Guys who don't go to the gym: what's your calorie budget?

Options
I'm personally not hitting the gym til I get to my goal weight. All I'm doing is working, walking and counting calories. On days I work I'm eating 1800 calories and days I don't I'm shooting for around 1500. I'm 5'8 and 240lbs.

What about you fellas? How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how many calories are you giving yourselves on work days and rest days? Would be interesting to know how we all relate

Replies

• shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    5 2 124 started on low carb so not really calorie counting but supposed to be 1200
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you planning on going to the gym until you get to your goal weight? Going to the gym will do two things:
    1) Help you get to your goal weight faster
    2) Help you have a better body when you get to your goal weight
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the gym but that being said, I do strength training at home. Strength training will help you retain your lean mass while losing weight, with the right amount of protein. Walking and working are great but you might consider some body weight exercises in addition to help you along. Best of luck.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you planning on going to the gym until you get to your goal weight? Going to the gym will do two things:

Because I get crazy butt sweat and I wanna spare others from seeing what I got going on.

Nah. I just decided to keep my focus on myself in a multi part strategy. First, I want to lose the weight by diet and my own exercise. I have my own little plans and things I'm shooting for. Right now I'm walking. When I lose 20lbs doing that, I'm doing couch to 5k and making running a hobby. Also going to try insanity. Then another 20lbs gone I'm going to buy a nice weight set at home and put together a killer weight routine.

Then phase two: I hit my goal weight of 150. Now I've made it. I've done something that's taken me more than a decade to do. Now it's time to bulk up. I'm getting a personal trainer and dedicating a ridiculous amount of time to getting into the best physical shape of my life. I want to spend that next year getting so buff I rip my shirts when I flex too hard. Being skinny and semi athletic (from running, some sports and weights at home) will give me a good foundation to build upon

But that's just my own personal plan. I agree with you about hitting the gym being a good thing along the way, but this is the way I want to do it. And I'm still getting some good exercise!
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the gym. When I first started MFP and wasn't going to the gym, I was usually in the 1800 range. I'm a shorty (5'7") and was 208 lbs starting. Adjusted MFP when I hit 10 lbs lost and it then lowered my calories daily to around 1730/1750. Lost that and now I'm down to 1710 a day. However, I usually exceed that since I'm doing weight training and need bit more for protein intake. I kind of understand where you're coming from. I wanted to see some pounds slide off, but I definitely see the pro in going to the gym if you're looking to build. You may not lose weight, but you're burning fat and putting on lean body mass. But, like you said, do it your way, especially if it's working for you.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    5'8 summer reached highest weight of 212. Started serious committed change October 1st. (195) Now weigh 147. Running, strength training at home. Kept calories at around 1500-1650 throughout.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    5'8 summer reached highest weight of 212. Started serious committed change October 1st. (195) Now weigh 147. Running, strength training at home. Kept calories at around 1500-1650 throughout.

Way to go man for staying committed. Proud of ya. Hope to be joining ya in the 50+lb weight loss club soon!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not hitting the gym til I get to my goal weight.

Huh? What? Logic broken.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    I'm personally not hitting the gym til I get to my goal weight.

Huh? What? Logic broken.

It's important everyone finds what works best for them. For me, because of my anxiety and other...issues, I get overwhelmed easily. The last few times I pushed myself too hard, gave up and went back to eating like a pig all the time. If I go all in right now and try to do everything at once, it'll freak me out and like the fatty I am, I'll use food to medicate myself. It's a sad repetitive cycle. That's why I'm focusing on one thing at a time. Start with diet, get good with sticking to it and slowly introduce other things like running and weights when I'm ready.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Because I get crazy butt sweat and I wanna spare others from seeing what I got going on.

Nah. I just decided to keep my focus on myself in a multi part strategy. First, I want to lose the weight by diet and my own exercise. I have my own little plans and things I'm shooting for. Right now I'm walking. When I lose 20lbs doing that, I'm doing couch to 5k and making running a hobby. Also going to try insanity. Then another 20lbs gone I'm going to buy a nice weight set at home and put together a killer weight routine.

Then phase two: I hit my goal weight of 150. Now I've made it. I've done something that's taken me more than a decade to do. Now it's time to bulk up. I'm getting a personal trainer and dedicating a ridiculous amount of time to getting into the best physical shape of my life. I want to spend that next year getting so buff I rip my shirts when I flex too hard. Being skinny and semi athletic (from running, some sports and weights at home) will give me a good foundation to build upon

But that's just my own personal plan. I agree with you about hitting the gym being a good thing along the way, but this is the way I want to do it. And I'm still getting some good exercise!

Bro. No. So much fail.

1.) anti monkey butt should help your butt sweat. (It's a real product, I'm not joking)

2.) I'm just going to take a moment to explain to you why you aren't going to be happy at your goal weight- and you sure as hell aren't going to bulk up in a year to where you can do the shirt rip.

As your body is in this caloric deficit you are going to be losing three things. Fat, water, and muscle.

I cannot even BEGIN to stress to you the importance of adequate protein and resistance and weight training at this time. This is your ONE chance to retain as much lean body mass as you possibly can while losing weight.

As you get smaller it takes less and less calories to maintain your weight. The most important factor in having a better metabolic rate is the amount of muscle mass you have. What does this mean? This means you will have a significantly lower metabolism, you will have to eat less SIGNIFICANTLY to maintain your loss.

Lets not even get started on aesthetics. You seem to talk about losing "weight" NOT losing FAT. The result of this haphazardous thinking is a body that looks smaller, but still has a significant amount of body fat. Who the hell cares if you're 150 if you're still in the 25% body fat range?

This is called skinny fat. Ill edit in a moment to show you pictures.

Now, other than the fact that you ill have a lower metabolism, still plenty of body fat, and unpleasant aesthetics lets talk about how much harder you're making it on yourself to FIX it.

Men- even those who are young with superior genetics gain about .5-1 pound of muscle per MONTH. In a newbie year you're still looking at 10-15 pounds MAX with perfect and consistent diet and training. With the damage you're thinking of doing good luck being happy with the results even 2-3 years of consistent lifting and proper diet if you want to be so ripped you can "flex and rip your shirt off".

I think you overestimate the effort and ability your body has to gain muscle. You also grossly underestimate the importance of retaining muscle while you still can.

Do yourself a favor and retain what you can now. Focus not on the "weight loss" but try and tip the scales in your favor and lose as much actual fat as you can. Track your bf% and ditch the scale!

Eta: I was going to post pics.... But meh. Do whatever you want to do. Just for reference I have OCD, GAD, and a personality disorder. Part of dealing with anxiety (other than medication) is learning to cope with it. You can't live your entire life on fear. Focus on improving yourself, focus on having a healthier body image. Calling yourself a porky or fatty or whatever and then medicating with food is just succumbing to the thought that your anxiety is in control. I've find lifting and improving my physique (hell even the exercise itself) to have a great impact on my levels of anxiety and overall quality of life. Take it from someone who's been there and is still paying for it three years later. Or not. The choice is yours.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options

Bro. No. So much fail.

1.) anti monkey butt should help your butt sweat. (It's a real product, I'm not joking)

2.) I'm just going to take a moment to explain to you why you aren't going to be happy at your goal weight- and you sure as hell aren't going to bulk up in a year to where you can do the shirt rip.

As your body is in this caloric deficit you are going to be losing three things. Fat, water, and muscle.

I cannot even BEGIN to stress to you the importance of adequate protein and resistance and weight training at this time. This is your ONE chance to retain as much lean body mass as you possibly can while losing weight.

As you get smaller it takes less and less calories to maintain your weight. The most important factor in having a better metabolic rate is the amount of muscle mass you have. What does this mean? This means you will have a significantly lower metabolism, you will have to eat less SIGNIFICANTLY to maintain your loss.

Lets not even get started on aesthetics. You seem to talk about losing "weight" NOT losing FAT. The result of this haphazardous thinking is a body that looks smaller, but still has a significant amount of body fat. Who the hell cares if you're 150 if you're still in the 25% body fat range?

This is called skinny fat. Ill edit in a moment to show you pictures.

Now, other than the fact that you ill have a lower metabolism, still plenty of body fat, and unpleasant aesthetics lets talk about how much harder you're making it on yourself to FIX it.

Men- even those who are young with superior genetics gain about .5-1 pound of muscle per MONTH. In a newbie year you're still looking at 10-15 pounds MAX with perfect and consistent diet and training. With the damage you're thinking of doing good luck being happy with the results even 2-3 years of consistent lifting and proper diet if you want to be so ripped you can "flex and rip your shirt off".

I think you overestimate the effort and ability your body has to gain muscle. You also grossly underestimate the importance of retaining muscle while you still can.

Do yourself a favor and retain what you can now. Focus not on the "weight loss" but try and tip the scales in your favor and lose as much actual fat as you can. Track your bf% and ditch the scale!

Eta: I was going to post pics.... But meh. Do whatever you want to do. Just for reference I have OCD, GAD, and a personality disorder. Part of dealing with anxiety (other than medication) is learning to cope with it. You can't live your entire life on fear. Focus on improving yourself, focus on having a healthier body image. Calling yourself a porky or fatty or whatever and then medicating with food is just succumbing to the thought that your anxiety is in control. I've find lifting and improving my physique (hell even the exercise itself) to have a great impact on my levels of anxiety and overall quality of life. Take it from someone who's been there and is still paying for it three years later. Or not. The choice is yours.

It's amazing how judgemental people can be on a forum where people are fixing themselves. Your "so much fail. You're doing it wrong" approach is reminiscent of Jehovah witnesses knocking on my door because despite the fact that they don't know me or anything about me, will preach til their blue in the face about how I need to be saved by Jesus. At least you're not telling me I need to eat clean or die from dangerous toxin build up in my body from processed foods.

I'm learning how to eat right and doing well at that for the first time in my life. I'm getting exercise. I'm taking up jogging. I have goals that I'm excited to reach. But I'm doing it all wrong because I won't exercise the way you want me to? I know myself better than you do and I've seen the triggers and what I respond to. So projecting your own life story to try to tell me how I should tailor my weight loss plan is probably not the most effective way to communicate with someone huh? I know about maintaining muscle. I get plenty of that through diet and my active nursing job. I feel like you're response was tailored to some anorexic that's totally given up on life.

Also: I was happy at my goal weight. I was happy even heavier than that. So how are you going to tell me I won't be happy? You're making so many unfounded assumptions it really makes me question where you're coming from and what your goal was in even making your post. The entire point of the original post was to just to ask what everyone else's calorie budget was for the activity they're doing. You start posting about how I'm doing everything wrong because I'm dieting and exercise but because I won't go to the gym I'm gonna be unhappy when I lose the weight? What the heck are you thinking?

I'm not offended. Just a little taken aback by someone missing that "preachy" filter that most people usually have. I'm sure your intentions are good, but damn..."bro so much fail" is a crappy way to communicate
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Okay then. You state you want to be buff and ripped and then get offended when someone tells you your current plan of action isn't going to work?

I took the no bro approach in jest as the post I quoted was also joking. I was truly intending to be helpful.

Please continue with "whatever works for you". Although it seems unwise to completely ignore the advice of someone familiar on the subject.

Your entire question was somewhat silly to begin with considering everyone will have a different body fat percentage, height, weight, age, and activity level.

Find out your tdee with the plethora of online calculators or invest in a fitbit or something similar. Eat less than your tdee.

Or whatever works best for you...
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Okay then. You state you want to be buff and ripped and then get offended when someone tells you your current plan of action isn't going to work?

Being buffed and ripped is an eventual goal after working on myself in other areas. Not something i need to do right now this very second. I thought that was obvious by the fact that i'm not going to the gym right now? Maybe you were confused. I'll forgive you.

then get offended when someone tells you

I think you missed the last part where i said i wasn't offended. Just a little confused by your reaction to my post that was simply asking what people were doing that works for them. There's lots of posts just like mine.
    I took the no bro approach in jest as the post I quoted was also joking. I was truly intending to be helpful.

I'm sure you were. Hey. I even said "i'm sure your intentions are good". Its just...getting off topic in the first place wasn't very helpful. Thats all
    Please continue with "whatever works for you". Although it seems unwise to completely ignore the advice of someone familiar on the subject.

Unwise huh. Well, i've read a lot. Listened to a lot of people and i always try to keep my ears open. Didn't mean to make it seem like i was offended. Just a mix of "you're off topic" and "i already know so why are you telling me when i haven't even asked". Then you proceeded to tell me i was wrong for doing it the way i want and well you know...came off as unwanted preachiness.
    Your entire question was somewhat silly to begin with considering everyone will have a different body fat percentage, height, weight, age, and activity level.

Find out your tdee with the plethora of online calculators or invest in a fitbit or something similar. Eat less than your tdee.

I know it's silly. Aren't most on here that basically say the same thing? Like i said in the OP, just wanted to see how we all relate. Why did you go on to tell me to search for my TDEE? I have a fitbit one and i know what calories to shoot for. So...? Are you....MAKING ASSUMPTIONS AGAIN?!?!?! How dare you. lol Statements like that confuse ME, because i already stated i had my own calorie budget. So why tell me to search for information i already know? It's not like i don't know what to do for myself. The whole point was just curiosity to see what others were doing and-- oh god. My brain hurts. And you tell me MY logic is broken. Anyway, i'm rambling. I get it. We're cool. Not offended. Just confused by the miscommunication between your posts and mine. Cool? Nice profile pic. G'night!
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dude, she gave you tough love.
    I don't agree with the "tone" of her message, but the content of it is pretty solid. You should re-read what she posted and take it as helpful advice (it is, really) and stop being so defensive.

Good luck on your journey!
    :D
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Dude, she gave you tough love.
    I don't agree with the "tone" of her message, but the content of it is pretty solid. You should re-read what she posted and take it as helpful advice (it is, really) and stop being so defensive.

Good luck on your journey!
    :D

Yeah...i should stop myself from rambling because apparently, people take it as being offended. Having a miscommunication and talking it out = dude why are you defensive?!

But thanks! Good luck on your journey too!
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    btw, I dislike gyms too but I still workout.
    What I do is workout at home, using videos from fitnessblender.com and workout dvds

You should check that out. fitness blender even has some workout programs that you can buy if you are totally lost and overwhelmed by the amount of workout videos they have. the programs are cheap too
  • lewisjamesmills
    Options
    I find myself in the same boat as you do, I'm currently at 252 pounds after a horrific sports injury when I was 16. I was a promising young footballer who probably would have made it at a a very high level had I listened to my coaches and not gone against their word.

I am now 21 and in 5 years I have put on just over 7 stone (admittedly 90% my fault, no one made me eat huge amounts and drink huge amounts).. but I have decided its time to do something about it.

I am also on a calorie counting diet, my target is 1300 calories a day paying a lot of attention to the guideline daily intakes of fats and proteins etc, and its not in my plan to go to the gym until I reach my target weight (phase 1) of 196 pounds. My issue is, because I was so physically fit and had an athletic body before my injury, the only place where I have put a vast amount of weight on is my abdominal area. My arms, legs and face are still very much thin (ish).

I went on a diet at the start of 2013 using a calorie counting method and I lost just under 35 pounds, the visual difference was astonishing. Because I thought I was doing well and I felt a whole lot better I decided to give football another go, and low and behold... I got injured again. I'm sure you can imagine what happened next? I piled the weight back on.

So this year I have decided to go about it the right way, I have set myself goals and checkpoints just like yourself. I can very much relate to your situation and your chosen way of going about things.

Good luck in your regime buddy..