BMI I want to CHOKE YOU!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling about bmi. Mine is 26 for the last year and can't get to my ideal of 24. I am apple shape, 5'2" and need to lose15lbs. And I eat between 1000-1200 calls a day. Should work but it is not.

At 50, it is hard enough, so I can imagine how much harder it is at 72. Try increasing protein, reducing carbs, and doing some strength training. For you, I would go for health numbers, muscle mass, and bone strength, more than reaching a certain number on the scale. Hang in there.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss, I was in the obese category. I couldn't believe how excited I was when I hit the overweight category! Don't let it dishearten you, don't focus solely on it and good luck with your goal!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss, I was in the obese category. I couldn't believe how excited I was when I hit the overweight category! Don't let it dishearten you, don't focus solely on it and good luck with your goal!

I agree with this. concentrate on you weight loss, fitness and body fat %
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Funny how only larger people seem to moan about BMi - mine puts me at underweight but I feel healthy

being at the other end of the scale doesnt automatically mean you are in a better postion than someone larger. bmi doesnt take into account fitness, body fat % or overall health.
  • easydo14
    easydo14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. If I increase protein it will automatically increase fat and that's not good. I will only eat vegetarian occasionally. I always go over 35% of fat now. I do eat fruit and vege, trying to keep nutrition balanced. I think I am on a perfect maintenance diet. Exercise seems to be the only way to lose, but I hate it! Does anyone know how to calculate
    Body fat?
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    i think some gyms and chemist have machines that calculate body fat. On this site i have read posts about people using calipers.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I increase protein it will automatically increase fat and that's not good.

It's fine. Total caloric intake is what you should be most concerned with for weight loss, though you'll probably feel better if you get those calories from "good" and varied foods.

Fat itself isn't a problem and isn't going to make you fat. Plus it's delicious. Just don't go nuts.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    bmi doesnt take into account fitness, body fat % or overall health.

For the vast majority of people, it simply doesn't matter. 99% of the time, if someone's BMI is too high, it's because they're simply too fat.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, most of us don't want to admit how high our BF% really is.

Yup.

It's a bit like people describing themselves as "fit" despite never playing any sports or doing sustained physical activity. That's not fitness even if you're lean.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Funny how only larger people seem to moan about BMi - mine puts me at underweight but I feel healthy

Don't you worry about having a low LBM, though (or maybe your frame is just unusually tiny)? But be careful; being thin does not equal being fit or healthy. That's why there is a guideline in both directions.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I hate BMI too! I'm 5'5, 160lbs, and wear a US size 8 jeans. Yet I'm still "overweight" by 10 lbs. I currently feel healthy and am already being told I'm "too skinny" by some people. I will be "healthy" eventually 112-150lbs is healthy for me, so I set my GW for 125 and I'm getting closer!
  • jamiebxo
    jamiebxo Posts: 116
    Options
    SO, I'm getting back into this weight tracking thing. Spent the last year not doing much with it and lost 4lbs but 4lbs in a year is nothing!!! BMI @ 34.9% So I'm obese. Freaking fantastic. Yes 210lbs is in no way a respectable weight for someone of my height. but still. BMI you suck.. Large *kitten* smack in the face!!! :sad:

My BMI when I started was 33+, so "obese", it is now 22.9, "healthy", in just under a year. It can be done with some patience. However, I wouldn't let BMI be the be-all-end-all - it doesn't account for muscle or anything like that. There are people who are in great shape and have a lot of muscle but would be classed as overweight on the BMI calculator. But it can be a good starting point and good to refer to along the way - it is motivating to see yourself drop from "obese" to "overweight" to "healthy"! Don't let it dishearten you, you can do it!
  • bolttsm
    bolttsm Posts: 10
    Options
    I hate BMI!! I am going for IVF this year but until my BMI is below 30 they won't do it. I'm a UK size 16 and 5"8. At the mo about 99kgs with my BMI just under 32.

My digital scales put me at 7lbs heavier than what my dial scales say. My dial scales match my doctors scales. I have no idea what the hospital scales will say. I am just going with what my digital ones say and using them for my weigh in. It frustrates me that we can't move forward with the IVF until my BMI has come down. I understand that it improves chances etc but at a size 16 (I as previously 20) I don't feel that I am majorly obese. I think that doctors should consider people's life style rather than focusing on those 3 flipping letters.
    Thats true I wish that they would consider more our lifestyles and what we do every day. I may not be at my physical peck but i can keep up with others yet im considered in the same group as say someone with limited to no mobility..... Frustration!
  • bolttsm
    Options
    Focus on your weight loss, your measurements, and how you feel. Check your BMI again way down the road - don't focus on that. You are going to do great - keep working at it and your BMI will continue to get smaller. :)
    Thank you and I will ...
  • bolttsm
    Options
    I know BMI isn't the best way to determine health but at least it's a good starting point and motivation. That was where I began...at 35.7...and was determined to work on getting that down. It was a great feeling to get into the overweight category and it gave me the motivation to try for the normal range and I actually made it! So use that feeling to help you keep determined!
    Thank you so much, i hate my body type its so small. and the fat just sits on top of the muscle! anyone else with that body type!?!?!?!

Yeah, you are built just like me. Short waist and carry all your weight in your midsection.

The good thing is that you can build muscle fairly easily. The bad thing is when you have extra fat on top of the muscle, it really shows.
    The main thing I learned is with this body type, you are probably more insulin-resistant than someone who carries their weight in their hips. So a lower carb, higher fat/protein diet will probably work better for you. Look into South Beach, or Paleo/Primal plans and see if they look like something that you can do. You can tweak them a bit to fit your own needs/tastes. I like SB, but my body doesn't do well with wheat or a lot of grains, so Paleo is better for me. But I like cheese, so Primal is even better. But I like peanuts, and some prepackaged foods, so I just eat them anyway and fit them into my macros. :tongue:

ETA, and if you can get the diet under control and get into weight lifting, you can kick some butt in the gym!
    Thank you tat actually really helps me out alot... and it makes sense. I really do pride myself on being strong but I dont want to look like a man when everything is said and done!!
  • bolttsm
    Options
    I know the feeling about bmi. Mine is 26 for the last year and can't get to my ideal of 24. I am apple shape, 5'2" and need to lose15lbs. And I eat between 1000-1200 calls a day. Should work but it is not.

Doing simple exercise will work... and just simple tricks and tips like eating at curtain times of the day will work too.. aall depends on what your eating too. I honestly just make healthier choices on what i put in my mouth and find fun ways to be active... my dogs keep me going to!! I'm in high risk for depression so i try to do things that make me happy regardless!!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. If I increase protein it will automatically increase fat and that's not good. I will only eat vegetarian occasionally. I always go over 35% of fat now. I do eat fruit and vege, trying to keep nutrition balanced. I think I am on a perfect maintenance diet. Exercise seems to be the only way to lose, but I hate it! Does anyone know how to calculate
    Body fat?

you know you can drink a plant based protein shake with water
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    BMI is not the "end all". My husband who is 6' 3" and weighs 207 has a BMI of 25.9, which falls in the overweight category. The guy is anything but overweight. I would use it as a guide, and try to do the best you can to switch up your food choices and start an exercise program you can stick with for life. Hang in there!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

ETA, and if you can get the diet under control and get into weight lifting, you can kick some butt in the gym!
    Thank you tat actually really helps me out alot... and it makes sense. I really do pride myself on being strong but I dont want to look like a man when everything is said and done!!

Don't worry about looking like a man. While it is true that you can look bulky if you simply add muscle without losing any fat weight, if you eat at a deficit while strengthening your muscles, as you lean out you will love the results you see.

There is a big difference between some of the female Powerlifters, and the bodybuilders.

And if you are worried about how the competition female body builders look, remember that they are all pumped up and painted, and are at their leanest for those competitions. Outside the gym, they look totally different. And in the most extreme cases where they really look like men, they are using steroids. Just stay away from the roids and you won't have that problem.

If you can find a good trainer to get you started, they can help you with your form and a routine for you, so you have the best results without hurting yourself.
    Ease into it, and also remember that when you first start a lifting routine, your muscles will swell with water to help with repair. This might cause a temporary increase on the scale, but don't freak out. It will go away in a couple of weeks. Take your measurements before you start, and focus on decreasing those more than the number on the scale.