Best HR monitor

Options
I usually use my apps on my phone and ipod (Nike +) while running and working out. However, I want something alittle more accurate to see how many calories I'm actually burning. I mostly run, but in the winter I go to the gym. What would you suggest?
I've been eye balling some polar watches, people who have them- do you love them?
I'm not looking to spend a bunch, probably between 80-130$$

Thanks!

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11; don't think it's available anymore, but it still works and I'm happy with it. Polar has good stuff, imo.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT40. Love it. Works well under water too while swimming.
  • ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT 4 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Polars products come with a band that wraps around your chest and an attachable transmitter and a watch receiver. The first time I used it was a real eye opener. Most apps or workout machines tell you what the average heart rate would be. Reading your personal heart rate is so much better. It really helps in calorie tracking.
  • ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Also I got mine brand new off eBay for $50
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    At my gym the machines work with an analog (ie Polar) strap, and if I were going to go with a HRM that is how I would go. I have a Garmin and it has a digital (Ant+) interface which I think is better than the analog. My bet is the new Bluetooth HRM are even better. The digital platforms are also more expandable (work with GPS and bike speed/cadence sensors) but if you don't need this kind of expandability and the data that comes with it I'd stick with the Polar, their products are pretty bulletproof.
  • KatieM46
    KatieM46 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! I love mine! It's great. And it's pink...fairly inexpensive
  • hannakw
    hannakw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT4, gives you a lot of motivation to see how many calories you are burning. It is waterproof for swimming too which is a bonus as I love to swim!

I am very glad I spent the money I did on it.
  • henningheather
    Options
    I also have the Polar F11 as do most of my friends that I exercise with. It has been a great gadget for me and I've found that I exercise longer when I can see exactly how many calories I actually burned. A couple of things; in order for a HRM to be even somewhat accurate, it must have the ability to be programmed with your specifics such as gender, age, weight, height, resting HR, etc. If it doesn't take these into account then it's just guessing. Also, a chest strap is only noticeable the first 10 minutes you wear it so don't let that freak you out, it also aids in keeping the figures accurate. Polar stands behind their product and has fixed an issue I had with mine free of charge not too long after I got it and actually sent me an additional chest strap when they did it. I just sent mine in for a battery replacement and if possible, I'd look into one that you can change the battery in yourself. I had to send mine to a certified Polar repair shop and that is a pain.
  • henningheather
    Options
    Also, I'm just now needing a battery replacement after several years of use.
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into one of these for sure. :)