Runner's Expertise Please!

Options
Hi there!!

Well here I am! 24 years old, I've always wanted to run. I've hemmed and hawed and always let everything get in the way of stopping me. Well no more! This has been a dream and lately the motto has been life is too short so I'm going to let this dream take place!

Here's the deal: I want to do this right. I've got too many other things going on in my life to be fool hearty about this. So I have been trying to do my research. But I thought I would go right to the source. All of you smart people on MFP. I want to know what you do. The stretches, warmups, cool downs, how you got started, what you recommend for shoes, did you get started on treadmill, outdoors, what would you recommend to beginner you now that you are a veteran runner?

I went to an awesome store yesterday that was so cool. They did a number of tests including having seeing where my weight is distributed, how I walk, how I run...all that fun stuff. Then they recommended shoes to me. I fell in love with a pair but they didn't have quite the right size. So I will have wait for them to come in. What would you recommend for shoes?

Please help a novice out! :o)

Replies

• SarcasticManiac
    Options
    Well I'm no expert, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I would suggest what I've been doing, which is to find something relatively small you can do consistently on a regular basis. I have a route around campus that I always run, which is approx. 2 miles. It takes me roughly 20 minutes to do, and is convenient since it begins and starts at my apartment. If you happen to have an android phone, I would recommend the app CardioTrainer. The free version is excellent, using your GPS to calculate your speed, and how many calories you burn based on how much you weigh. You can then put that number straight into MFP.

Again, I want to stress that I'm not an expert or an experienced runner. I'd like to hear what the pros have to say too.

Also, I'm interested in where you went for those tests. What store was that?
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm a total running noob myself.

You might check out Jeff Galloway's Book on Running:
    http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book-Running-Jeff-Galloway/dp/0936070277/

I just bought his book "Half Marathon: You can do it!" and I'm really impressed so far.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed a nice light jog. But, in the last year I went from running 2 miles max, to running 2 half Marathons! I was a novice too. Although I don't consider myself an expert...here's what I would do....

Warm up- I start with a light jog for a few minutes, some butt kicks (go to runnersworld.com-- they have great videos on examples of warmups)
    Cooldowns-- I usually end with a light jog and walk.
    Stretch-- I can't emphasize the importance of stretching enough! I learned the hard way. Now, if I only have so much time to workout, I make sure that I include my stretch time because it is SOOO important! (runnersworld.com-- great stretches there as well) Make sure to stretch every leg muscle, your back, your butt and your arms. I spend a lot of time on my legs and butt.

If you run outside, a few sweet websites to help you track your distance are the following: mapmyrun.com and runningahead.com I love those websites because in the summer I loove running outside. All of the scenery and the breeze. Its an amazing and stress-relieving feeling!

Running on a treadmill isn't my cup of tea, but I do it in the winter when the snow is so thick you can't go anywhere without boots (I live in the mountains). On days where the road is clear I will put on warm clothes (underarmour compression gear) and go for a run. But, if its too harsh outside I do intervals on the tread mill. I practice on my speed, or my endurance at a certain speed. I also am sure to add inclines also.

Running shoes are VERY important! You did a great thing by going to a professional running store to get fitted for shoes that work for you. Each person is different, but even though good running shoes may be expensive, you definitely want to invest the money into good shoes. They will be your best friend. Did the running store also tell you how many miles to put on the shoe? My store recommended 400-500 miles. The lady said that she typically goes to 400 miles and buys a new pair, and then uses her old shoes on shorter running days to get the most use out of them she can.

As far as increasing your distance...do so gradually. No more than 10% increase each week when you are first starting running. Start out running what you can-- maybe its 1 mile. Maybe 2-3 miles. Do that for a few weeks until you feel super good at running that particular distance, than gradually add 10%.

Frequency---each person is different, but I personally enjoy running 2-3 days a week (sometimes 4 in the summer because I LOVE the weather). At least one of my runs is a "longer" run, and the rest are shorter but quicker runs.

Running is so therapeutic...i just love it! Add me as a friend if you want more support from an intermediate :) I'm definitely no expert...but I've learned so much from others and from my own experience that I love to share!!
  • lmschifano
    Options
    Hey!!! I'm a 10K and half marathon runner,.... so MAYBE I can help!!!

Warm up at least 2 to 3 minutes before a run stretching your leg muscles and your low back. (One time I got a pinched nerve in my low back from not stretching. Most pain ever!) Start slow!! Run a half mile or a mile your first time and see how you feel. Dont be afraid to do interval runs (Where you run a little and then walk a little) Actually they say that even helps trip your metabolism :) To add distance if that is your goal, increase your milage by 10% every week. This is a safe way to increase distance, while at the same time preventing injury. pace yourself! Run at a pace where you feel like you could do that all day in the beginning :) At the end stretch again and be sure to drink plenty of water!!! Also bananas are greaaattt prerun and postrun foods because it supplies you with potassium. If you get leg cramps at night drink some good ole OJ for that quick potassium and vitamin C!

I hope this helps! If you need to know anything else just let me know :)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm a total running noob myself.

You might check out Jeff Galloway's Book on Running:
    http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book-Running-Jeff-Galloway/dp/0936070277/

I just bought his book "Half Marathon: You can do it!" and I'm really impressed so far.

I love Jeff Galloway's stuff! I have never bought the book, but you can find him online too with some limited, but good information. Tips and Training schedules. I think it would be pretty cool to see him teach a seminar! He uses a walk-run method that I used when I first started based off what he teaches. It definitely helped me to increase my distance, and eventually speed. He's great!!! www.jeffgalloway.com

Ohh..also...if you are a newbie newbie to running...a good place to start would be Couch to 5K. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ...its a pretty good program, also using a walk-run method and eventually getting people to run a full 5K run.
  • manamac
    Options
    I've run a few 10K races and my first half marathon this past May. The thing that helped me the most was run/walk breaks. To start with try running for 3 mins walk for 1 min and then increase to 5 mins with a 1 min break. I trained for my half marathon doing a 10 min run with a 1 min walk break and even ran the race that way. It really helps with your endurance.

Good luck, it's an amazing sport!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    After lowering my two mile time from 16:00 min to 13:45 min in the past month and half, I have found the biggest factor in improving your running is simply running. Practice makes perfect. Good luck! :)

I've been running five days a week for the past 4.5 months to give some perspective.
  • lmschifano
    Options
    Woot yea! Runnersworld has the BEST advice! agreed
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    Options
    I've been running for years so I can tell you what I know from my experience. First off, don't get discouraged and don't give up - everyone can run, just do it at your own pace.

Start off slow - there are great stores out there that have learn to run programs, like the Running Room - I strongly recommend them because you do training sessions with them and they also go over all of the mechanics as well.

You definitely need good shoes - the best shoes for running are Asics, New Balance or Saucony. Don't go with Nike or Addidas or any of these brands because their shoes are designed more for fashion. I love Asics because they are very light and so comfortable. Try them on, run in them, test them out in the store. When I first started running, I visited the Running Room, they showed me great shoes and let me test them on a treadmill in the store. I bought a pair of New Balance. I went out for my first couple of runs and they bothered my feet so I went back and they exchanged them for Asics and I've been wearing them ever since (8 years).

Start off with small periods of running and increase that each week, alternating between walking and running. Try walking for 5 minutes, running for 1, walking for 5 minutes x 4 times to start, then each week add 30 or so seconds to your running time and eventually, when you feel comfortable with it, cut down on your walking in between. You should do your routine about 3 times a week.

That's how I started - after my 16 week learn to run program at the Running Room I ran my first 5km.

As for stretching, warm up with a 5-8 minute walk. If your body is feeling tight, do calf, quad and hip flexer stretches beforehand as well - holding each for 15 seconds. It's more important to stretch after - stretch your legs, arms and back - hold each stretch for 30-45 seconds.

As well, as a tip, ensure you keep hydrated! They say you should drink 1ltr of water for every couple of 3-5 kms you run depending on weight and health. But don't over hydrate because you will feel the water sloshing around in your stomach. You'll figure it out quickly what works for you.

Hope this was helpful, if you have any other questions, please feel to ask - I've had lots of injuries and run into lots of questions so I'm sure I can answer your questions or point you in the right direction to get the answers.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The shoes are so important!
    I run about 3 miles to 6 miles a day
    And i have been using the same old shoes for 3 years.
    I am constantly in pain and spraining the arch of my foot.

going to get new ones next week when i am in town >.>
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cardio Trainer? Thanks for the head's up. Downloading the app now.

I agree with starting small. The Couch to 5k plan is awesome, but any moving is good. I like running on a track. I started by running just one lap and then walking another 7-11 laps, then slowly working my way up to running all 12 laps (3 miles).

For shoes I am using Vibram's Five Finger Sprints (check them out here: http://www.citysports.com/Vibram-Sprint/search) which help transition you into barefoot running. I really like them. You run toe to heel instead of heel to toe and works different muscles in your legs (the first two weeks my legs were SO sore). I have found that I don't have near the joint aches and pains I used to have since I started running in these.

There's my two cents.
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    I have run 4 marathons, 1 ultra (31 miles) and countless shorter distances. I love running! I find it to be meditative, invigorating, challenging and a great calorie torch! I am selfish when I run - I don't take the kids or the dogs. I will run with friends. I look at it as a treat - my time to not be the mom, wife, employee, cook etc.

That being said I did not always feel this way. Running is hard - I am pretty sure it is hard for everyone. It will take a bit of time for you to settle in to it. Don't get discouraged. Give yourself at least a couple of months of running 3 times a week or so and I bet you will feel like a completely different person when you are out there. I reccomend starting slow - painfully slow. The kind of slow where you feel like you could almost do it all day. My first runs resemebled more of a shuffle. Don't worry about distance. Just run, or shuffle :wink: for a couple of minutes, or even just a minute and then do recovery walk for a couple of minutes. Do this off and on for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Each week plan on running a bit longer - maybe 30 seconds or a minute more of the run time and recovering just a bit less, again maybe 30 seconds or minute. Eventually whittling the intervals down to nothing. After a few months you may consider running a bit longer. I pick one day a week for my "long" run and then add 5 minutes or so to the previous time. I run with this extra time for two long runs and then add another 5 minutes. You'd be surprised at how quickly you find yourself running for an hour.

I think it is important to remember that running is a sport of patience. It is hard and to do it right you need to ease your body in to it. If you do too much, too fast, too soon you will only make it harder on yourself and expose yourself to possible injury. Be patient with it. Add time slowly and let your body adjust.

Best of luck to you!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    First off thank you everyone so much for your replies! I can't tell you how much I appreciate them all!!!

I downloaded that droid app right away and its super cool! I can't wait to test it out!

I'm glad to know I was on track with the shoes. I've heard differing opinions on the shoes and even recently I read an article on MFP saying that shoes were not important. Once I went in it was a fabulous experience and I learned SO much! Tonight I ordered my first pair of Saucony Omni 8's! I couldn't be more excited!

I'm going to look at all of the links you posted as well. I've been reading up on this for a while but I really feel SO uneducated on the topic. Like I said its something I always wanted to do but I really don't want to injure myself and want to do everything I can do to prevent it. My husband is kind of "cautious" in the running department in the sense that he doesn't want to see my shins or knees get damaged and this is why I am determined to do this right.

I'm going to have to read up on specific stretches since I'm kind of rusty in that department. But the gym I joined said that they would be willing to help orient me in any way they could.

Thanks so much everyone! If you don't mind, I think I might send a few add requests your way! I need as much advice as possible if you don't mind dishing it out! :o)
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    I'm glad you like the app. I would also suggest that you download the MFP android app as well, it syncs with the website flawlessly!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Nice thread.

I'm not a runner at all myself. But I'm doing a 5km 'fun run' in December, never done anything like it in my life so it should be interesting to see how I do. I'd better get training then! :D