How to estimate Restaurant Food Calories/Fat

Options
Ok, so I am clearly no nutritionist, but I would like to know if there were any good resources online for estimating restaurant food calories and fat. I found some in the food section of MFP, but there are many others that I can't find anywhere.

I emailed on restaurant here in Dallas and they said that they don't give out the calorie content of their burritos. I consider this a bad sign.

--Carter

Replies

• ms_sf49ergal
    Options
    that is not good. most restaurants now do give calories counts on their meals.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In my experience, most chains have their nutrition information available online. You might have to search a bit, as some of them would really prefer you not know how many calories are in their food. The husband and I went to Buffalo Wild Wing last night, and we were trying to pick our food before we went. According to their website, the only way to get BWW nutrition info is to e-mail customer service department during business hours and they'll e-mail you a pdf. Awesome.

What I have a hard time with is all the local restaurants here in town. I love the local food and I prefer to support local businesses over a chain, but almost NONE of them have any kind of nutrition information available. Anyone have any good tips for logging food at local restaurants?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I usually try to estimate based on somewhere else where the food is similar.

BWW won't mail me a .pdf! I have asked SO many times... no response whatsoever.
  • Eidajan
    Options
    Try the website Dottie's weightloss zone - there are many chain restaurants on there but not local ones.
  • yomamatwo
    yomamatwo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought restaurants had to supply you with their nutritional info about their food. I was at Steak n Shake with my mom today and I wanted to see how many calories were in their salads. I asked the waiter and he said he would ask the manager. He said they ran out of them but the manager made a copy and gave it to me. It listed everything! Including my Grilled chicken salad. Only 270 calories!! And it was huge!!! Yummy! It doesn't sound to promising about your burrito though.
  • slansdown
    Options
    sometimes the best you can do is estimate each thing inside the burrito -- or type in the general food item and find one that you think seems to be the same.

Huge Burrito -- Try typing in baja fresh dos manos.