fitbit and adding in activities on MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I log food on MFP only and exercise is picked up by Fitbit (only). Fitbit is for walking, running and jogging. Anything else can be logged on Fitbit . Fitbit will send an adjustment to MFP.

When you log exercise activity (walking) on fitbit so you have a record of it- does your calories for the day increase also?... Or are you only supposed to log activity that the fitbit can not read or if you weren't wearing it?... It has walking as an activity listed so I thought I should be recording it.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't think it doubles it, when you log the time you walked from start to finish, it just says during this time out of all the calories you burned all day, this is how many you got for this walk. There is a group you can join on MFP called Fitbit Users that might help.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't think it doubles it, when you log the time you walked from start to finish, it just says during this time out of all the calories you burned all day, this is how many you got for this walk. There is a group you can join on MFP called Fitbit Users that might help.

Thank you I'll look for that group
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have just been logging non-walking activities on FB not MFP and have not seen any doubles....I do however log ALL activities with times in FB - otherwise I don't think it will pick up the cal expenditure.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Yesterday I wanted to record a walk I did...so I was on the fb app and went to Activity and logged "Walking, 1 hour, 3.5 miles" Then it added in additional calories burned to my total burn for the day.... Shouldn't that number not have changed since it was recording my steps and cals burned etc as I was doing it?...not adding more?...

I can't tell if I am making sense with my question-sorry if I am confusing you.

I rarely record any exercise - especially not walking because that's what FitBit tracks best. However - when I do log, I log it on MFP - not FitBit's site. The adjustment to take away the calories isn't instant - you have to wait for it to sync again (usually within 15 minutes) and at that point it should realize (if you put in the time and length correctly) that you have a manual entry and adjust accordingly.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do believe that when you log exercise now you report the time of the exercise and MFP reduces the FitBit adjustment accordingly.

This. If you are using the stopwatch function on your FitBit to record your exercises, then it should make it easier for you to record them on MFP (just look on your dashboard). The adjustment calories aren't really helpful if you are using them as a guide for eating back calories or tracking activity.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • c_crosby
    c_crosby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fitbit Flex. I normally log my workouts into my dashboard. However, I can't manually add a workout. The dashboard doesn't give me that option. Can someone help?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit and it's all synced with MFP. If I walk on my treadmill for an hour and the calories burned are synced from my fitbit to mfp do I still input on MFP that I walked for one hour?
    You don't need to log step-based activities. Non-step activities (such as biking or swimming) should be logged either in Fitbit (I do this) or in MFP--never both. That would be "double dipping." If you log an activity in MFP, you'll be asked for start & end times. Then MFP will override your Fitbit data during that time.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fitbit Flex. I normally log my workouts into my dashboard. However, I can't manually add a workout. The dashboard doesn't give me that option. Can someone help?
    Are you taking about the website? You log using the "log" tab (to the right of the "dashboard" tab).
  • memes_74
    memes_74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I log all activities on mfp...today I ran on the treadmill...at first when fitbit synced it sent over my calories after I entered the exercise in mfp and what times they automatically adjusted correctly.