Snacking When Bored

Options
I have the very bad habit of when I am bored I wanna just sit and snack. This is a really big problem, I work in an office and we are starting or slow season, which means less work to keep me occupied from the snacks that keep calling my name (mainly the popcorn that we have that's coated in butter and oil). Can anyone give me any suggestions on good things to eat (another problem I have is I don't like fruits, I know picky picky) or how to find a way to stop noshing when I am bored.

Replies

• lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am the same way....we are super slow as well...the only thing I know is the 100 calorie packs...I need help with this too!! :ohwell:
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    homemade popcorn that's not covered in butter and oil! Fruits, veggies (esp. crunchy ones)...the main thing is just making sure to have something on hand that is a healthy alternative. You might also like eating many small meals a day instead of 3 big ones, it feels like snacking :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I can resist sweets it's the salty stuff that I want.

Have you tried chewing gum if you are truly not hungry?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Oh yes this is a major problem for me... So my file cabinet drawer is filled with snacks.. Fiber One Bars, Apples, Water, Crystal LIght Packets, Tea... Popcorn! ... All to keep me away from the vending machine!
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a stay at home Mom of 3 boys, 2 are in school & 1 is at home all day. Granted I am usually on the go all day taking care of the kids & the house, when I do have down time I usually grab food. I really enjoy the chips ahoy 100 calorie packs (there are alot of tasty 100 cal. packs), Pop Weaver mic. popcorn (4 cups is only 100 cals & thats the butter flavor!), and Lays light potato chips are really low in calories & taste really good. Pretzels are a good snack too. I couldn't give up my junk while doing the diet thing, I just had to find better junk food choices. Many dieters would disagree with these choices because of all of the sugars & what not in them, but my personal theory is that a diet should be a way of life, not something that you dread daily. So enjoy small things! This motto has been working for me, so I hope it helps you out!!!
  • Charlie001
    Options
    i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. wHAT WORKS FOR ME IS CHEWING GUM. I do not know why but when I chew it I have no cravings to snack.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd say sugar free gum and sugar free hard boiled sweets :) Full of artificial sweetners but low on cals :wink:
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I usually break my "lunch" up into three parts so I have part of it in the mid morning, then also at lunch time and then mid afternoon...Try protein rich foods...Handful of nuts or something like that...Protein will fill you up longer...Also drink lots of water. Another good thing if you like sweets are Fiber One bars...Good fiber in them which helps stay fuller longer...Just don't eat too many of them in an office setting if you know what I mean...GOOD LUCK
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    oh, yes, that is a problem...
    I have the Fiber One/Fiberplus bars (one a day--needed for my system). I also enjoy the Trader Joe's Veggie sticks and the Trader Joe's Everything pretzel thins. They each have a crunch and as long as you don't eat the whole bag (!) and portion it out, it is a fairly low cal snack. I also look for healthy cereals that I eat dry...if they are small enough they take a while to consume (again, I have to look for fiber-packed items.)
    Good luck!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yeah it is such a problem! i love to snack/emotional eat. its just a habit. and habits can be broken. if its possible to get up and go for a short walk that helps me. chewing gum. eating a mint. checking out clothes on my favorite website and drinking hot tea all help. I am reading a book called the end of overeating, and there is a quote in there from a french woman speaking about the eating habits of american.s she was directing it a college students who snack in class, but I have personally extended it to eating at work/in the car/in class etc. she said "I can not think doing a more inappropriate thing at a more inappropriate time" so now I am making an effort to eat proper meals that keep me satisfied for hours and snacking only once in the am/pm and only to ward of hunger. and its helping. but every day is a challenge and you have to find what works for you.
    :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My office is slowing down too. I keep the following at work:

sunflower seed kernels
    almonds
    granola
    sugar free popsicles
    sugar free gum
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at night, If I am doing homework, and watching TV. I try to choose healthy at night. It is just hard, so I try and have a small glass of fat free chocolate milk, or cheese...something protein to hold me tell bedtime.
  • ldydrgn75
    ldydrgn75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird, but bring a toothbrush and toothpaste to work and try brushing your teeth when you want to snack ~ it works for me.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm really going to have to use a lot them.
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    I have the same problem every day. Especially since I work from home and am at my computer ALL DAY LONG...

My solution is munching on air-popped popcorn, nuts (almonds are best - no peanuts cuz they aren't nuts), sunflower seeds, apples, yogurt (like CARBMaster yogurt from Fred Meyer or Kroger), and nonfat cottage cheese. Beef jerky is good too, but usually too high in sodium. Dried fruit & nuts (mix) are really good too.

~Brian
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ~*~ BUMP ~*~

I've been at MFP for about 6 weeks now. The first few weeks were easy because I was "high on life". Now, it's getting real and I'm finding my problematic desire to just eat and eat and eat returning. I'm not hungry -- I eat my meals (trust me! LOL) It's not really an emotional thing. I think it's a bored thing. Or maybe an oral thing, like a smoker. Yeah, that's it. Gum is great, to a certain extent, but sometimes I crave the hand-to-mouth fidgeting. And I get tired of mint.

Anyway, this thread came up when I did a search on the words "air snack" because I am looking for something in addition to gum to satisfy that "oral craving" without a calorie load. I know this craving to keep my mouth busy is a problem to be addressed in and of itself, but one thing at at time!! In the short term, I just want to switch to better choices than a bag of cookies!!!!!!

There are GREAT suggestions in this thread, but I would like to solicit more ideas along the lines of "busy food" "air snacks" that will keep you busy for quite a while. THANK YOU!