exercising in evening

Options
I went to the gym and walked on treadmill about 20 minutes and then did body pump on Monday and Wednesday this week. Both nights I came home just exhausted. I ate showered and went to sleep (before 9!) I had heard exercising at night can keep you up, but I was so worm out! I did Body Vive this am and feel fine now - not tired at all. I am going to try to adjust my schedule but I work longer hours on M & W so late afternoon/evening is best time for me to go. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• peaches67
    Options
    I always work out in the evenings...and I am always ready for bed by 8pm... I think working a full time job and being a single mom and working out at least 5 days a week, well I am just tired...so I don't worry too much about it!!
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i always get my workouts in at night. i just love the feeling of working out, getting tired, shower, relax for a bit and bed. it actually helps me unwind and sleep better! (that and i am just totally not a morning person!!) lol
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    Personally, I do not have the energy for a very effective workout after work. Yes to answer your questtion, the same thing happens to me. If I do exercise at night, I hit the shower and go right to sleep. Morning workouts are much better for me, but I admit I have a hard time getting out of bed!
  • MrBuckeye
    Options
    Keeps me up!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Can't exercise to late after supper...have trouble winding down to get to sleep!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I would love to workout in the AM but can not get by lazy butt out of bed. If I am not studying or writing a paper all night, then I can usually have time to workout in the evening and I usually feel fine unless I have another reason to be super tired.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    yea i never have the time to exercise during the day cuz its so busy!!! but i believe it is different for everyone- i know a lot of doctors and people think it will keep u up...but personally i like exercising at night, and it doesnt bother my sleep 1 bit...just do what feels right- if it begins to mess with your sleeps cycle- quit it...otherwise go for it!
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    I have to be careful when I run, becasue sometimes it keeps me up, sometimes it wears me out. Two nights ago, it was almost 2 when I finally went to sleep. My alarm went off at 6:30. Bad day for Lindsay!!! :sad:
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    if i work out in the am i feel good and energized- if i work out in the pm- i shower and sleep like a baby :) i guess i have the perfect match ..
  • Kippster
    Kippster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just do what works best for you... I like an evening workout, because i'm not a morning person at all. But i work shift work so sometimes i have to do a morning workout (just not to early...hehe...) when i work evenings and when i work nights i try in the late afternoon and of coarse on day shift i do it in the evening, same with my days off. There's no right or wrong as long as it suits you.:smile:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I always exercise at night (about 7pm) and I'm in bed between 10:30 and 11. I think it helps me study because I'm more focused after a work out.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    There are times i just wanna get up at sunup and go out in the cold and go for a long walk, but the willingness to get out of bed is a different story. I usually exercise late mornings into afternoons and have no problem getting to sleep.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Cari- I am definitely with you here!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    i always get my workouts in at night. i just love the feeling of working out, getting tired, shower, relax for a bit and bed. it actually helps me unwind and sleep better! (that and i am just totally not a morning person!!) lol

Not sure why the quote didn't post the first time, but these are exactly all the reasons why I work out in the evening. Also, I am a school teacher and must get up at 5:30 each morning so that has a lot to do with why I don't work out in the a.m.! lol
  • sudha336
    sudha336 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in the evenings. I tried exercising in the morning, but I find that I feel really tired during the day if I dont get that half hour sleep in the morning. so I work out in the evening when I get home from work, and then shower dinner, and sleep. It actually gives me a good sleep, and I think it is a good thing.