I hate Winter

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Ok rant time. I hate this! I love walking. I can't. Everything's covered in ice and heck I don't even dare going to the gym in this mess. I guess I should just expect to pretty much maintain the next couple months at this point... (plus we're having work done in the bathroom this week so taking a shower is going to be impossible for 3 days).

/rant off

Replies

• AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My sympathy! Here in the Northwest we're having a drier than normal year, but there's still just enough ice to make outdoor exercise treacherous. Maybe for the next few days, just concentrate on things like yoga or pilates and you can get back to your cardio when it's safe (and when you can shower!). I'm sure it all won't fall apart in 3 days, if you're careful about what you eat.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah the eating part has been harder lately too. At least I can still lift weights at home...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I would much rather be walking outdoors as well. We have beautiful trails in the area, but they're currently completely covered in snow. I have a gym at my apartment complex, so I have the advantage of being able to walk there, but I find it quite dull. I'd rather be among ~nature~.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had to break out my Tae Bo and JM dvds... I still walk in the bitter cold, just bundled up. But I don't mess with ice. I saw someone jogging last night and I thought how crazy it seemed.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    same here :sad: I'm stuck indoors today and tomorrow too apparently -50 wind chills (No thanks!).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I love winter, especially since we have had a good amount of snow and cold temperatures this year. That means I can cross country ski, snowshoe, and skate outside. Yes, I miss cycling. And when the sidewalks are not cleaned, I miss walking, but there is so many other things I can do in the winter but not in the summer that staying active is not a problem.

As to maintaining, weight loss is from diet, fitness is from exercise.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I just loveeee the winter! I am absolutely no summer person, way too hot! I love 'plowing' through the snow, I love the scenery, I love the moonlight twinkling in the snow like zillions of glitters, I love the aurora boralis like colored mist dancing above the stars. Good thing I live in the Arctics :smile:
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I hate hate hate the cold! The gym is great, but it's nothing compared to cycling or just a nice walk outside!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It doesn't seem to have dropped below 0*C here once yet, which I'm quite disappointed about. I would happily not have all the wind and rain we are having and have a little ice instead. Though, I don't drive, and do not currently have much need to go any further than the 10 minute walk to the gym.
  • cardpaula
    Options
    I've been doing indoor walks with Leslie Sansone videos. She's so upbeat it puts me in a positive mood!
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary bike that I use on days like this....but I am soooooo a summer and beach person!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ok rant time. I hate this! I love walking. I can't. Everything's covered in ice and heck I don't even dare going to the gym in this mess. I guess I should just expect to pretty much maintain the next couple months at this point... (plus we're having work done in the bathroom this week so taking a shower is going to be impossible for 3 days).

/rant off

Curious as to why would you not go to the gym? When the weather is nasty, that seems the best time to go. Unless of course, the gym is crowded with newbies and other winter workout folk. But even then, that would not stop me from getting the workout in.

I live in SoCal and moved here to get away from the winter blues, and it has worked for me so far, but I was just back home and even though the weather was crap, I still made an effort to get to the gym.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Yesterday I went out for a brief walk and promptly hit the deck--got the first skinned knee I've had in decades. I still have to say that it's better than 100 degrees+ with high humidity, IMHO! :flowerforyou:
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    Try YouTube to find tapes you might enjoy working out with to stay active. Also, I like walking with Leslie Sansone DVDs and I have Zumba DVDs which I plan to start soon. I prefer walking outside but when it's too cold my body can't take it. Between the gym, YouTube, and DVDs I will get it in.

Good luck.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I just loveeee the winter! I am absolutely no summer person, way too hot! I love 'plowing' through the snow, I love the scenery, I love the moonlight twinkling in the snow like zillions of glitters
    +1

I love winter when it's snowy, cold and windy. I don't like it when it's slushy. I hate it when it's slippery.

Was in Montreal two days ago, snow everywhere and very cold, was happy.
    Am in New Jersey now, not much snow or cold but ice everywhere, am not happy.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I just loveeee the winter! I am absolutely no summer person, way too hot! I love 'plowing' through the snow, I love the scenery, I love the moonlight twinkling in the snow like zillions of glitters
    +1

I love winter when it's snowy, cold and windy. I don't like it when it's slushy. I hate it when it's slippery.

Was in Montreal two days ago, snow everywhere and very cold, was happy.
    Am in New Jersey now, not much snow or cold but ice everywhere, am not happy.

Yeah I'm in NJ, although we do have 10 inches of snow under the ice, lol.

And that's why I'm not going to the gym too... Driving on ice is not my thing, lol. But tomorrow I have to go out anyway to drop the kids off at school so I'll go.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I also live where everything is covered in ice and snow and miserably cold. While I agree that it's more of a challenge to get out and walk in the winter, it is not impossible.....get a pair of Yaktrax traction cleats for your boots (or shoes). I also have to dress in layers so I can adjust as I heat up or cool down. I have yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm, but years ago I knit a pair of extra thick wool mittens that work well in this sub-zero weather we're having. Anyway, I appreciate a good rant and the way it sometimes even breaks through the barrier that is keeping one stuck! :wink:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Find ways to work out at home. Do bodyweight exercises.

Problem solved.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Find ways to work out at home. Do bodyweight exercises.

Problem solved.

Yeah it's what I do, but I hate it. The only exercise I like is walking. Hence my rant.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm a runner/hiker and winter is killing me. I also have asthma so I couldn't run outside even if I wanted to since cold dry air is the worst for me. I also HATE doing workout videos. Something about working out inside my house in a little 6x6 box just pisses me off. I would go to the gym but I live in a small town and even the small, crappy gym with no machines is $50/month and I just can't afford it. I either buckle down and do p90x through the winter and hate it, or I resign myself to being fat from october-march.