Get sick of meat - is there any science to this?

Options
Hi team! I'm back in the game, and I've learned that high protein/low carb works really well for me to trim down.

My biggest problem is that I get sick of that much meat, in a way that I never get sick of carbs. Does anyone know why this might be? Any science to this? Any tips and/or easy sources of protein that are more palatable in large doses?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You might be getting satiated faster, on top of not much variety. Incorporate different meats and get creative with dishes. You don't have to eat a ton of meat on a low-carb diet.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, Carnivor0us! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I get sick of meat easily, too. All I can suggest is Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powders, nuts, seeds and beans. Though I don't know if those latter work with your carb restrictions.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, Carnivor0us! :)

no problem! :)

Try to consume more eggs and perhaps dairy. Or, if you're carb tolerant enough, maybe some quinoa or buckwheat. I don't know if you've got an African food market around you but I buy my goat meat from markets like that and slow cook it. Maybe even try different kinds of offal if you have a taste for that kind of thing. Beef heart can make great fajitas, for instance.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    I get sick of meat easily, too. All I can suggest is Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powders, nuts, seeds and beans. Though I don't know if those latter work with your carb restrictions.

If beans count, that rocks. I'm not going crazy low carb, just lowering carbs so I can eat fewer calories and stay full. I'm starving on 1200 calories of a carb-heavy diet, but 1200 cals of egg/chicken and I'm happy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I get sick of that much meat, in a way that I never get sick of carbs. Does anyone know why this might be?

It's your body's way of telling you that you're doing it wrong.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I get sick of that much meat, in a way that I never get sick of carbs. Does anyone know why this might be?

I am presuming she doesn't mean actually sick. Just bored of eating the same old thing.
  • bbvsusan
    Options
    Cottage cheese yes! And eggs, fish … And experiment with seasonings. We eat a lot of chicken breast but it's almost always a little different.
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's all I can do to actually eat any meat. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese gives you tons of protein and is actually pretty good. You could also add some unflavored protein powder to any other protein drink or juices you might drink.
  • abi_bennett
    abi_bennett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    there are loads of other ways of eating protein other than meat, thats why the human race are omnivores - we can EASILY survive without eating meat, maybe try going vegetarian for a while until you get that hankering for meat again?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I am presuming she doesn't mean actually sick. Just bored of eating the same old thing.

That feeling of looking at a meal and feeling that low-down gut sensation of "ugh...if I have to eat this one more time I swear I'll..."...

That feeling is your body telling you're doing it wrong.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    almond butter, nuts , kashi cereal , protein shakes ... kicking up the recipes with the meats that you eat ..just google away . the internet is chock full of variety
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What about fish and seafood instead
  • icerafta
    Options
    When someone eats a hi carb meal, it spikes the blood sugar and you experience an insulin dump, which crashes your blood sugar and the body becomes hungry for more hi carb foods to try and achieve balance. It's a vicious circle. There is always sugar free candies and low sugar jams and stuff like that and those will help a sweet tooth if used sparingly. If you try to keep your meals leafy greens and a variety of proteins, your appetite will be almost non existent and it will be easier on your body and you will feel great! I try to avoid beans because they are full of starch and that metabolizes to sugar and there goes the blood sugar roller coaster. If you are nearing your goal, then start with small amounts of beans, depending on your carb tolerance. As for the meat overload, I get my protein in soft boiled eggs in the AM, protein powder on my salads at lunch and maybe some chicken in the evening.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    When someone eats a hi carb meal, it spikes the blood sugar and you experience an insulin dump, which crashes your blood sugar and the body becomes hungry for more hi carb foods to try and achieve balance. It's a vicious circle. There is always sugar free candies and low sugar jams and stuff like that and those will help a sweet tooth if used sparingly. If you try to keep your meals leafy greens and a variety of proteins, your appetite will be almost non existent and it will be easier on your body and you will feel great! I try to avoid beans because they are full of starch and that metabolizes to sugar and there goes the blood sugar roller coaster. If you are nearing your goal, then start with small amounts of beans, depending on your carb tolerance. As for the meat overload, I get my protein in soft boiled eggs in the AM, protein powder on my salads at lunch and maybe some chicken in the evening.

thanks! :) that's a helpful explanation for carb cravings. I haven't found a protein powder I just love yet but sounds like it's time. Gelatin is one more way I've found to eat protein, by the way - I make gelatin with tea for a zero-carb, all protein snack.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    What about fish and seafood instead

Man, I wish I could do seafood! So good for you, but I don't normally like much seafood even when I'm not trying to go high-protein. Except for sushi.... yumyumyum :):)
  • heykatieben
    Options
    It's all I can do to actually eat any meat. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese gives you tons of protein and is actually pretty good. You could also add some unflavored protein powder to any other protein drink or juices you might drink.

Unflavored protein powder! I hadn't heard of such a thing. Thanks! :)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just have 25 - 30 percent of your calories from protein, and if your goal is to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit. This works.
    Personally, I've been a little low on the protein but it hasn't had a negative effect yet.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also get sick of meat (not physically--I just don't crave it multiple times a day), and I don't think eating tons of meat is very environmentally responsible anyway (hippy alert--yeah, I know). I rely a lot of non-meat protein sources in addition to meat (as you can guess from my screen name)--beans, nuts, eggs, yogurt, quinoa, greens, protein powder, and, yes, tempeh and tofu. :)

I also try to vary the meat I eat, which helps me from getting bored. I used to just eat chicken and tilapia, which got old fast! Now I eat many different kinds of fish and meats. I made short ribs for the first time tonight (yum!) and have gotten weirdly into sardines. :) I think its especially fun to experiment with unusual cuts of meat.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you find success on a High Meat/Low Carb diet because you are limited a major group of food which is often associated with high calories. Thus, you're really finding success because you're getting a calorie deficit. The meat has nothing to do with it. I know a lot of people with disagree with me, but eating a lot of meat is not a healthy choice. Try to add more vegetables to your diet and just count calories. Figure out the numbers based on YOU and be consistent until your reach your goal. All the best!