I cosign this rant.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    huh? who cares?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    People are taking this as though you are speaking the them personally.
    It's clear that you are speaking as if you are talking to that person that the rant was meant for.
    People are just attacking you and being rude for no reason.
    As for an actual response-- I completely understand how you feel. My own mother complains and rags on me for bettering myself, eating healthier, and getting into shape. Just because she is 200+ lbs and I am 140 lbs she thinks that since I already weigh so much less than HER that I have no reason to better myself and make myself happy with my health and my body. Your post took the words right out of my mouth that I would love to say to her every day. (We don't get along well anyways and that's a whole other history and story).

^this!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Welcome jofjltncb6... You just happened to come in during a sensitive subject debate, so please don't let it scare you off.

You might want to look up the poster's history....trust me, he's been here a long time and he's not one to shy away... :laugh:

Don't listen to this guy.

I'm actually very sensitive, frequently confused, and my feelings are easily hurt.

I'll try not to get scared...

...and will just hide over here in the corner...

...in the fetal position...

...sucking my thumb...

...sobbing inconsolably.

See what you people did with your rant shaming...

Now we'll never get to hear how he feels about this.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Nice body!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying! and amen! I too have the same 5 to lose. Say what you want and be who you want. People get so serious on here, its why I don't ever come to the forums!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Quesadillas have nothing to do with cheese.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! I want to lose 5 more pounds

Yes !!! I know that you weight more than I do

No, me wanting to lower my body fat % is not a critique about your weight.

I know you would kill to look like me

I work hard to be healthy and I do it for myself and my family.......it has nothing to do with you.

(End rant)

I understand. It can get frustrating when you are doing something for your own reasons, and people with issues on that subject take it as an insult. It's an important life lesson to learn - in general, what someone else does is not about you, it's about them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I wish I could edit my first post.

I was ranting because last week I was invited to diner at a friend, her other friend I did not know was there also. When we made a list of our goals and wishes for 2014, one of the item was to lose the last 5 pounds. The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

End of story
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I work hard to be healthy and I do it for myself and my family.......it has nothing to do with you.

(End rant)

I understand. It can get frustrating when you are doing something for your own reasons, and people with issues on that subject take it as an insult. It's an important life lesson to learn - in general, what someone else does is not about you, it's about them.

The sad part is, currently I don't tell people I'm losing weight b/c I know they wouldn't disagree and say that I should stay how I am but would chime in with crazy ideas. Then when I'm closer to goal weight I won't be able to say it and show off my almost there status b/c they will be telling me that I should just stay how I am. Then at maintenance it will just sound like a brag. Overall I really don't see when IRL it's a good idea to talk about weight goals with ppl.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

I was ranting because last week I was invited to diner at a friend, her other friend I did not know was there also. When we made a list of our goals and wishes for 2014, one of the item was to lose the last 5 pounds. The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

End of story

You have to be unsuccessful so that other people don't feel bad about themselves.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

End of story

Shoulda said, "If I looked like you I would not draw attention to my weight."

End of story.

Just kidding, in the moment it's so hard to think of the right come back and most ppl don't like to be rude back to a rude person. HOWEVER i am getting to the point where I like to reply almost verbatim to a rude person b/c if I am using precisely their sentence structure or logic flaw they cannot call me rude without pointing the finger at themselves. This is after years and years and years of sucking it up when any comeback to someone else's rude comment would only put me on blast. Ppls rude comments are waning.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

End of story

The person who said that was probably feeling very insecure at that moment, so she lashed out. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with her, and she knows it.

Hence the title of your rant I guess!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

End of story
    No wonder you were upset. There is no reason for anyone to make comments like that. Comments like that are all about the other person.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

(End rant)

People take you wanting to lose weight as a personal insult. It's crazy.
    I had a similar situation when I decided to stop drinking for a month, just to see if it made a difference to my life. It was like I was personally insulting the people I went to the pub with.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    People are taking this as though you are speaking the them personally.
    It's clear that you are speaking as if you are talking to that person that the rant was meant for.
    People are just attacking you and being rude for no reason.
    As for an actual response-- I completely understand how you feel. My own mother complains and rags on me for bettering myself, eating healthier, and getting into shape. Just because she is 200+ lbs and I am 140 lbs she thinks that since I already weigh so much less than HER that I have no reason to better myself and make myself happy with my health and my body. Your post took the words right out of my mouth that I would love to say to her every day. (We don't get along well anyways and that's a whole other history and story).

^this!

Yep....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It is, but I also get where it comes from. I have a buddy approximately my age - we were on the get-fit wagon together, and he bailed six months ago. I kept going and have vastly improved my fitness level, meanwhile three months ago he had a heart attack.

His wife now *hates* me.

It both does and doesn't make sense, know what I mean?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    But if you 'know I would kill to look like you', then you made it about me. No, your loss has nothing to do with my weight, and who I would kill to look like is none of your damned business, either.

I hope that was a quote from someone :D Otherwise the logic is a bit faulty. You do your thing and I'll do mine, and please don't assume everyone is just jealous of you. That's obnoxious as hell!

Lol I am not that full of myself believe me. It has been said to me. I don't believe people are jealous of me, what hurt is that because I am "thinner then they are" I have no right to be unhappy about my body.

Am I missing something here? Do you personally know all the responses that assume you are saying that they are jealous or want to be you noise...like offline?

I just took it as an old fashion rant. Didn't think it applied to me.

But then again, I could be wrong.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

It is, but I also get where it comes from. I have a buddy approximately my age - we were on the get-fit wagon together, and he bailed six months ago. I kept going and have vastly improved my fitness level, meanwhile three months ago he had a heart attack.

His wife now *hates* me.

It both does and doesn't make sense, know what I mean?

Clearly it's your fault that he had the heart attack. No seriously, major projecting. She probably feels bad for not encouraging him to continue or (for her sake I hope it's not true) feels guilty for nagging him about gym time, lifestyle change, etc and maybe having a hand in him giving up. If either are true and she's not ready to face it, it's just easier to blame it all on you instead. Suck especially if your trying to be there for him.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

End of story

I understand why you were upset and it was out of line for the person to say anything. However, I kind of get where she's coming from. My husband had gained a lot of weight, then worked hard, took it all off, and is now in maintenance. I'm currently trying to lose the baby weight from the second child. Sometimes he makes comments about stuff that bothers him about his body, which I get - he hasn't hit quite where he wants to be yet. But the way it comes out, I end up feeling like "wow, if he's so disgusted by that tiny issue when he looks great, what must he think of me?" Not his fault, not his issue, and he's not making me feel that way - but I do.

Again, I don't think she should have said anything, but I don't think it was done to attack you as much as seeking some kind of reassurance from the group that they don't find her repulsive.