Do you get sick less often?

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
I am from Canada. Thus for more than half of the year we freeze our *kitten* off in the cold winters. In light of H1N1 going around, along with a huge variety of other different cold and flu's, I have come to realize that I have not got sick since I began my weight loss journey in 2011.

Not a single cold, or a single flu. Though, I have had the occasional upset stomach that prevents me from going to work from time to time, that is basically it. I notice that when I feel a cold coming on (sneezing, slight runny nose) I immediately go work out and SWEAT. Cold/Flu avoided.

Has anyone else noticed this? I figured pharma will not promote this as a cold remedy/prevention (as there is such a push for injections and meds to cure/prevent the flu/cold) I want to know if I am not the only one who has noticed this!

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I believe there are studies showing that moderate exercise can help boost the immune system when fighting an infection. Too lazy right now to go look for studies. If I remember correctly though, the key was MODERATE exercise, athlete level exercise during an infection was shown to decrease immune efficiency, so don't go kill yourself in the gym if you're not feeling well, but a 30 minute walk would probably do some good.
  • KatieM46
    KatieM46 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually have too. I started last march and I didn't get sick or feel bad at All during summer. I stopped dieting as much when I started college again and I gained a couple pounds back and got sick! Idk if it's a coincidence
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes - Basically in the winter time, the bulk of my exercise is doing Leslie Sansone with weights. As I recall, last winter I was also doing 5:2 IF...this winter I am not. I have no idea if it makes a difference (the IF) but either way...I am wishing promotion of health and fitness would be used more during the hard winter months instead of medications.
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I believe there are studies showing that moderate exercise can help boost the immune system when fighting an infection. Too lazy right now to go look for studies. If I remember correctly though, the key was MODERATE exercise, athlete level exercise during an infection was shown to decrease immune efficiency, so don't go kill yourself in the gym if you're not feeling well, but a 30 minute walk would probably do some good.

I had always heard the same thing as well. Personally, I get sick much less than most of my colleagues and family members. The yearly "super-cold" or flu is now bi-annually at best. I used to know someone that said water and exercise was all she needed to keep from getting sick. Of course she was exaggerating, but it was funny to always hear her say that among people who didn't exercise at all.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I've been working out more routinely and adding different kinds of exercise (more strength, flexibility etc)...haven't gotten sick once this year *knock on wood*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So far a bit but it could mean a lot of things - it's the second year my kids have been at school, so I'm probably more resistant to all the bugs they bring home too.