Breads White vs Wheat vs Whole Wheat vs Multi Grain

Options
13»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    100% whole wheat bread is human food. White bread is a delicious processed treat with little nutrional value beyond calories. Both like all things are best eaten in moderation.
  • ProudMomNY
    Options
    OK ENOUGH OF THE BICKERING! My gosh I was trying to do something nice and share info and if this article wasn't of use to you then don't bother posting to it. Don't bother belittling it or anyone else here. I will refrain from posting in here again. I was trying to be nice and share and all it's done is make me feel bad. I don't need this and I will NOT let these petty comments with each other affect my weight loss goals. If you've had success in your weight loss journey then bless you, if you haven't then I pray you find your mojo like I'm trying to do too. Happy New Year to all of you. I'm out of here.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that the report on the differences in bread has helped someone here. That's really all it was about. I know when I did the report I was amazed to find that wheat bread, mulit grain and whole grain breads base were usually white flour. Who knew! It's an important fact for people who may or may not have medical conditions to know, but WHOLE Wheat wasn't white flour based.

Whatever you do don't listen to the fit people. We're all clueless when it comes to lifestyle change.

And no, I'm not saying experience = knowledge, but at some point you would think people would at least take note.

Whole grains are a modern thing. White bread and white rice are far more common and have been for a very long time and yet, the incidence of diabetes skyrocketed over the last few decades. You would think that this calories in vs. calories out concept would get more traction than it does . . .

But meh. Enjoy chasing windmills.
    Whole grains are NOT a modern thing. It's a very very very very old thing. They have become popular again. "white breads" particularly white sandwich breads are the new thing.

A waste as always
    What? Trying to convince people is a waste?
    What are you trying to convince them of?
    Are you trying to convince me? I am fit. And at maintenance.
    And have been for a very long time.

Perhaps...it's your delivery?

You are one of about 5 people I've come across on here with a severe case of special snowflake syndrome.

I see no evidence of your claims and I never have. But I also saw a long time ago that conversing with you is a waste of my time.
    What claims? I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat whole foods. I try to eat healthy foods, beyond simply focusing on "macros". What's the claim? What claims have I made other than: I eat food that works for me.
    PS: Please consider putting me on ignore. It would be best for you, I suspect.

I honestly just feel sorry for you. We can stop the back and forth.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My gosh I was trying to do something nice and share info...
    The problem is you didn't just "share info", you made a specific recommendation on what people should eat - a recommendation many many very fit people completely disagree with.

And there's nothing wrong with you doing that - but surely you've been around the internet long enough to realize that when you post a contentions recommendation, there will be pushback. If not buckets o' blood. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meh. I took it like telling you that nutrition-wise, you get more for your calories with whole wheat vs white. It doesn't mean you have to eat that. You do what you want, lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that the report on the differences in bread has helped someone here. That's really all it was about. I know when I did the report I was amazed to find that wheat bread, mulit grain and whole grain breads base were usually white flour. Who knew! It's an important fact for people who may or may not have medical conditions to know, but WHOLE Wheat wasn't white flour based.

Whatever you do don't listen to the fit people. We're all clueless when it comes to lifestyle change.

And no, I'm not saying experience = knowledge, but at some point you would think people would at least take note.

Whole grains are a modern thing. White bread and white rice are far more common and have been for a very long time and yet, the incidence of diabetes skyrocketed over the last few decades. You would think that this calories in vs. calories out concept would get more traction than it does . . .

But meh. Enjoy chasing windmills.
    Whole grains are NOT a modern thing. It's a very very very very old thing. They have become popular again. "white breads" particularly white sandwich breads are the new thing.

A waste as always
    What? Trying to convince people is a waste?
    What are you trying to convince them of?
    Are you trying to convince me? I am fit. And at maintenance.
    And have been for a very long time.

Perhaps...it's your delivery?

You are one of about 5 people I've come across on here with a severe case of special snowflake syndrome.

I see no evidence of your claims and I never have. But I also saw a long time ago that conversing with you is a waste of my time.
    What claims? I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat whole foods. I try to eat healthy foods, beyond simply focusing on "macros". What's the claim? What claims have I made other than: I eat food that works for me.
    PS: Please consider putting me on ignore. It would be best for you, I suspect.

I honestly just feel sorry for you. We can stop the back and forth.
    bwahahahahha. ummm. please, keep your sympathy. :laugh:
    And best of luck on your journey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OK ENOUGH OF THE BICKERING! My gosh I was trying to do something nice and share info and if this article wasn't of use to you then don't bother posting to it. Don't bother belittling it or anyone else here. I will refrain from posting in here again. I was trying to be nice and share and all it's done is make me feel bad. I don't need this and I will NOT let these petty comments with each other affect my weight loss goals. If you've had success in your weight loss journey then bless you, if you haven't then I pray you find your mojo like I'm trying to do too. Happy New Year to all of you. I'm out of here.
    Don't stop posting. Just know that not everyone will agree. They never do.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • 8HeatherMarie8
    8HeatherMarie8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This was great! I believe the same info... No-one ever believes me about the whole wheat versus multi, or plain wheat, or white.... Same with white rice. The more whole our food, the better we are feeding every part of our bodies =)
    Personally, I LOVE sprouted wheat breads with butter! YUM! But I also like sourdough or rye every once in a while
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    This was great! I believe the same info... No-one ever believes me about the whole wheat versus multi, or plain wheat, or white.... Same with white rice. The more whole our food, the better we are feeding every part of our bodies =)
    Personally, I LOVE sprouted wheat breads with butter! YUM! But I also like sourdough or rye every once in a while
    Why do you believe that?
    From the link I posted above, which cites a variety of scientific studies, I believe that it will help Obese and unhealthy people a bit, but will not help those already reasonably healthy.
    I believe this because people have tested it out in studies which monitor multiple participants in circumstances that are to some degree controlled.
    This is about as good evidence as we get in this area.
  • 8HeatherMarie8
    Options
    Why do you believe that?
    From the link I posted above, which cites a variety of scientific studies, I believe that it will help Obese and unhealthy people a bit, but will not help those already reasonably healthy.
    I believe this because people have tested it out in studies which monitor multiple participants in circumstances that are to some degree controlled.
    This is about as good evidence as we get in this area.

Isn't health cyclical though? If you start at great health, "bad" choices won't effect you as much. But many bad choices will. As for unhealthy people it's an upward spiral. When we look at those studies in this context it is easy to understand those conclusions. However, I would opt for the whole nutrient over empty calories most days, and not just because of calories either. Just a standard of health I guess...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Same with white rice. The more whole our food, the better we are feeding every part of our bodies =)

Do you actually know the difference between white and brown rice as it relates to our bodies?

Brown rice has more fiber. That's it. The few extra nutrients in brown rice compared to white rice are locked inside the fiber portion. These nutrients are not bioreadily available, meaning our bodies cannot use them because we are unable to digest the fiber portion that contains them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From what I have generally read and so on, your body will work optimumly with certain nutrients and so on.
    Generally these DON'T have to be every day.
    If you choose items without these nutrients, but already have enough, then you are fine.
    If you don't have enough already, then you may impair some working a bit.
    In some cases you can have 'too much', but for most things you've got to go really-silly to do that.

So, yes if you enjoy eating those foods, go for it.
    But, if you're already sorted for micro-nutrients, there's no reason I cab see to have white - it's not going to detract from anything.
    I'd see it like filling a glass that's already full. If you've got a half litre glass and a litre of drink, if you pour the whole litre in, your glass will still be full, but you won't have any more than half a litre in your glass.
  • 8HeatherMarie8
    Options
    Same with white rice. The more whole our food, the better we are feeding every part of our bodies =)

Do you actually know the difference between white and brown rice as it relates to our bodies?

Brown rice has more fiber. That's it. The few extra nutrients in brown rice compared to white rice are locked inside the fiber portion. These nutrients are not bioreadily available, meaning our bodies cannot use them because we are unable to digest the fiber portion that contains them.

I have not learned what you have learned... No biggie. :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What you want to buy is...bread you like and enjoy eating. Yes, whole grains are somewhat better for you, and no, you probably don't want HFCS and such, but if you don't like it....don't eat it.