How much do you pay for running shoes?

Options

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Once I find a pair I like, I look online for a better deal LOL.

LunarFly 3+ Trail is what I ran my road marathon in, loved them, and they were $30 online from Finish Line. They offered a touch of support, but weren't fully neutral and my feet didn't hurt after the 26.2.

I also found that I liked Nike Pegasus shoes, and even though they were $100 in the stores, you could easily find them for $50 from online retailers. (Reputable online retailers that is...none of this "we ship you free shoes, real deal!" stuff.)
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was wearing cross trainers and then I went and got fitted at a running store. I paid a little under a hundred. After deciding I loved them, I bought another pair for $65 online.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I love Salomon's and just got a pair of XR Mission Trail Runners for under $70 at Sierra Trading Post online. I have pretty good luck finding a good fit without trying them on, so mail order/internet works for me (even tho I do prefer to shop locally for most things :smile: ). I'm guessing that how Sierra offers such good deals is because they are last year's models or overstock, etc. Anyway, though I always get a good name-brand shoe, I won't pay more than $70, and usually pay less. Good luck with finding something that works well for you at a reasonable price!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Delete.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I saw how much running shoes cost. How much did your shoes cost was it worth it to buy the more expensive kind?

If you're really going to be out there running, shoes are extremely important. I would advice you to go to an actual running store where they will watch you run and evaluate your stride and determine your pronation tendencies, etc and having them properly fit you for a good running shoe.

If you're doing a lot of running and don't have proper shoes then you're going to be in a world of hurt. I no longer run often enough to fork out too much for good running shoes so I don't...I just make sure I have a decent shoe that is neutral since I'm a supinator...but when I was running a lot, my Brooks Ghosts were around $130 I think.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I had my first pair from a running shop after having my gait analysed and spent £80. I've just bought a pair of trail trainers that are 'last year's colour' and instead of £120 they cost me £40. I wouldn't cut corners on getting decent shoes but there are bargains to be had especially at this time of year when 2014's designs are just hitting the market.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    YES---they are worth it. I usually pay around $100 but I look for sales everywhere and have found my Asics $20-30 off all kinds of amazing place including Amazon, Zappos, REI and all the sports stores at the end of year [I don't mind if my model is last year's].

Running in poor shoes or shoes not made for running is not worth the pain, injury and aggravation.

Having said that I have run 30 marathons---I've run a LOT of miles. I put 400 plus miles in my shoes and if you look at miles per shoes---running shoes are a much better pay-off than any other shoes I own.

Also, I use my old shoes to run on the treadmill. I find that the treadmill wears them out much faster than the road---but is more forgiving if they are a little shot.

Good luck!
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I live near the New Balance Factory and outlet, so I have never paid over $35.00 for a great pair of New Balance!
  • BriPZ74
    BriPZ74 Posts: 19
    Options
    If you are a very fast runner, you don't have to pay anything :laugh:

Can't let this one go by without a quote, made me LOL.

As for the shoe, I go with a minimalist style which are usually inexpensive plus they work great for my cardio workouts too.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The shoes I like run around $120-150. I've never paid that much, though. I usually get last season's model or get them on sale. My last pair I bought before I needed them, and they sat in my closet until my other pair gave up the ghost.
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In the past I have paid up to $170 for shoes. I have "man feet"...I'm 5"3 and wear a wide size 10. Women's shoes don't fit properly, so I have to pay more to get men's shoes. I managed to get a $60 discount on my last pair because the colour was discontinued.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I typically pay 140. But honestly the better quality shoes are around that range. And trust me you want to buy those ones. Cheaper shoes will break down faster.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I paid $100 for my last pair which are New Balance (my personal fave brand of shoes). But they were bought on fingerhut so they were probably 10-15% higher than in a store. I would pay $100 for them again.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I pay $128 for my Brooks Dyads. I love them and I've never felt bad about plunking down the money. I've owned 4 pair so far and they are worth it. I stopped injuring my right foot as soon as I got fitted for my shoes. Love them.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    PLEASE stop getting fitted at specialty stores and then taking that information to buy on amazon....

From someone who works in a specialty store, you're putting us out of business. Just ask if we'll price match! We'll do just about anything to keep your business. Most shop owners will be flattered you want to buy from them rather than online and they'll make exceptions to the price to keep you. You're doing more than just buying shoes. Your money stays local, which helps the community and the local economy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I saw how much running shoes cost. How much did your shoes cost was it worth it to buy the more expensive kind?

I buy Saucony Hurricane, heavy over-pronator. Market is £120 so about $180-200. Ikeep an eye on outlets to try to get something off when I can, not too worried about colours.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Asics gel-cumulus lite shows. I didn't need the reflective stuff, just the shoes were way cuter than the non-reflective model and only ten bucks more lol They ended up costing 132$ after taxes, I would've only saved like $5 buying them online so just bought them in store so I would have them right away. Next time, now that I know I'm just neutral, I'll look online and shop around a bit first, but I LOVE these shoes!!! Much better than my half size too small old pair LOL They were my treat for sticking to working out for longer than I ever have before, and I'll be focusing a bit more on cardio now so they were necessary.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I paid $180 for mine. I just don't like the others I have tried but I always look around when I go shopping because I wouldn't mind saving some money!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Mine where almost $44.99. (On sale; original price was $70.)

I got the FILA Memory foam Running shoes. They are pretty awesome (and squishy!). :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the most i've paid was $100 from a local specialty shop. yes i probably could have paid $20 les from amazon or some other outlet, but i try to support local stores as much as possible because it helps my community in general