Is too much tuna bad?

Options
I need to incorporate more protein into my diet, but I heard that too much tuna can give you mercury poisoning. Yesterday I had 2 tins of John West light tuna and the day before I had one and the day before I had one. How many tins of these tunas could I have in a week that would be safe? Argh now where am I going to get my protein from...

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, we'll run out of good tuna before you'll get to eat enough of it to worry about mercury poisoning.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    barf
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have about 6 cans a week .. and have yet to die from it.

I think that there is little to worry about unless you consume huge amounts of it . . and even then, that would have to be like eating it night and day, so not likely to happen.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    http://www.ewg.org/research/tuna-calculator

Above is a link to a calculator for calculating how much you can safely consume. What about eating canned salmon instead.:smile:
  • kittymari
    kittymari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is a good question, I love tuna also, and right now tend to have about 2 cans a week. Wonder how many, are TOO MANY?:wink:
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I need to incorporate more protein into my diet, but I heard that too much tuna can give you mercury poisoning. Yesterday I had 2 tins of John West light tuna and the day before I had one and the day before I had one. How many tins of these tunas could I have in a week that would be safe? Argh now where am I going to get my protein from...

Don't even worry about mercury poisoning - canned tuna had negligible amounts. I would say mind your sodium intake - they stuff some salt into those little tins, I tell ya!!! Good luck with your protein - I cook up chicken wings, meatball 'bites' and boil up a dozen eggs every weekend, and that sees me through a lot =)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You'd have to eat tuna exclusively to even get a small %age of the allowable of Hg
    So, unless your system is particularly susceptible to Hg-related problems, eat up.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I eat4 to 6 cans aweek-been doing that for 5 years-and I know its great protein-so I am not worried at all