Calories a day???

Options
Hi everyone, I am 19 years old. I know you probably see this question all the time but I am still so confused and this is my first time on the message boards, so your help is greatly appreciated!
I have been eating 1200 calories for about a year now, last year I lost 20 lbs, and I stopped working out in April when something tragic happened in my family.
I have decided that I want to lose more weight this year and really stay focused.
I am 5'4 and I am around 135-138 lbs and I am so terrified to gain any weight. I want to be about 120- 125
MFP tells me I should take in 1230 calories a day, and I burn about 600 calories a day from running on the treadmill, which means I have 630 calories in me, I guess lol. I don't really understand net calories and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or not, because this worked last year but I am not sure if this is enough to eat a day. Am I doing this right, or should I be eating more.
I'm sorry for being so annoying, I just don't understand net calories and how much I should be eating.

Replies

• JenzL13
    JenzL13 Posts: 27
    Options
    Here is a great link, you will find all the info you could hope for :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Net calories is the amount you eat minus what you exercised. If you eat 1200 and burn 600, your net is 600. This is not enough to keep you healthy and will eventually wreck your metabolism. Try reading this article to better help you understand what your body needs to lose or maintain weight. I'm guessing you should be netting closer to 1500-1800 calories (or eating 2100-2400 and burning 600).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight for your height. The rest are really vanity pounds, so to speak.

My advice would to set your MFP goal to maintain, or if you're really set on losing those few pounds, set it to .5/lbs a week.

You definitely should be eating well above 1200 calories. And if you're exercising, you should be eating those calories as well.

Lastly, I suggest seeing your doctor before starting any of this, as he/she will be able to provide you with some valuable information, and knows your medical history, etc.
  • alexanik
    alexanik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why though, because I did that last year and I lost 20 pounds easily. I look heavy and I would just like to be thin which is why I want to lose weight so badly and why I'm so afraid to gain. Sorry to bother anyone.