New: MFP vs. LoseIt and why?

Options
Hi Everyone,
This past holiday season, my family got me a new Fitbit Flex and a treadmill to help me continue my rehab of a knee replacement last Feb. It is way too cold and icy to walk outside here in WI.

In the past I have used LoseIt to tract myself, but at a cost of $40/yr. I have been told by many that I should use MFP instead.

So, I am looking for some help and comparison on the topic.

Thank you and here is to an active 2014 for everyone.

Feel free to add me. Friends are great motivators!

Take care!

Replies

• jpads1234
    jpads1234 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    how do you like your fitbit I just order one on line. I pretty new to MFP but love it so far
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    MFP! It's free + It's easy (huge food database) + Any diet questions can be found on here, answered. Only bad features of MFP is the judgement, annoying individuals, and the rare obscure food you cannot find in the food database.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Never tried loseit but I'm loving MFP. Only been here a little over a month and a half. Yes some people do get in a high horse but it's sometimes amusing too... :) I just ordered a fitbit myself !! Can't wait to use it!! Best of luck to you !!
  • okcfitguy123
    Options
    I've actually quit using lose it in place of MFP. The community on Lose it is really limited and the tools used are really under developed.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    All the cool kids are on MFP.
  • SteelerPaz
    SteelerPaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Scott... i love Fitbit. I started with a Fitbit Zip, but it went through the washer and dryer. It came out still working, though. Shortly after that, it seem to go through batteries way too frequently. I am guess something happened to it. So, then my wife got me a Fitbit Flex. I like it more because it is always on your wrist instead of remembering to take it out of your pocket or belt.

Thanks everyone with your feedback. i am still testing MFP and so far so good. It is different, but good.

Best of luck to everyone!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50 pounds on MFP...I love it
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Loseit is very cool but their food selections are not where MFP is. They have a really great website, but, everyone is here...sooo...that means their food / meal selections are low. Additionally, Loseit CHARGES.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    All the cool kids are on MFP.

True story...
  • mistyvp
    Options
    Based on the same exact information, Lose it is giving me 300 MORE calories PER DAY, or 2,100 MORE calories PER week than MFP is giving me.

I don't get it.
  • joshgrignon
    Options
    mistyvp wrote: »
    Based on the same exact information, Lose it is giving me 300 MORE calories PER DAY, or 2,100 MORE calories PER week than MFP is giving me.

I don't get it.

That is because Lose It's calorie budget incorporates how many calories it believes you will burn during your daily activities based on weight, height, etc. MFP does not. I realized this after purchasing the premium Lose It membership and the step calculation did not add calories burned and instead would only say I burned calories after I took 7500 steps. Lose It estimated that I would walk 7500 steps each day and therefore not until I went over those steps would it add to calories burned. MFP does not do this and as you walk around it is translating steps into calories burned.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    At the moment, LoseIt's recipe generator runs circles around the broken one here. Therefore, I must recommend LoseIt.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    LoseIt's database is mostly comprised of US foods.