Breads White vs Wheat vs Whole Wheat vs Multi Grain

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I still each white baguettes and enjoy regular pasta. I'm all about a balanced diet, but if I'm hitting my fiber goals then there is nothing to worry about. In the end, this is just another one of those things that people spend endless hours worrying about that just doesn't matter.

Hit your calorie, protein, fat and fiber goals, and make sure to exercise.

This.

ETA: I go for taste. There's a local bakery I like to buy at that makes theirs with fresh ground whole wheat, honey, yeast and water. Best. Bread. Ever. It's a bit expensive and I have to freeze half of it.
  • ProudMomNY
    Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that the report on the differences in bread has helped someone here. That's really all it was about. I know when I did the report I was amazed to find that wheat bread, mulit grain and whole grain breads base were usually white flour. Who knew! It's an important fact for people who may or may not have medical conditions to know, but WHOLE Wheat wasn't white flour based.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I still each white baguettes and enjoy regular pasta. I'm all about a balanced diet, but if I'm hitting my fiber goals then there is nothing to worry about. In the end, this is just another one of those things that people spend endless hours worrying about that just doesn't matter.

For you, it does not matter. Great!

Is this the part where you tell us that we're all special and different and/or point to people who are outside of the norm as reasons that basic principles shouldn't be promoted?

:flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Is this the part where you tell us that we're all special and different and/or point to people who are outside of the norm as reasons that basic principles shouldn't be promoted?
    Sorry, what?
    and, um...excuse me?

I thought it was a rather straightforward comment. :indifferent:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Sorry, what?
    and, um...excuse me?

I suppose it was, yes. And silly.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Sorry, what?
    and, um...excuse me?

I suppose it was, yes. And silly.

To you it was silly. Great!
  • emmasage2u
    emmasage2u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Proud Mom NY. I am not diabetic like you are, but I don't want to be either, so I am always looking for low glycemic ingredients. Not to say I never eat baguettes or white rice, but I try to eat low glycemic whenever possible. I like Dreamfields, too.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that the report on the differences in bread has helped someone here. That's really all it was about. I know when I did the report I was amazed to find that wheat bread, mulit grain and whole grain breads base were usually white flour. Who knew! It's an important fact for people who may or may not have medical conditions to know, but WHOLE Wheat wasn't white flour based.

Whatever you do don't listen to the fit people. We're all clueless when it comes to lifestyle change.

And no, I'm not saying experience = knowledge, but at some point you would think people would at least take note.

Whole grains are a modern thing. White bread and white rice are far more common and have been for a very long time and yet, the incidence of diabetes skyrocketed over the last few decades. You would think that this calories in vs. calories out concept would get more traction than it does . . .

But meh. Enjoy chasing windmills.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks Proud Mom NY. I am not diabetic like you are, but I don't want to be either, so I am always looking for low glycemic ingredients. Not to say I never eat baguettes or white rice, but I try to eat low glycemic whenever possible. I like Dreamfields, too.
    If you're watching how foods affect your glucose levels, do look for the added sugars. It won't matter if it's 100%whole grain if it has HFCS or corn syrup, or sugar. The country kitchen breads do, alas.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's a bit meaningless to talk about "white" vs "whole wheat" bread - there are million ways to make either - there is a world of textural and taste difference between white Wonder Bread and an equally white baguette. Same for browner breads - a world of difference between a Russian rye and pumpernickel vs a loaf of "whole wheat" sandwich bread from the chain store bakery.

Personally, I love baguettes and will never ever give them up. I also love heavy, dark-as-night breads, and won't give those up, either. I just make sure they fit inside my calorie and macro goals.

One thing is for certain - white bread didn't cause the obesity pandemic, that much is certain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Whatever you do don't listen to the fit people. We're all clueless when it comes to lifestyle change.

And no, I'm not saying experience = knowledge, but at some point you would think people would at least take note.

Whole grains are a modern thing. White bread and white rice are far more common and have been for a very long time and yet, the incidence of diabetes skyrocketed over the last few decades. You would think that this calories in vs. calories out concept would get more traction than it does . . .

Whole grains are NOT a modern thing. It's a very very very very old thing. They have become popular again. "white breads" particularly white sandwich breads are the new thing.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My favourite link:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.
    I prefer the taste of white bread and pasta, so eat white versions.
    If I preferred the whole grain versions, I would eat those.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's a bit meaningless to talk about "white" vs "whole wheat" bread - there are million ways to make either - there is a world of textural and taste difference between white Wonder Bread and an equally white baguette. Same for browner breads - a world of difference between a Russian rye and pumpernickel vs a loaf of "whole wheat" sandwich bread from the chain store bakery.

Personally, I love baguettes and will never ever give them up. I also love heavy, dark-as-night breads, and won't give those up, either. I just make sure they fit inside my calorie and macro goals.
    There's something quite yummy about an old fashioned Irish brown bread. Dear God.
    And yes, great point about there being a big difference between a nice rye versus "whole wheat" sandwich breads.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    There's something quite yummy about an old fashioned Irish brown bread. Dear God.

Yep, that's another great one.

(Good) Breads are awesome! :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

belaboring this point....

I'll join you in the belabouring...for some reason this message has a very difficult time sinking in...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yep, that's another great one.

(Good) Breads are awesome! :drinker:
    Good breads are FABULOUS!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Whole grains are NOT a modern thing. It's a very very very very old thing. They have become popular again. "white breads" particularly white sandwich breads are the new thing.

Some heads are harder than others. Keep up the fight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

A waste as always
    What? Trying to convince people is a waste?
    What are you trying to convince them of?
    Are you trying to convince me? I am fit. And at maintenance.
    And have been for a very long time.
    You won't be convincing me to change my eating and exercise approach. I know it works for me.

Or are you suggesting eating 100% whole grains versus bleached, enriched bread-like-stuff is a waste? As I said initially:GREAT! Do what works for you.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

A waste as always

Perhaps...it's your delivery?

You are one of about 5 people I've come across on here with a severe case of special snowflake syndrome.

I see no evidence of your claims and I never have. But I also saw a long time ago that conversing with you is a waste of my time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

A waste as always

Perhaps...it's your delivery?

You are one of about 5 people I've come across on here with a severe case of special snowflake syndrome.

I see no evidence of your claims and I never have. But I also saw a long time ago that conversing with you is a waste of my time.
    What claims? I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat whole foods. I try to eat healthy foods, beyond simply focusing on "macros". What's the claim? What claims have I made other than: I eat food that works for me.
    PS: Please consider putting me on ignore. It would be best for you, I suspect.