only eat back about half of my calories. Make sure they are nutrient dense not junk. Be careful what you believe here. For every opinion on any topic there will be several opposite opinions. You can also use the search function at the top of the page to get some of your questions answered. Good luck on your journey.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • miz4wagon
    Options
    just like I log every food I log everything that's ive done that's in the database as exercise....altho im not stupid enough to believe that its exact!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    just like I log every food I log everything that's ive done that's in the database as exercise....altho im not stupid enough to believe that its exact!

But what kind of exercise and how long to get 900 cal? I ask because that's a big workout (for most people). I would have to run about 9 miles to burn that amount. Don't count your everyday activities as exercise, like cleaning etc. Only count extra intentional exercise. Maybe you exercise ALOT and 900 is true, but you aren't saying what you did to burn that much.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    Can I just say yomething to you as well. You also need more than 1400cals, you need at least 1700 ;)

I was eating at 1700 midway through last year, and I hit the dreaded plateau and quit. I'm starting out at 1400 because I am 225lbs and 5'1 frame plus I can't do the vigorous exercises like everyone else(I have a disability), so I make up for that with the lower cal intake and work my way up from here. :)