Extreme Food Addiction.

Options
Hi all. I've been using MFP for the better part of this past year (2013), and have been moderately successful, dropping a good 20 lbs. However, my issue is that I am extremely addicted to food. And I mean EXTREMELY. So 90, or even 95, percent of the time, I am totally okay. I am with people, not alone, and therefore embarrassed to eat more than "socially acceptable" norms dictate. For instance, if I order a dish at a restaurant, I will eat that dish only and not start grazing extra food. When I'm alone is the problem. I raid my kitchen, and end up overeating normally healthy foods in obscene amounts -- peanut butter, honey, fruits, juice, milk, soymilk, oatmeal, EVERYTHING!

So I'm thinking I'm a little abnormal in this addiction, and certainly I'm not getting any real medical help for it since my weight is well within my BMI range and I'm fairly healthy in terms of cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

Does anyone else have this issue? And don't ask me to make my food intake public. It's not calorie counting that's hurting me, it's just extreme overeating every time I am alone and have access to a food supply.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I am curious if you are not overweight if you throwing up after the bingeing?

If not throwing up, are you actually eating sufficient? If not, this maybe why you are binge eating. Are you actually eating 'obscene' amounts or only think you because you feel guilty about the bingeing?
  • November1954
    November1954 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have that problem. I have started to hide food and binge when I'm alone. I know I have a problem, but don't know what to do about it. I'm like you in that I only have about 15 lbs to lose and vitals are good. But I seem to keep losing the same 10 lbs or so over and over. I'm hoping having this forum with give me the motivation I need to straighten myself out. Not sure though.
  • threefourteen
    threefourteen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I'm within a normal range but binge uncontrollably when I'm alone. I'd really like to get it under control. Tracking my food seems to work for a bit but when stress from work and life gets high then I fall off the wagon.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You should all check out overeaters anonymous. They have great podcasts online, online meetings and local meetings. What you describe is very common among members.