Is it really bad to eat a lot of bread?

Options
I know bread isn't exactly the best thing to eat but i actually really love it. I love sandwiches and burgers, i try to have ham, salad or tuna in my sandwiches but i wonder if by eating 4 pieces of bread a day is doing anything bad?

It's probably the hardest thing to cut from what i eat because of how much i like to eat it. Weird i know haha

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unless you're intolerant to gluten and you meet your other macros, enjoy your bread! I typically don't because otherwise I don't hit my protein goal.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Just make it fit into your day, I love bread too so I usually make room for it.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have removed bread and grains from my diet. I'm losing weight, feeling better and don't miss it at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    bread is not in and of itself evil...I'd personally opt for a whole grain bread over white bread but that's just me...and ideally a nice sourdough or sourdough rye is my preference. Bread isn't exactly the most nutrient dense food in the world and you shouldn't be eating so much as to be missing on your protein and fat goals...but having a sammich isn't a big deal so long as you'e hitting on your nutrition and calories.

I don't eat a ton of bread...I eat sammiches a couple of times per week and like having a slice of sourdough with my soups...but really, a good bread is so calorie dense relative to the nutrition that you get out of it that I just don't eat it like I used to.
  • SMC05
    SMC05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my bread! Whole grains only...I make it work.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    It's hard sometimes because i don't exactly cook so lunches are either left over dinner or sandwiches. Maybe i can put things on my bread that are high in good things, any thing like that? is tuna considered a good thing to have?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. It's all about logging it and fitting your bread into your macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's hard sometimes because i don't exactly cook so lunches are either left over dinner or sandwiches. Maybe i can put things on my bread that are high in good things, any thing like that? is tuna considered a good thing to have?

Try not to look at foods as "good" or "bad"...food is food...it is fuel...there are more nutrient dense and less nutrient dense options...but nothing is inherently "evil".

Tuna is an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids and lean protein.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat bread pretty much everyday. I like the flourless, sprouted types. They are drier and a little bit more like toast. I usually only just have 2 slices a day. I also try to get the extra fiber types of bread if possible (so it's a little "healthier").

4 slices is probably fine; a loaf a day is probably not. If it doesn't put you over on your carbs, then hey, why not eat it?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider: instead of a sandwich for lunch, you can always put your tuna, turkey, whatever on a huge bowl of spinach. That requires 0 effort. That way, you are cutting down on the carbs and increase fiber and nutrients from the spinach.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I have removed bread and grains from my diet. I'm losing weight, feeling better and don't miss it at all.

I have not removed bread or grains from my diet. I am losing weight, feel amazing, and still get to enjoy my bread!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I had half a loaf of bread (white bread) yesterday and at least two slices most days. Not dead yet.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. It's all about logging it and fitting your bread into your macros.

This. Nothing wrong with bread unless you're eating a whole loaf at a time or something :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I have not removed bread or grains from my diet. I am losing weight, feel amazing, and still get to enjoy my bread!

Yep to this!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I eat bread every day, see ticker below. :bigsmile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know bread isn't exactly the best thing to eat but i actually really love it.

I love and eat bread, too. I can't have too much, though, because it can blow up my macros.

But inside my macros...yum yum yum!
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love bread, toast with PB&J, sandwiches with cucumber and tomato! I have lost a total of 70lbs and the only time I was miserable was when a weight loss company told me I couldn't eat bread. I dropped them and dropped 30lbs eating bread! So I say enjoy your bread if it fits in your day!
  • KatieM46
    KatieM46 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread! I've lost weight. Instead of going for thick sliced bread I swapped it out for 100 calorie thin sliced multigrain bread. It's great and you don't feel as guilty!