Confused! Question for App Users.

Options
I have hit a 10lb weight loss. According to MFP, that's a "significant loss" (I don't know if that's because of my other numbers, SW/GW/etc.) Anyway... I logged my weight today and it gave me this message about changing my goals. Has any one else had this? Does anyone else know exactly what they are talking about?

All I can tell is that they've increased my allotted caloric intake by 60 calories (anyone have any idea how that's helpful?)

Sooooo...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have to adjust your goal as you lose weight as your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) goes down with your weight.

As to why it increases your goal, I have no idea, it seems like it should do the opposite.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Most people recomend adjusting calorie goals every 10 pounds , it's basically because your needs change. A lighter person needs less base calories. Also the people that run mfp, are always researching. Apparently they have adjusted some calories up for some activity settings. I know for me, very active was too low. I guess they are trying to get it as right as estimates can be.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Needs changing definitely makes sense. Why they increased the goal is still a mystery! :laugh: I may stick with my original... I can't see me DYING to have those extra 60 calories!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In December, MFP changed their algorithm for recommended protein levels, and for estimated calorie needs for certain activity levels. The first time you change your goals after the change - and assuming you are one of the activity levels affected - you may see a slight increase in calories.

See here: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Personally I like updating my profile weight every week and a half to two weeks. I would rather lose 10 calories because I am down a pound than wait and lose 100 calories because I am down 10 pounds. I don't notice a 10 calorie reduction in the amount I eat, but would notice if I "had" to cut 100. It is a mental thing.:wink:
  • celia0adell
    celia0adell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally I like updating my profile weight every week and a half to two weeks. I would rather lose 10 calories because I am down a pound than wait and lose 100 calories because I am down 10 pounds. I don't notice a 10 calorie reduction in the amount I eat, but would notice if I "had" to cut 100. It is a mental thing.:wink:

I totally agree!